• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Just finished Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It was great. Should I bother trying to piece the fragments together for the purpose of understanding the linearity of the story? The plot isn't completely tenable, but I'm wondering if you can infer anything about the underlying mechanism for all the dreams and characters' parallels within their different degrees of reality. I'm still dying to know what was in the spy's envelope.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freakonomics isn't about the conclusions they draw, particularly their abortion-falling-crime-rate example, but that's what's talked about the most. It's about using economic theories to understand situations. People zero in on the "controversial" points and then discredit the whole book because that's what they like to do. If you want to read an interesting book about economics as a useful epistemological methodology with colorful examples, then read it. If you want to play high school debate club (which the authors, unfortunately, love to do on their blog) it probably won't be for you.

sephlod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carraway
Zen-and-the-Art-of-Motorcycle-Maintenance-9780060589462.jpg

Read that a while ago, it was okay. I'm not sold on it being a cult classic though. It's good, just not incredible

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Just finished "Picture of Dorian Grey." About to start reading "Roots" again. Then I'll probably read something by Trotsky.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man? I've heard very mixed reviews, so I'm wondering if you guys had any opinions. I'm mainly curious to know if it seems accurate or if it's just a bunch of hot air, like something Alex Jones (an insane conspiracy theorist) would write.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Has anyone read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man? I've heard very mixed reviews, so I'm wondering if you guys had any opinions. I'm mainly curious to know if it seems accurate or if it's just a bunch of hot air, like something Alex Jones (an insane conspiracy theorist) would write.

I liked it. Interesting stuff... but I think most of it is fiction.
laugh.gif

He talks about the Amazon and there is truth to what he says about the treatment of the Natives.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
The abortion one immediately comes to mind.
It was widely debated, I don't think I have read a comprehensive argument-quasher though. Plenty of people batted around the sides of it, and lots of people found moral excuses to try and discredit it, and when I read those arguments, I got the impression they were being put forward by people who didn't actually read the book, and as such I am yet to see it be logically and rationally defeated. Indeed I read a revised version where some of the arguments and counter arguments were presented in the final pages, and came across this quote from The New York Times article that spawned it all:
Daniel Hamermesh, a prominent labor economist at the University of Texas, has taught Levitt’s paper “The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime” to his undergraduates. “I’ve gone over this paper in draft, in its printed version, at great length, and for the life of me I can’t see anything wrong with it,” Hamermesh says. “On the other hand, I don’t believe a word of it.”
Still, open to reading further to hear it discredited and would welcome any links to that end. Anyhow, whatever, I enjoyed Freakonomics, liked the way they applied economic thinking and statistical modelling into places where it basically has no business being, and enjoyed the authors' innate curiosity and the way the stories were told. I am now a few chapters into the sequel. When that is done, spb_lady and I will be joint tackling The Brothers Karamazov (her in Russian, me in English).

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am 105 pages into Ulysses. Might actually finish it this time!

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Am 105 pages into Ulysses. Might actually finish it this time!

worship.gif

60 pages was my best result
facepalm.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Anyhow, whatever, I enjoyed Freakonomics, liked the way they applied economic thinking and statistical modelling into places where it basically has no business being, and enjoyed the authors' innate curiosity and the way the stories were told. I am now a few chapters into the sequel.

One thing I enjoyed about the sequel was that I realized I had participated in many of the studies (especially in the section about John List).

My memory is a bit foggy but I know there was one where they talk about Men vs Women on how they perform on SAT-style math questions if they are given incentives to do better...I was in one of the groups that got paid per question answered correctly (and you'd better believe I made some money that day
smile.gif
).
Also have done some ultimatum games. I know that almost everybody does these in school but I remember doing some particularly high stakes ones in the lab that Levitt/List use (I remember because the douche on the other side rejected my offer....I certainly didn't offer him 50% but I didn't lowball him either).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads