• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Acute - too many patterns there bud. Example, lose the socks and stick with a solid and swap out the shirt for a solid blue ocbd and then you've got enough going on... it's just too much!

Dockers - I still maintain that the zip-up isn't bad, it's just not congruent with that type of fit. Shirt says beach, pants are workwear-ish, and zip-up is sleek urban, all give or take. Meaning wear that zip up with white tshirt and jeans, wear that shirt with looser linen type pants, wear the khakies with chunkier sweaters or slim polos etc. Just a general idea.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acute - too many patterns there bud. Example, lose the socks and stick with a solid and swap out the shirt for a solid blue ocbd and then you've got enough going on... it's just too much!

You're missing the point. @An Acute Style 's fit is meant to be a riot of patterns. The balancing of striped, checked, and printed patterns is actually quite masterful.

Acute, don't change a thing.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dockers - I still maintain that the zip-up isn't bad, it's just not congruent with that type of fit. Shirt says beach, pants are workwear-ish, and zip-up is sleek urban, all give or take. Meaning wear that zip up with white tshirt and jeans, wear that shirt with looser linen type pants, wear the khakies with chunkier sweaters or slim polos etc. Just a general idea.

This is interesting. Here was my thought process:

1) Shirt - beachy.
2) Pants - actually a super light cotton, very beachy. But that does not come through in the picture, so I could see why you said workwear-ish.
3) Jacket - I get where you are coming from with the urban vibe, but I actually view the jacket (which is navy) as something akin to a better version of a sailing windbreaker, if that makes sense.

That was just how I put it together, but I appreciate your comments. If I post a pic with that jacket again, I will try it your way. I'm assuming you would recommend standard dark jeans + white tee?

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is something to be said about the old well-made garments I have, I am more proud of the fact I have stuck with them!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This is interesting. Here was my thought process:

1) Shirt - beachy.
2) Pants - actually a super light cotton, very beachy. But that does not come through in the picture, so I could see why you said workwear-ish.
3) Jacket - I get where you are coming from with the urban vibe, but I actually view the jacket (which is navy) as something akin to a better version of a sailing windbreaker, if that makes sense.

That was just how I put it together, but I appreciate your comments. If I post a pic with that jacket again, I will try it your way. I'm assuming you would recommend standard dark jeans + white tee?

Good response, I get the logic. Doesn't always come through in the pics though. For a solid dark zip-up like that, I'd say the pants have to be mid tone to dark, so nothing super light wash. Sleek and slimish. And for a shirt, either a v-neck or low crew neck tshirt or something.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was trying to balance them all. I think the solid shirt and socks would work nicely.

You're missing the point. @An Acute Style 's fit is meant to be a riot of patterns. The balancing of striped, checked, and printed patterns is actually quite masterful.

Acute, don't change a thing.

Thanks. That's what I was shooting for.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thick wallet inside the right chest pocket X unstructured jacket. You can actually see the outline of the wallet and the fabric pull.

My biggest complaint about Boglioli is that they fit way too short for my build.

Spiker

Reaction score
Hey guy I got residency interview coming up that I am trying to assemble a wardrobe for the social /before interview. For the past 3 years I either dressed in scrub/t shirts or suits (cufflinks and everything) basically nothing in between. The goal is to look nice but not too glaring.

I am thinking about getting
  1. Dark jean
  2. Light chinos
  3. Blue blazer
  4. Button down plaid dress shirt
For more casual
Dark Jean-tennis/boat shoe-polo/shirt-w or w/o tie/blue blazer
For more formal
Light Chinos-Loafer/Walnut Brogue Captoe-shirt-w or w/o tie/blue blazer
What do you think on combination?

Also what do you guys think about "sports shirt" vs dress shirt. Can you wear dress shirt with jeans, or sports shirt with chinos?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thick wallet inside the right chest pocket X unstructured jacket. You can actually see the outline of the wallet and the fabric pull.

My biggest complaint about Boglioli is that they fit way too short for my build.

I'm sorry. What size are you? I'll gladly unload you of any Boglioli as it's my favorite brand. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads