• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to be offended if you don't like my watches... obviously we have different tastes in both clothing and watches.  I don't like that particular Patek for a couple reasons.

1.  I don't like simple, understated watches.  I know many of you do, but I am not a huge fan, the simplest watch I would use is the Grand Seiko I posted earlier or my Omega Seamaster.

2.  I don't like the color, and it looks to me like it wouldn't be too durable, and the scratches are quite evident in that picture you posted.

3.  I like larger watches, I have a large wrist and forearms and small watches don't look great on me.  The smallest watch I own is the Bvlgari Solotiempo and I don't wear it often because it's simply too small.
1) Seamaster is not a simple watch. It is a big sportwatch

2) It has been made in 1977. What do you want more durable?

Scratches? You are ridiculious there because there are no special scratches (this is simply a brushed case so it doesn't shine.) and because scratches do not change a watch. What do you do with your Rolex after the first scratch? Do find it ugly?

You do not like blue?

3) You are rather fat I know, so it is true that large watch are better on you than very thin one but you have large watches which are not tacky and have a real movement.
Last, my watch is not small at all. This is not the small model of the golden ellipse.

On clothing, I guess you have different taste with the all forum as NOBODY would say it is nice to match tie/pocket...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GorGekko, just a word of advice- you need to stop these attacks on ernest. I am not sure what you are seeking to achieve, but I can't imagine it is being accomplished.

While I agree with a lot of what you are saying, this does not seem to be resulting in anything positive.

You don't like the watch. End of story.
I could care less about the watch. I'm just tired of the obvious fraud that Ernest is. That said, as I announced earlier, I am washing my hands of this. The rest of Style Forum can treat him like he's a serious contributor for all I care.

It's sad but the guy arguing in favour of the Waffen SS in another thread is more sympathetic then Ernest is. At least I believe in his sincerity even if his views are distasteful.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like that exact shade of blue. That watch is fairly small on the picture that you have shown. Again, the tie/square aren't a match, as it is not only a different color but pattern. I am 6'1 and 220 with 11% bf, if that's considered fat, than so be it. Back to the movement argument again... do you think Omega's have a real movement, since they are part of ETA?

You're being blatantly hypocritical, first bashing Seiko who has their in house movements by saying their watches look cheap, when you like watches that INTENTIONALLY look cheap, then criticizing other watches for not using their own movements... you can't have it both ways ernest.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've hit at the heart of the matter ernest.  Patek has spent a great deal of money in marketing and limited it's distribution so supply and demand creates a great market for its watches.  

Oh, one other note about the tie and pocket square, as I mentioned earlier, they are similar colors but not the same, also the pocket square has a dark blue/light blue pattern while the tie is solid.
RIDICULIOUS

1) Marketing
You said yourself that ROLEX was the most famous...

So who spend more in marketing? Patek or Rolex?

2) Supply
Why is a Daytona more expensive used than retail price??

3) Match
Matching doesn't mean exactly thhe same, it can just be similar to be called matching...

Same or similar, you do not create the contrast that everyboby here claims to be necessary.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ernest,

Now that you've called drizzt*** (you need an easier handle man) fat, you've gotta pony up and post a picture of yourself without the face blurred out. Who knows, maybe unemployment is great for the skin.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could care less about the watch. I'm just tired of the obvious fraud that Ernest is. That said, as I announced earlier, I am washing my hands of this. The rest of Style Forum can treat him like he's a serious contributor for all I care.
In which way are you a serious contributor yourself?

Execpt talking about me what is the use of your few posts?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every village has an idiot if you know what I mean.
Grumble, I suppose so.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) Marketing
You said yourself that ROLEX was the most famous...

So who spend more in marketing? Patek or Rolex?

Certainly Rolex does, but my point wasn't discussing advertisement, it's Patek's ability to position their brand as a super premium watchmaker. Do you think the Patek movements are demonstrably better than Rolex, or even ETA movements? They're only expensive because they're used in Patek watches only.

2) Supply
Why is a Daytona more expensive used than retail price??

Yeah Daytonas are hard to find as well, oo they are expensive, especially in some color combos. Rolex makes the most watches of any premium maker per year though.

3) Match
Matching doesn't mean exactly thhe same, it can just be similar to be called matching...

Same or similar, you do not create the contrast that everyboby here claims to be necessary.

I could care less what people think is necessary, I personally like matching at least an element of my tie/square.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(gorgekko @ 17 Nov. 2004, 4:28) It's sad but the guy arguing in favour of the Waffen SS in another thread
What is this??...
You know what? I actually agree with gorgekko here, I'd rather discuss WWII history than continue this thread. xlhell got totally bashed for admiring a German officer.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like that exact shade of blue.  That watch is fairly small on the picture that you have shown.  Again, the tie/square aren't a match, as it is not only a different color but pattern.  I am 6'1 and 220 with 11% bf, if that's considered fat, than so be it.  Back to the movement argument again... do you think Omega's have a real movement, since they are part of ETA?  

You're being blatantly hypocritical, first bashing Seiko who has their in house movements by saying their watches look cheap, when you like watches that INTENTIONALLY look cheap, then criticizing other watches for not using their own movements... you can't have it both ways ernest.
Seiko doesn't look cheap just because of movement but because of the case, details, finish, leather used...

Seiko ARE cheap, they do not just look cheap. That is all the difference...

I said looks I like watches which looks cheap for the AVERAGE JOE (so not just cheap)

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest,

Now that you've called drizzt*** (you need an easier handle man) fat, you've gotta pony up and post a picture of yourself without the face blurred out.  Who knows, maybe unemployment is great for the skin.
He simply looks fat this is the reality.

His face looks fat.

This is not a big deal to be fat.

30% od americans are, so many of you or relatives are.

I am not slim, rather fat too but I am not till at the point where I need a huge watch because of my body...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko,17 Nov. 2004, 4:28
It's sad but the guy arguing in favour of the Waffen SS in another thread
What is this??...
Some chap apparently used the picture of a famous Waffen SS commander as his avatar. Naturally people were upset so he changed it to something else. Then in a thread he began debating the merits of the Waffen SS stating that they weren't the same as the death squads You can find that debate here.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Grand Seiko spring drive is about $4500 or so, but I guess that's cheap compared to your Patek.

CTGuy, it was in the one about colors in ties.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....;t=6227 Losing it CT. you posted in there too
smile.gif
JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads