• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 miles through Rock Creek Park followed by a beer and crab cake on the Georgetown waterfront. Had a new Sea Stallion flyover as well! When I left and was on the Key Bridge heading home two of the President's Sikorsky's flew over but I couldn't get my phone out fast enough.

IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_8155.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drone footage is so damn good.

Last time I went skiing there were signs everywhere prohibiting drones. I guess the snowboarders can carry a tracker and the drone will follow it and film. They were apparently also crashing into skiers on the chair lifts.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta get those guys flying drones on the ski/board Freeride World Tour...

Some of the FWT drone pilots seem to have forgotten that their goal is supposed to be getting good, stable, footage of the skiers...nobody wants to see how awesome their flying is, they want to to actually be able to see what is happening.

Looks like the pilot is from the same group that has been building those custom F1 follow-cam drones.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is the first time since college that I’ve maintained a decent level of cycling fitness over the winter. The first outdoor ride felt a bit awkward, but today’s ride (my third outdoors, for 35mi) felt like June of last year. Thanks, fancy Garmin trainer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an entirely predictable outcome: I did not ride the trainer nearly as much as I intended to.
I tried to use a stationary bike at the gym but wasn’t as diligent as I’d hoped. Might be a bit before I get summer mojo back.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Winter '22-'23 indoor season was super effective for me, and I hit the road in the best shape of my cycling life. Getting laid off and an extensive unemployment with a dispiriting job search killed my mojo last summer so I lost fitness despite having essentially unlimited free time. Ironic, no? And now that I am back to work, it is in-person with a commute, and I am not at all motivated to get on the trainer when I get home from work.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardio conditioning tends to go pretty fast if you don't keep up with it. Normally to maintain a decent baseline performance, you'd want to have a session at every other day.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that was helpful for me was to give up on the idea of intense trainer workouts most of the time, and just use it to keep moving and maintain a base. Zwift was killing my motivation because I felt like I couldn't ever quite meet its expectations of me. So, I just put on exciting WWII movies, did my own intervals or easy spins, and I've started the year in decent shape.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should have tried a more rigid schedule or something, but I also found out that my wife is due (!!!) 2 days before the event I was intending to train for...so the "need" to get those training miles in is gone.

Not that I wasn't still active over the winter. Skied 56 days so far this season (including days skinning *up* the mountain) , made a handful of visits to the climbing gym, did some yoga, etc.

But as I learned on my ride yesterday, none of those really preserve that bike conditioning. Had hoped to keep the higher-tempo cardio alive with XC/skate skiing, but our winter just didn't deliver the snow and I only went skate skiing half a dozen times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads