• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
War and Peace

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Zen and the art of motorcylce maintenance - about a third of the way through and thoroughly enjoying it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anna Karenina

It's long as ****. i'm enjoying it though. I'm reading on my iphone to/from work. starting to think about a kindle again...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
This sounds like Hell. Go spend $15 and buy a paperback.

Honestly, I like reading on the phone in some respects. I'm using stanza and using black background and white text, and i turn the brightness down to read. I would much sooner get a kindle than a paperback. You eventually get used to the frequent page-turns. The most annoying thing is the glare, but since the device is small, it's not so hard to angle it to reduce glare. with the larger screen of an ipad, i'd go crazy though. The nice thing about reading on the phone is that i don't have to carry anything extra around with me, and I always have it. When i go to lunch, i just set it on the table and can read without having to hold the book open, which is kinda hard to do while eating, obviously.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Honestly, I like reading on the phone in some respects. I'm using stanza and using black background and white text, and i turn the brightness down to read. I would much sooner get a kindle than a paperback. You eventually get used to the frequent page-turns. The most annoying thing is the glare, but since the device is small, it's not so hard to angle it to reduce glare. with the larger screen of an ipad, i'd go crazy though. The nice thing about reading on the phone is that i don't have to carry anything extra around with me, and I always have it. When i go to lunch, i just set it on the table and can read without having to hold the book open, which is kinda hard to do while eating, obviously.

To tell the truth, I have an irrational attachment to books as objects. As a corollary, I view the new reader technologies with anger, fear, and resentment. What you say may be true, but I'm not yet ready to listen.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Have you noticed how those 19th century chabbies seem to like those titles with 'something' AND 'something' else? War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice etc...le rouge et le noir...

Moby and dick etc.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anna Karenina is one of my all-time best reads. Fantastic stuff on what happens if you pursue happiness rather than "do the right thing". Tragic since it's just so. War and Peace has so far been too much for me. I've tried and it puts me to sleep around page 50. Guess I didn't try hard enough.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Have you noticed how those 19th century chabbies seem to like those titles with 'something' AND 'something' else? War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice etc...le rouge et le noir...
That's more of a Jane Austen convention, and the antithetical War and Peace is a lot different from the comparitive Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Love and Freindship, etc. titles Austen enjoyed. I can't think of any other English novelist who regularly titled their works in such a way. Besides, Tolstoy was probably too giddy for Dickens' next serial to know much about Jane Austen. Honest question: What's with the adoration of golden age Russian authors in translation? It's so cheap. You're not more intelligent for abutting Anna Karenina (A New Barnes and Noble Edition) to Who Moved My Cheese? on your Ikea bookshelf. You just look like a pretentious goon. If Stalin and Kruschev didn't confound Americans for decades the esoterism of Russian authors would've never preceded their merit as much as it has.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's more of a Jane Austen convention, and the antithetical War and Peace is a lot different from the comparitive Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Love and Freindship, etc. titles Austen enjoyed. I can't think of any other English novelist who regularly titled their works in such a way.

Besides, Tolstoy was probably too giddy for Dickens' next serial to know much about Jane Austen.

Honest question: What's with the adoration of golden age Russian authors in translation? It's so cheap. You're not more intelligent for abutting Anna Karenina (A New Barnes and Noble Edition) to Who Moved My Cheese? on your Ikea bookshelf. You just look like a pretentious goon. If Stalin and Kruschev didn't confound Americans for decades the esoterism of Russian authors would've never preceded their merit as much as it has.

Didn't know IKEA was popular in America too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmaxx-xrbuy