• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

New Romantic

Reaction score
this should be interesting:

fransdewaal-arewesmartenoughttoknowhowsmartanimalsare.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had this on my to-read pile for years. Not clear why as I knew I'd love it and so far I'm 100000% correct. The problem is I've wanted to do what he does: just go live in a cabin away from everything and everyone for an extended period of time. Maybe a month or so. Which is a long way of saying: man I'm jealous.

But living as an ascetic monk would be a wonderful experience for me. Regrettably US work culture doesn't really allow you time to pursue what you want, so it will always be a pipe dream.

Sort of wish I remember where I found the tip for the book. I think that would be a neat project, tracking all your book tips.

51CryBMnOVL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing I've always been fascinated by the desert mystics since University and way before seeing Bunuel's Simon of the Desert.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I've alluded to/mentioned outright in other posts, I seriously considered a monastic vocation (and, candidly, still wonder if I made the right choice) so this is in many ways right up my alley. It's also an older style of writing so it can be an interesting read.

Giving "The Power & The Glory" another shot. I say another shot because it is a very challenging book for me. The Whiskey Priest is very similar to me in some of his questions of faith but it's also about a man questioning his adequacy as a man. Right now it's a very challenging period of my life to put it mildly so there might be quite a few matzoh balls this go around.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoutout to McKay's books in Chattanooga.

I took the tags off but all these didn't crack $20. Other than House of Leaves at $13 only one was above $1, and that was A River Runs Through it at $1.50. All first editions or first-run paperbacks. Theroux's book was in paper for same price as the hard.

Picked up The Right Stuff yesterday and The Two Towers. Not sure why I'm on a LotR tear but I am.
9176.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did not think House of Leaves was very good.

It is like someone came up with an interesting structural device without actually having a good implementation. Maybe trying to combine the formatting quirks with a 3-layer story was also a bit much, although the 3 layers are what provide some of the structure...

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer reading has been China Miéville's Perdido Street Station. Only the second Miéville I've picked up, and a big letdown after The City & the City, which I really, really admire.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer reading has been China Miéville's Perdido Street Station. Only the second Miéville I've picked up, and a big letdown after The City & the City, which I really, really admire.

Try The Last Days of New Paris found it weirdly entertaining.

I was very impressed with his historical account of Red October 1917 a very detailed account of the internal political machinations and personalities over a tight time frame dealing with the events of the period leading to the Bolshevik seizure of Russia.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished "the two Towers" in about a week and the below which was every bit as charming as I hoped.

Picking up the return of the king now. What's funny is my haul from mckays was supposed to be my summer reading. Haven't touched any of them. My goal is to reread the Harry Potter books after lotr.

512d6jFKVgL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member