• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of these shoes? (Sutor Mantellassi)

makushin

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good merlot or burgundy to wear with with suits. I like these shoes but my girlfriend says they look purple. I don't want to be the guy in the purple shoes. What do you think of these?

shoes.jpg

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like. just use some merlot or burgundy shoe cream and polish, and after a few creams/polishes they won't look so purple. which website is that photo from btw?

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good.

*cough* time for a new girlfriend *cough*

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get another girlfriend..iI tend to agree with Doc on the fact that they will look good with jeans ,chinos but not with a suit..

They are too countryside...

Gaziano & Girling are doing lovely rioja ,merlot patinas on the MTO models....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are very nice looking shoes but maybe not for a typical business suit? I see them with a sport coat or more casual suit like corduroy or tweed. They would look awesome with jeans and almost any jacket.

andyw

Reaction score
It is not purple, and definitely a red............more like a Malbec if you ask me.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
The shoes look great. Very good color. Nice and sleek. It's a city shoe. I wouldn't wear this with jeans.

rtd01

Reaction score
I seriously considered purchasing these shoes at a local store a number of months ago. I agree with the previous posters. They're great shoes. They're definitely burgundy, and in normal light (whether outside or inside) the color is more subtle than appears under the apparently bright light for the photo. I was also looking for burgundy shoes to wear with suits, however, and reluctantly concluded that these wouldn't work that well with suits. But they would be great for business casual, with heavier pants and jacket or sweater.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
b.jpg

These are the kind of shoes that scare me. They're about the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Before I joined SF, I had a clothing habit, but I wouldn't have dreamed of blowing even $500 on a pair of shoes. Here I am, staring at these $1000 babies and trying to convince myself they're a good value.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makushin
I've been looking for a good merlot or burgundy to wear with with suits. I like these shoes but my girlfriend says they look purple. I don't want to be the guy in the purple shoes. What do you think of these?

shoes.jpg

These will look damn good with a sult. Don't waste these beautiful shoes on a pair of jeans
plain.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they would look good with a suit, but it would render the outfit more "casual", IMO. Personally, I would probably wear these shoes with a sportcoat (probably, preferably with my mauve herringbone one).
I would definitely not worry about being the guy with the purple shoes (unless I worked in an environment where my boss or clients might have concerns about it. Luckily enough, I don't).

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
b.jpg
Before I joined SF, I had a clothing habit, but I wouldn't have dreamed of blowing even $500 on a pair of shoes. Here I am, staring at these $1000 babies and trying to convince myself they're a good value.

+1000 Al though last spring upped my game and got several Santoni's, which are priced 700$ and upp here. I have been pondering the question of color to ... And may well end up with a pair of shoes in "deep aubergine". Is that egplant for you US gents? What do you think, and we ARE talking wholecut here
biggrin.gif
As I dont apreciater the Santoni Limited look, or the Berlutti for that matter. All though their simpler shoes are NICE, just saw a post with a Alessandro. Scafora may have some thing to ... Hmmm I would like something with a twist ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads