• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with Mens Wearhouse?

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric23
They said it should be ready by tomorrow or Monday, would that mean that they already started the altering though, considering how little altering was needed?

That has little bearing on the larger equasion. You bought the suit and you need to man up to it take it for what its worth and make the best out of it.

In a few years you will learn that the time it takes to deal with all that you could have made enough to buy 20 more suits 20 times as expensive.

Best lesson you can take out of this is one of integerty and honoring your part of the deal that you made when you bought the suit.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
This is what I recommend for a first suit, because it's quite modern, very versatile, and inexpensive at $140.

B000GU00LI.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V60583908_.jpg

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...I&frombrowse=1

Certainly it's not a Brioni or Attolini but it should last through an interview season with no problems. I own a couple of these and use them for travel suits and they've held up remarkably well. I'd recommend visiting a local store and checking it out. As I mentioned earlier, prices are $110-140 usually, they're sold as separates so make sure you get the matching pants and jacket.

In fact its not even a fraction as nice as the one you did purchase.

rayk

Reaction score
What would seem most important is, at least to my mind, the gentleman's desire to appear properly clad, albeit in garments that most here would find not to their standards. The development of personal style is far more important than the choice of specific items. I couldn't count the times I've seen someone in a suit of lesser than great material and/or construction look terrific and exude unbridled personal confidence and style. It's more than clothes, gentleman. I'm confident that with the tutelage of this forum, our neophyte will bloom into his own distinctive stylish person. Each journey must begin somewhere. Eric23, advice is free (usually); take of it what you wish; disregard the rest. IMHO, you're off to a propitious start.

Hey, Charlie, how in hell have you been?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. Even fused keyholed lapel stuff from JC Penney can look good if the trousers, sleeves, and accessories are properly done. Style does go beyond the quality a bit in how well you do with what you have.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a ******* suit, it's the same quality as 90% of the suits worn by men who need to wear suits.

i think everyone forgets that we represent the .5% of men who give a **** about clothing, and that in the end, none of this really matters.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is badly overpriced, especially when you take the cost of alterations into account. Eric, if it's possible, return the suit and look for something either less expensive but of similar quality or something of similar price but higher quality. There's no reason to spend $300+ on that thing.

And don't listen to Gladhatter. He's a recently joined member who is known for his incoherence and logorrhea.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
E-23: The question you asked was "What's wrong with Mens Wearhouse?" The answer is simple, nothing as long as you know what you're looking for, know what you want, you know what you DON'T want and know how to ask questions. It's the same as any other shop.

You also know how to ignore salespeople when they make marsupialed comments, like "This is what everyone's wearing now..." when it's obvious that the salesperson is trying to sell me something just to clear inventory. I've replied simply: "Do I LOOK like everyone else? Do I LOOK like I want to dress like everyone else?" Be polite but firm with salespeople when you want what you want.

Also, does it pass the Marty McFly test? If you were dropped off by a time machine 10 or 15 years into the past, would you still look great? If you were dropped off 10 or 15 years into the future? Is your suit trendy, or is it timeless?

I also have to throw-down with VMan... it's a suit. If you're thinking too much about it, you've taken your eye off the ball and you're ignoring something else that's more important. Be more concerned about what's on your resume and what's between your ears then the shirt on your back.

Those are my answers to your question. Other answers may very.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren Fisk
E-23: The question you asked was "What's wrong with Mens Wearhouse?" The answer is simple, nothing as long as you know what you're looking for, know what you want, you know what you DON'T want and know how to ask questions. It's the same as any other shop. You also know how to ignore salespeople when they make marsupialed comments, like "This is what everyone's wearing now..." when it's obvious that the salesperson is trying to sell me something just to clear inventory. I've replied simply: "Do I LOOK like everyone else? Do I LOOK like I want to dress like everyone else?" Be polite but firm with salespeople when you want what you want. Also, does it pass the Marty McFly test? If you were dropped off by a time machine 10 or 15 years into the past, would you still look great? If you were dropped off 10 or 15 years into the future? Is your suit trendy, or is it timeless? Those are my answers to your question. Other answers may very.
I think the simple answer to the question is that they push overpriced, mediocre products onto people who don't know better. As far as Gladhatter goes:
goodbye2va1.jpg

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two active issues addressed in this thread. First of all, the starter topic, "what is wrong with Men's Warehouse," ellicits a knee jerk reaction from many forumites, who, during their first forray into formalwear, probably got suckered into buying from Men's Warehouse. I am one of those people. The suit was perfectly functional for my highschool Junior Statesman and Model UN conferences, etc. but the price:quality was definitely suspect. The worst part of the entire experience was the extra 100-200 bucks they bled from their customers via cheap poly/cotton dress shirts and ties. I probably wore my blend shirts no more than 3-4 times, while the ties received at least a dozen wearings. My mom and I were definitely "sold" product.

RE: The suit. Probably not a great value. In fact, definitely not a suit forumites would recommend (using the same budget parameters). Despite these criticisms, its a suit, meets your needs, and will probably provide you with the confidence to score/excel at your first job. Think of SF as an addiction/leaning experience.

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
I think the simple answer to the question is that they push overpriced, mediocre products onto people who don't know better.
That gets back to being an educated consumer. You have to know what you want, how much you want to pay. Period. It's not just the label that counts, it's how you wear it. How you carry yourself and handle the world around you is just as important as what you're wearing.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Also, does it pass the Marty McFly test? If you were dropped off by a time machine 10 or 15 years into the past, would you still look great? If you were dropped off 10 or 15 years into the future? Is your suit trendy, or is it timeless?
Honestly... I don't think it'll last all that long.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. What is all this bull excrement I missed in this thread? Call me weird but initially Gladhatter and his crazed hat wearing cronies (which maybe was his nemesis?) were malign. But now...
Anyway as another MW recovering victim, I needed a navy suit for an interview fast! Did not end up using it because alterations took too long and I did not make it there in time but it is serviceable. But as for price versus quality, just AWFUL. For what I paid for that alone back then I have purchased 2-3 Corneliani suits. But that is now.
Drizzt's recommendation is pretty sound. I was at Target today and while they are unspectacular they are inexpensive and certainly serviceable.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Call me weird but initially Gladhatter and his crazed hat wearing cronies (which maybe was his nemesis?) were malign
Do you mean benign?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Do you mean benign?

Damn, good catch. I guess at least subconsciously I knew all along, eh?
biggrin.gif

eric23

Reaction score
I was able to catch them before alterations were made and returned the suit crediting back $350. I then head over next door to Macy's and bought an Alfani 3 button solid charcoal suit for $140. I will post pics in a couple minutes (before any alterations are made....)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads