• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

Talleyrand

Reaction score
At the risk of contributing to this disaster of a thread, I must point out many errors in most of the reasoning behind the arrogant and prescriptive posts in this thread. Most posters in this thread sound like young'uns that are not very experienced at going out at night (20-24). Many of you sound like you do not yet understand that many spots for night life in big cities are not limited to the corner "night club" that booms the latest Yo MTV Raps hit. Anyone that speaks of only wearing "jeans and kicks" has a very limited knowledge of the various types of night clubs individuals can attend in real cities. Many upscale night clubs in LA and NYC have dress codes and if you are wearing "kicks" you will not get in. Even if you think you are a "baller" and can just grease the security, unless you are friends with the owner of the spot, you are not getting in under dress code. I was told by ladies from Britain that the best clubs you will not get into wearing "trainers". And even at some of the hip hop clubs you all would never think to dress up for, the men from the ghetto can still respect the smart dresser as folks like these guys sometimes attend hip hop clubs to dance. I doubt any of you whippersnappers would try telling these cats that they are "douches" for wearing suits to hip hop events (even if the suits admittedly dont fit them the best):
ebs_group2.jpg
http://www.electricboogaloos.com/members.html

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talleyrand
At the risk of contributing to this disaster of a thread, I must point out many errors in most of the reasoning behind the arrogant and prescriptive posts in this thread. Most posters in this thread sound like young'uns that are not very experienced at going out at night (20-24). Many of you sound like you do not yet understand that many spots for night life in big cities are not limited to the corner "night club" that booms the latest Yo MTV Raps hit. Anyone that speaks of only wearing "jeans and kicks" has a very limited knowledge of the various types of night clubs individuals can attend in real cities. Many upscale night clubs in LA and NYC have dress codes and if you are wearing "kicks" you will not get in. Even if you think you are a "baller" and can just grease the security, unless you are friends with the owner of the spot, you are not getting in under dress code. I was told by ladies from Britain that the best clubs you will not get into wearing "trainers". And even at some of the hip hop clubs you all would never think to dress up for, the men from the ghetto can still respect the smart dresser as folks like these guys sometimes attend hip hop clubs to dance. I doubt any of you whippersnappers would try telling these cats that they are "douches" for wearing suits to hip hop events (even if the suits admittedly dont fit them the best):
ebs_group2.jpg
http://www.electricboogaloos.com/members.html

Not necessarily true. I'm 32 and have been hitting clubs all over for more than a decade. If you have a table you get walked past everyone. I couldn't imagine a club owner turning down a group spending big money on bottle service because they're wearing jeans and runners. I don't think we're talking about asics running shoes when we're talking kicks. And from what I've seen, usually the richer guys are the ones dressing way more casual than those trying to act like big shooters. Not what we're talking about
10325040_tml.jpg
EDIT - can't find good images of what I have in mind

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
yeah....but look at the brotha in the background..in the same VIP area...LOUNGING....SD is being filmed for the show!! I would NEVER roll like SD to a spot like this if you can get in and do the same thing as the brotha is doing!! F DAT!

So you're saying: Don't dress up unless you have to?

It would be interesting to note the Disick seems to be not be capable of dressing down and thus looks ridiculous sometimes. I think everyone saying "never wear a suit to a club" "never wear braces" are thinking too narrowly. For example you can make a suit really casual if your intent is to not be over-dressed. Kind of a derail, apologies.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
ronaldo_5.jpg

cristiano_ronaldo.jpg

If I were a bouncer Look #1 would not get in. Look #2 would. But barely. Nice polo, black pants, watch, hair is done up and the sneakers look like they're a fashion brand and are slightly dressier than normal kicks. If he had talked to a promoter previously and had reserved a table, etc. I'm sure they'd just ignore the sneakers.

The thing is that the club lives and dies on how cool it is, so if some high rollers come in for one night and then the club gets a reputation for letting in a bunch of guys running around in hoodies and flip-flops, they will cease to make draw in a crowd that spends money.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly... I do not go out trying to look "rich"... I don't give a **** what I wear or what other people wear... I have $30K watches, $7000 shoes, $5000 suits and the list goes on. It doesn't interest me at all if any of you believe me or not, that ain't my problem...
Are you a big time producer by any chance? There are two possible scenarios: 1) You're lying 2) You've managed to accumulate this vast fortune, and you're so marsupialed that after all your success and mingling with the social elite, you still need to come to a clothing forum and ask what is considered to be a very stupid question This was also pretty funny...
Noone cares... Its not a competition, we aint measuring our dick sizes...
I have $30K watches,
$7000 shoes
$5000 suits and the list goes on.
lol8[1].gif

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Are you a big time producer by any chance? There are two possible scenarios: 1) You're lying 2) You've managed to accumulate this vast fortune, and you're so marsupialed that after all your success and mingling with the social elite, you still need to come to a clothing forum and ask what is considered to be a very stupid question This was also pretty funny...
lol8[1].gif

3) He's spending his parents' money.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Are you a big time producer by any chance?

There are two possible scenarios:

1) You're lying

2) You've managed to accumulate this vast fortune, and you're so marsupialed that after all your success and mingling with the social elite, you still need to come to a clothing forum and ask what is considered to be a very stupid question

This was also pretty funny...

lol8[1].gif

Uh-oh, we have another one gentlemen....

Enjoy:

TheDandy

Reaction score
There is some type of club that wearing suspenders could look good or stylish... Perhap a live jazz joint... A cigar lounge... but at 21 you probably not a regular of these place
smile.gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
One small point that has yet to come up: when the OP mentioned how much he was likely to spend at said night club, it was in GBP. OP, what city will you be in? What's appropriate to wear out varies greatly by location, and if you're in central London, it's a lot different than if you're in Hollywood, Vegas or Miami.

All that being said, I'd probably opt not to wear a suit, but if you have tons of nice suits, and you aren't worried about what might happen, you and I are in different boats. If you're going to wear braces, wear a tie and jacket, wearing them w/o a tie and jacket looks odd.

Oh, and the suggestion of side tabs is a great one. I'd never thought of this till I got my first Ralph Lauren suit, which has tabs and probably isn't intended to be worn with a belt or braces. I, however, choose to wear braces with it if wearing a tie, and nothing if not wearing a tie.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
If I were a bouncer Look #1 would not get in. Look #2 would. But barely. Nice polo, black pants, watch, hair is done up and the sneakers look like they're a fashion brand and are slightly dressier than normal kicks. If he had talked to a promoter previously and had reserved a table, etc. I'm sure they'd just ignore the sneakers.

The thing is that the club lives and dies on how cool it is, so if some high rollers come in for one night and then the club gets a reputation for letting in a bunch of guys running around in hoodies and flip-flops, they will cease to make draw in a crowd that spends money.

Dude, the hippest clubs don't have explicit dress codes...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Dude, the hippest clubs don't have explicit dress codes...

It is true...

It is more who you're than what you're wearing...

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
OP, what city will you be in? What's appropriate to wear out varies greatly by location, and if you're in central London, it's a lot different than if you're in Hollywood, Vegas or Miami.

Great point. I live in London, so I know for a fact that nightlife here is different to say something like LA or Miami...You see a lotta guys wearing suits out here, it's very common...

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Great point. I live in London, so I know for a fact that nightlife here is different to say something like LA or Miami...You see a lotta guys wearing suits out here, it's very common...

Yea, that's what I was thinking might be the case.

To everyone else: your other comments/feelings aside, you have to admit this information changes things somewhat.

HPress

Reaction score
Bullseye.

OT, but if you are 22 and you have $$$ for 35k watches, why don't you get involved in entrepreneurship? You can meet some of most creative, energetic, enthusiastic, friendly people around and start companies with them. You can clearly take on some risk for the opportunity to do some really great stuff.

Not sure what it's like in the UK, but here (especially Palo Alto and Boston) the entrepreneurial communities are very strong and there are literally no barriers to entry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads