• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ A good segue:

I finished "Six Four" on Sunday. I must have missed something because everyone said it was one of their favorite crime novels ever. And while some of the twists were just stunningly well-thought out, I thought some of the plot got a bit tedious at times (do we really need 70 pages on media relations minutiae? I mean, even if the author is a journalist?). However I did think it was overall very very good and I can't wait for more of his work to be translated.

Started The Wicked go to Hell and I'm excited to see how this one plays out.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

About half way through the fictionalized account of Valentino Achak Deng's journey from South Sudan to USA. Very funny and harrowing (frequently at the same time).

This is a ginormous book. Just started it for when I want a break from What is the What. A little dry at the moment so I hope things pick up when the political/board room power grabs start.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blood River, Tim(?) Butcher's account of his retracing Henry Morton Stanley's navigation of the Congo RIver

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished "Young Money", by Kevin Roose. A nice quick read about following 1st and 2nd year recruits in investment banks. Brutal life!

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colson Whitehead's Underground Railroad. A departure to my last two reads: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and We Should All be Feminists, by Chiamanda Adiche.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Colson Whitehead's Underground Railroad. A departure to my last two reads: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and We Should All be Feminists, by Chiamanda Adiche.

What'd you think? The Intuitionist(?) was amazing, but I felt his 'literary' zombie novel was tedious and unnecessary, a pointed grab for crossover cash, or something he was too self-conscious or embarrassed about to fully dig-in in to any kind of fun or inspiring way. (Contrast with Benjamin Percy, who does the 'literary' genre novel well).

I still have high hopes for Underground Railroad.

Last edited:

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about 2/3 through it. Will finish it before the weekend's out, but to this point, I like the care he puts into the character development. It fiddles with a few historical "what ifs" one or two that seem plausible. I'll check back when I'm done.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dylan Tomine's 'Closer To The Ground'. It's a collection of stories about "living off the land" to an extent on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.

IMG_6838.JPG

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished "Six Four" on Sunday. I must have missed something because everyone said it was one of their favorite crime novels ever. And while some of the twists were just stunningly well-thought out, I thought some of the plot got a bit tedious at times (do we really need 70 pages on media relations minutiae? I mean, even if the author is a journalist?). However I did think it was overall very very good and I can't wait for more of his work to be translated.

I read quite a lot of Japanese fiction and I agree - while I thought it was probably a pretty accurate and well-written portrayal of the oppressive and tedious work culture in a Japanese police department, it wasn't up to much as a 'crime' novel.

Have you read 'Villain' by Shuichi Yoshida? I'd recommend that one. Again, just don't expect it to be crime fiction has you know it...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found that Frank O'Hara book sticking out of something and decided to give it another chance. It seems to have a certain cachet, as well as a brief resurgence every now and then when used as shorthand on TV shows such as Mad Men.

I prefer poetry that hold up without line breaks -- but this time I'm going to try and glean something about the power of line breaks, I guess.

Also rereading Steve Gerkhe (sp?) poems, which are infinitely good.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you read 'Villain' by Shuichi Yoshida? I'd recommend that one. Again, just don't expect it to be crime fiction has you know it...

Nope but the Atlanta library has a ton of his books so I added it to my list. Thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading "Shattered, Inside Hillary Clinton's doomed Campaign."

My God, after reading this book, I'm amazed she made it as far as she did.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck in the middle of " Buying Time"
The Delayed Crisis of Democratic Capitalism
by Wolfgang Streeck. I got involved in other
distractions. I'll have to skim the first half
so I can go on. For anyone interested in NewYork
from the 30s through the 60s I recommend " Up
in the Old Hotel" by Joseph Mitchell, the iconic
New Yorker staffer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads