• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I prefer watches to be aesthetically pleasing, not something that that particular Patek can be accused of under any circumstances.
Asian taste and occidental taste are not the same...

Actually, my watch is twice/third the price of the Breit or Rolex you like. Why ?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you Rambo ?
I wear my watch in the street, in the office, in the subway so solidity is not the aim when I buy a watch.
What do you do with your watch? Save the world?
This hilarious post does contain an interesting observation, one that I agree with. I hate big clunky watches with lots of dials and knobs. You won't see me driving race cars or diving beyond 200 meters.

vvvv Seriously, man. Hidden bling is what it's all about. I mean, why do we get working buttonholes on our suit cuffs? Why do we obsess over beveled soles on our shoes? I dislike anything ostentatious, except maybe for dress shirt patterns.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asian taste and occidental taste are not the same...

Actually, my watch is twice/third (sic should be thrice) the price of the Breit or Rolex you like. Why ?

Um, I like watch with diamonds on bezel, but hidden. Only see diamonds if looking really hard, on inside sides of bezel. It is about ten times the price of your Patek Otherwise, very simple watch. Great movement.

Discuss.

(Come to think about it, a deceptively simple watch like that, but with some hidden bling, might be sort of cool.)

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Ernest, I am completely jealous of you. I lie awake at night wondering how I can compete with someone in their late 20s who is on welfare, sponges off his parents and yet apparently maintains  a lifestyle that well-off men would be hard pressed to maintain.

For the record, I own several antique wristwatches including a Rolex from the early 1970s. I have no need of a watch that makes me look like a French gigolo.
Irony will not save you...

I see one thing =

You are interested in me, you speak about me, my life, need to try to look witty on my threads...

I do not care about you and your life.

How do you explain this situation?

You can own x Rolex, and then?

Indeed, you couldn't look like a gigolo but like a farmer...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asian taste and occidental taste are not the same... Actually, my watch is twice/third (sic should be thrice) the price of the Breit or Rolex you like. Why ?
Um, I like watch with diamonds on bezel, but hidden.  Only see diamonds if looking really hard, on inside sides of bezel.  It is about ten times the price of your Patek  Otherwise, very simple watch.  Great movement. Discuss. (Come to think about it, a deceptively simple watch like that, but with some hidden bling, might be sort of cool.)
My watch as no Diamonds... So WHY is it so expensive?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ernest,

Obviously you like your watch, that's nice, however, if you post it here asking people's opinions, expect to get their honest opinion, in my opinion, that watch is ugly.
You can say it is ugly it is not a problem.

But you have to hear my opinion about watches you showed and to be able to argue more than just " it doesn't look expensive so it no use to buy it"..

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore is worth probably twice as much as your Patek, but who's counting? I believe a Rolex Daytona 14k/SS is also more expensive than a Patek as well, but when does reality have to intrude on this conversation?

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1 220 or so, and that Patek would look downright dainty on my wrist... personally I don't prefer the dainty look even though perhaps it's popular with the French...

I guess we can agree to disagree on our taste in watches, you like the cheap looking dainty Patek while I prefer masculine, bulkier, Breilting and Rolex chronographs.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irony will not save you...

I see one thing =

You are interested in me, you speak about me, my life, need to try to look witty on my threads...

I do not care about you and your life.

How do you explain this situation?

You can own x Rolex, and then?

Indeed, you couldn't look like a gigolo but like a farmer...
Nothing can save me Ernest, nothing at all.

That said, it's a little tiring fighting a troll with English so poor that I can't even figure out what you're saying half the time. Adieu. The others here take you seriously so keep playing your games with them.

I'd go with the Bentley. C'est une automobile beaucoup plus intÃ
00a9.png
ressante.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not going to be offended if you don't like my watches... obviously we have different tastes in both clothing and watches. I don't like that particular Patek for a couple reasons.

1. I don't like simple, understated watches. I know many of you do, but I am not a huge fan, the simplest watch I would use is the Grand Seiko I posted earlier or my Omega Seamaster.

2. I don't like the color, and it looks to me like it wouldn't be too durable, and the scratches are quite evident in that picture you posted.

3. I like larger watches, I have a large wrist and forearms and small watches don't look great on me. The smallest watch I own is the Bvlgari Solotiempo and I don't wear it often because it's simply too small.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1 220 or so, and that Patek would look downright dainty on my wrist... personally I don't prefer the dainty look even though perhaps it's popular with the French...
*cough* last I checked, I was Asian-American. Does this mean I can't like "dainty" watches?
sad.gif
Edit: Yeah, I see what you mean, drizzt. Proportions are important with clothes, and watches. I can't wear huge watches because my wrists have an amazing girth of maybe 6". I had to bug Ricky at Jantzen to shrink my French cuffs over and over and over, because they were just too damn big.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore is worth probably twice as much as your Patek, but who's counting?  I believe a Rolex Daytona 14k/SS is also more expensive than a Patek as well, but when does reality have to intrude on this conversation?

I guess we can agree to disagree on our taste in watches, you like the cheap looking dainty Patek while I prefer masculine, bulkier, Breilting and Rolex chronographs.
Your watch are expensive but looks expensive (in your mind).

My watch looks cheap (in your mind). So why is it so expensive ?

As you match tie and pockets square, you are right to wear a Rolex. A Patek would look odd on you...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alias:

I wasn't saying you can't like dainty watches, but that Patek would look like a ladies watch on me and that's not a look I'm trying to go with. I imagine my Solotiempo would look great on you with your wrist diameter if you like that style of watch, just looks small on me.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 17 Nov. 2004, 6:46) Irony will not save you... I see one thing = You are interested in me, you speak about me, my life, need to try to look witty on my threads... I do not care about you and your life. How do you explain this situation? You can own  x Rolex, and then? Indeed, you couldn't look like a gigolo but like a farmer...
Nothing can save me Ernest, nothing at all. That said, it's a little tiring fighting a troll with English so poor that I can't even figure out what you're saying half the time. Adieu. The others here take you seriously so keep playing your games with them. I'd go with the Bentley. C'est une automobile beaucoup plus intÃ
00a9.png
ressante.
You do not need to inform me of your will, your are free to live without my consent...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alias:

I wasn't saying you can't like dainty watches, but that Patek would look like a ladies watch on me and that's not a look I'm trying to go with.  I imagine my Solotiempo would look great on you with your wrist diameter if you like that style of watch, just looks small on me.
The question was not about YOU.

The question was about the watch.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've hit at the heart of the matter ernest. Patek has spent a great deal of money in marketing and limited it's distribution so supply and demand creates a great market for its watches. Certainly it will be harder to get a Patek than a Breitling or Rolex watch because there are more Breitlings and Rolexes out there (the same can't be said for AP though) However, Patek is making watches at a record pace, and although for the time being, they are still able to command premium prices, who knows how long that will continue. Certainly they've done a great job as a company to make a simple looking watch that will sell for premium prices though, with yearly output probably 10x that of Lange...

I happen to not care about the economics of the matter and like Breitling, Rolex, and AP watches for how they look. If I was going to spend $30k on a watch, I would buy a Lange, as I think they are wonderfully styled, and they hold their value as well as Patek, and are more likely to continue to do so in the future.

Oh, one other note about the tie and pocket square, as I mentioned earlier, they are similar colors but not the same, also the pocket square has a dark blue/light blue pattern while the tie is solid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics