• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
A few pages into:

blackswan.jpg

i was greately impressed by this book!
worship.gif
what is your opinion?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spb_lady
I'm reading Jorge Luis Borges The garden of forking paths and The book of sand

Garden of Forking Paths is really good, not my favorite Borges (that would probably be Death and the Compass), but a really cool story. He's one of my main writing influences right now.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
war.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
I really need to start reading more, what are some must read books?
Start with Shakespeare, otherwise you might read stuff posted in this thread and think it's good. You might as well start with the start to avoid deluding and distracting yourself. I'd suggest Spenser, but he's not as accessible without knowledge of other subjects and forms.

kakemono

Reaction score

I, having cliff-noted my way through high school, grabbed a high school summer reading list and picked out some classics off that list when I made my first push into reading again. They usually do a good job laying a foundation.

Frankenstein
Dorian Gray
Heart of Darkness

They are a high school reading level which allows you to plow through them pretty quickly.

/shrug
It depends what you are looking for...

Treen

Reaction score
Currently rereading Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh. Makes me want to speak in a Scottish accent.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you want to read stuff you like, or do you want a cultural background?

If you want to read purely for pleasure, I would say that there is no "must read". Trawl used bookstores, take chances, accept and read (or at least preview) everything anyone recommends to you.

If you want to read for cultural background, you might do best starting with short stories. You'll get a sense of what Hemingway, Chandler, Garcia Marquez, etc. are about, but without the lengthy trawl of a novel. Don Barthelme recommended that his writing students read all philosophy and all literature before beginning their work, but also said that they could settle for reading Chekhov's oeuvre. For sheer knock-your-socks-off virtuosity, I'm partial to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster, Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything Is Illuminated, the short stories of Jorge Luis Borges, the poems of Byron, and the plays of Tom Stoppard.

Aaargh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Do you want to read stuff you like, or do you want a cultural background? If you want to read purely for pleasure, I would say that there is no "must read". Trawl used bookstores, take chances, accept and read (or at least preview) everything anyone recommends to you. If you want to read for cultural background, you might do best starting with short stories. You'll get a sense of what Hemingway, Chandler, Garcia Marquez, etc. are about, but without the lengthy trawl of a novel. Don Barthelme recommended that his writing students read all philosophy and all literature before beginning their work, but also said that they could settle for reading Chekhov's oeuvre. For sheer knock-your-socks-off virtuosity, I'm partial to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster, Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything Is Illuminated, the short stories of Jorge Luis Borges, the poems of Byron, and the plays of Tom Stoppard.
Such lists could be made almost infinite but here are some of my suggestions: Maybe some of the classics, I'd consider The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius and stuff like that good things to read if you want to educate yourself. Kafka is another, more modern ,author that springs to mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads