• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

alexg

Reaction score
Gum arabic. It gives a velvety quality to drinks. Easy to make too if you can find the gum.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried a new cocktail: muddled blueberries + Thai basil, gin, lemon juice + simple syrup, topped off with a bit of seltzer. I loved it.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried a new cocktail: muddled blueberries + Thai basil, gin, lemon juice + simple syrup, topped off with a bit of seltzer. I loved it.

did you just make this up? sounds interesting! :happy:

recipe? proportions?

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope--had it at a bar. Couldn't give you a precise sense of proportions, but I don't think it should be hard to tweak at all at home. You know, mostly gin.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope--had it at a bar. Couldn't give you a precise sense of proportions, but I don't think it should be hard to tweak at all at home. You know, mostly gin.

haha... of COURSE! :happy: thx.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably totally heresy to the purists but i basically made a martini sour and i'm really liking it.

two sugar cubes dissolved in the juice from one lemon
3 shots of tanqueray rangpur
half a shot of lillet
shaken
twist of lemon as garnish

makes for a really nice looking drink if you're into the aesthetics of it.

-Jeff

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

probably totally heresy to the purists but i basically made a martini sour and i'm really liking it.
two sugar cubes dissolved in the juice from one lemon
3 shots of tanqueray rangpur
half a shot of lillet
shaken
twist of lemon as garnish
makes for a really nice looking drink if you're into the aesthetics of it.
-Jeff

That's not in any way a martini, but it does sound like a nice cocktail.

You see, the issue martini purists have with many of those drinks is just the name. Back in the day, they had the temerity to give a new name to a new cocktail. "Martini" is just the name for one cocktail, and using it as anything else is simply wrong. Many of the drinks themselves are perfectly fine, it's just idiots borrowing the name because they don't have the requisite brainpower to come up with a new one that annoys people.

Well, and there's an issue with some of the drinks. You know anything offered on a menu as "Bubblegum martini" is going to be vile, but it would be vile with any other name.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hardy's Whiskers Blake Tawny Port. Very curranty, and rich but not too sweet. Delish.

S-Town

Reaction score
Hair of the dog so far today....Suffering Bastard! Cheap gin, cheap brandy, bitters, lime cordial. Shaken and then mixed with ginger beer. In my opinion, much better than any bloody mary or screwdriver.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need simple cocktails/longdrinks that don't use many ingredients but for the most part cranberry juice... Any other than Cosmopolitan? Do not have limes or soda, no creme de cassis either. No whiskey.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need simple cocktails/longdrinks that don't use many ingredients but for the most part cranberry juice... Any other than Cosmopolitan? Do not have limes or soda, no creme de cassis either. No whiskey.

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/parties/cocktail-parties/cranberry-cocktails-recipes-111808
http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailrecipes/a/cranberry_cocktails.htm

the second link has 40 or so different drinks... I don't know a specific good one from experience but maybe you'll find something in there. Cheers!

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've already seen the second list. But the only two there doable by me are cosmo and "Merry Christmas".
Thanks for the first link. I'll do the Crantini.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I approve of this post! I wish I was drinking a cocktail now, but have four hours of studying yet, though I am thinking a Scotch Old Fashioned.

Yup, that's it. I stirred it separately though and took a match to the lemon peel to make it slightly more interesting. I also made the gum syrup myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads