• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't come to New York. We will tell you that your outfit sucks to your face without you asking. Unsolicited feedback IRL. :lol: You will get random compliments as well. You never know.

Maybe we can add a code to our post about criticism.
CCW=constructive criticism welcome.
NCC=no constructive criticism.
AHAW=ad hominem attacks welcome.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
PXL_20240102_215437493.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240102_215551290.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240102_215729992.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240102_215914895.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the only part I don't get is, if you want to give someone some feedback, and you know your feedback may be "constructive", why don't you send them in PM?
Because we’d all be looking at our phones / monitors thinking “that outfit SUCKS! How come nobody has come on and completely destroyed that poster and showed him up for the worthless waste of skin that he is?”

Misery loves company 😁

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the only part I don't get is, if you want to give someone some feedback, and you know your feedback may be "constructive", why don't you send them in PM?
I like to read respectful, constructive criticism because it helps me develop my style. If it's a private message, the rest of us don't benefit. Having said (written) that, I think it's perfectly reasonable to send a PM.

I usually use the ignore button on folks who post nasty, ad hominems.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to read respectful, constructive criticism because it helps me develop my style. If it's a private message, the rest of us don't benefit. Having said (written) that, I think it's perfectly reasonable to send a PM.

I usually use the ignore button on folks who post nasty, ad hominems.
I guess that makes sense.
Personally I am very selective in terms whose comments/ feedback I will read/ take. (not just the good ones haha).
Personally, if someone makes an mistake in my team, I will talk to him privately, not in front of everyone so that others won't make the same mistake. However I guess this doesn't necessary apply to forum like this?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense.
Personally I am very selective in terms whose comments/ feedback I will read/ take. (not just the good ones haha).
Personally, if someone makes an mistake in my team, I will talk to him privately, not in front of everyone so that others won't make the same mistake. However I guess this doesn't necessary apply to forum like this?

With all respect, you're talking of a completely different context: a forum is a place where people publicly discuss, in the best case respectfully and constructively, so that everybody can take advantage of it.
I mostly like your outfits, but since you seem to have no interest in any discussion and dialogue, you won't get any comments from me at all.
If you just like to show your pictures, why don't you simply put them on Instagram?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I tell my students, you'll have more opportunities to learn from the teacher correcting your classmates mistakes than from your own because a group makes many more mistakes than any individual. This is a communal learning space. :cheers:

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I tell my students, you'll have more opportunities to learn from the teacher correcting your classmates mistakes than from your own because a group makes many more mistakes than any individual. This is a communal learning space. :cheers:
I hear you, I mean I am in no position to tell you that’s right or wrong. I don’t think I will feel comfortable that way, but I am sure you know what you are doing.

I am not saying that the commenters should PM, this is an open space and as long as they follow the forum rule, they can do whatever makes them comfortable. I just appreciate some of the forum members who messaged me in private about their constructive feedbacks.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When can we differentiate between constructive criticism or trolling here?

If a so called VIP or distinguished individual comments it is constructive criticism and if someone who hasn't posted here much says anything its called trolling?

Just like if someone is popular and dressed like crap we are suppose to like what he is wearing? and if someone who is simply trying to post here who is not so popular is judged with a fine tooth comb the trousers are not wide enough or long enough should have been 2 cms wider or longer?

How can we encourage someone who is trying to build a wardrobe or someone who has stated their professional career to benefit anything from this forum when we sometimes pass judgement so severe that might hurt an individual pride or ego that may lead to discouragement?

I have seen a lot here and I have seen poster boys dress like crap that still get 1 million likes on IG and here just because they can never go wrong!

Some of the stuff i see is harsh!! not to me as I have a thick skin but I think we all as gents can also be a bit sensitive before passing judgement to someone who is still in the learning curve to building a CM wardrobe!

So many things are not SF approved!!

LJ1891

Reaction score
It’s interesting to see how there are so many different perspectives on the nature and purpose of this space.

I always assumed that within styleforum these kind of threads(HOF,WAYWN,etc) were an extension of public places, or the office even, where we communicate back and forth through our outfits. And, while maybe in the office you might not tell someone to their face that you don’t agree with their selection, that kind of thing is generally common practice online.

Critiquing is done in real life as well. It’s even done in formal, “professional” settings but mostly through less overt ways(less inclusion, not considered for promotions etc). To some extent it’s how we develop aesthetics and to a larger degree culture.

EDIT: I Do Not condone vicious attacks against others just because this is an online space.

Last edited:

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
When can we differentiate between constructive criticism or trolling here?

If a so called VIP or distinguished individual comments it is constructive criticism and if someone who hasn't posted here much says anything its called trolling?
I think this is the key thing that needs to be looked at. The idea you cannot criticize someone because they are a "well-known" poster is ridiculous.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I belive posting a picture invites feedback. To say you just want to post is kind of like
celebrities complaining about being bothered by fans. No one will give feedback if you don’t post. Not trying to discourage the sensitive but the possibility of feedback is inherent in the forum since there is no “turn off comments“ option, just reply options.

As far as some people being about criticism, I doubt the older posters who still post consistently have any issues with being critiqued

What is pretty damn annoying, respectfully done or not, is unnecessary repitition.

Dude wears a fresco jacket. You say “I hate fresco and think it would be better without fresco.” Dude says thanks . Dude posts a fresco suit. You say, “as you know, I don’t care for Fresco but the rest is…” Dude likes your post and replies “to each their own.”
Dude post a new Fresco jacket. You say” as you know I don’t care for…”
At this point, we know who you are, the guy knows you don’t like fresco, so you can now commence with shutting the hell up about fresco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads