• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: BMW repair cost horror stories...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
Even if I was driving an E46 M3, chances are I would run 18" aftermarket non staggered wheels.

I wouldn't, it'd probably oversteer a bit much for my liking.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Not necessarily, that's what many who track their M3's do. Staggered is mostly for aesthetics and cars with tons of power, it induces more understeer as well creates more rolling resistance and unsprung weight.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah, but they're running like what, gummy 255's on the front? That much turn-in and oversteer is a bit much for street driving. Snap oversteer has owned many a good dude.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
yeah, but they're running like what, gummy 255's on the front? That much turn-in and oversteer is a bit much for street driving. Snap oversteer has owned many a good dude.

Scary stuff indeed. I ran non-staggered winter tires on my '04 330i ZHP and never had any issues, but did experience it once with my first S2000.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
S2000's, the turbo RX-7's, 911 C2s = killin dudes with lift throttle oversteer

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my particular case, I was pulling out of a parking lot perpendicular to a circular road. As I was doing so, I noticed someone coming quickly around the bend in the road and gave it some extra gas - at which point I quickly found myself sideways.

Managed to correct it before I went all the way around, but was certainly fortunate no one was coming in the other direction.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I'm confused by this, because I have a stock e46 (no sport package), and the first time I took it in for service at the dealer -- this was probably in 2005 -- they specifically asked if I wanted the tires rotated (but mentioned that the cost wouldn't be covered under warranty).

You're confused because my post was far too sweeping. mm84321 is driving an e90 (w/sport package), as I am, and it was his question I was addressing; his car's tires shouldn't be rotated according to the manufacturer. However, what I wrote was, "You're not supposed to rotate the tires on a BMW," which is broader than what I meant to say, and clearly not true as a result. Sorry, folks!

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
You're confused because my post was far too sweeping. mm84321 is driving an e90 (w/sport package), as I am, and it was his question I was addressing; his car's tires shouldn't be rotated according to the manufacturer. However, what I wrote was, "You're not supposed to rotate the tires on a BMW," which is broader than what I meant to say, and clearly not true as a result. Sorry, folks!

Got it, thanks. Thought the tires on my car were suddenly going to implode or something post-rotation.
lol8[1].gif

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
Wow, I'm pretty surprised to see as many mentions of E30s as I did. Actually, the whole reason I checked this thread is because I'm looking to kop an E30 vert relatively soon, just test drove my friend's today. Convenient... I don't expect it to be perfect since its like 23 years old, but this thread has pretty much confirmed how much I should be expecting to spend yearly. Hopefully if I pull the trigger it doesn't become a nightmare!

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
and the plastic track in the sunroof breaking.

Ah, yes, forgot that little beauty. BMW wanted $900 to replace entire casette! Two person DIY job, follow the DIY exactly, especially moonroof removal, a set of $30 OEM clips, and yer done. Still, a giant pain ********** and very badly designed.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7
Wow, I'm pretty surprised to see as many mentions of E30s as I did. Actually, the whole reason I checked this thread is because I'm looking to kop an E30 vert relatively soon, just test drove my friend's today. Convenient... I don't expect it to be perfect since its like 23 years old, but this thread has pretty much confirmed how much I should be expecting to spend yearly. Hopefully if I pull the trigger it doesn't become a nightmare!

If you're lucky and don't expect it to be museum-quality clean, you could get away with spending very little on maintenance. Bulletproof motors, I wouldn't expect to have to put too much money into an E30 besides routine maintenance. If things do go bad, it's an easy car to fix or upgrade, there's a universe of E30 knowledge out there now.
I had 2 E30's, really never spent anything on them mechanically besides a radiator that went bad once. A convertible top will need changing probably, either when you acquire it or eventually when a replacement goes bad, and those can be a thousand bucks for that job.

If it were me, I'd want a 91-92(3?) 325iC M-tech with the full M tech aero, it was a special last edition car and they didn't make tons of colors either, Orient Blue or something would be nice. Either that, or a Euro-spec slim bumpered vert from like '87 or so. Both are rare but not impossible to find.

pgd3

Reaction score
True on the e30.

I got my 91 for 500$ with a blown motor (previous owner didn't change oil).

another grand got a motor from a scrap yard, 100$ bought a gasket set for the lower pans, nother ~100 got the gaskets for the top end.

Slap it in with a new clutch, and I've had that car now solid since 2003. So that's coming up on 8 years.

In that time I've done ancillary stuff, tires (300), some suspension components (~500? including struts), Full DIY brake job <200 including rotors.

Now it is getting up near 200K on the clock and needing some investment. My Transmission seems to be having trouble with first gear. Still usable, I can probably get it for another 20-25K miles. But a scrap yard trans for the car is <350. Including a clutch I could install that for under 500.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 06 325Ci (coupe not vert) ZPP (with auto
ffffuuuu.gif
) just hit 55k miles and I spent the last weekend with my dad doing preventative maintenance. We replaced the water pump ($140 used), rebuilt VANOS ($450), replaced the cam sensor ($90), replaced front control arm bushings ($100 used), bleed the brakes and replaced rotors/pads ($240 for everything), changed the oil (it was only at 6500 miles but we were under the car anyway) and checked the fluids, and replaced the C-bars above the back seat cuz the lining was coming loose. That and a super thorough cleaning and it feels better than ever, and there shouldnt be any problems for another 50k miles

I'm thinking about registering at BMW CCA to take a driving class and maybe even join them one day at an autocross event. My car will most likely be the shittiest thing there but I think it would be fun to be a part of something like that

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgd3
True on the e30.

I got my 91 for 500$ with a blown motor (previous owner didn't change oil).

another grand got a motor from a scrap yard, 100$ bought a gasket set for the lower pans, nother ~100 got the gaskets for the top end.

Slap it in with a new clutch, and I've had that car now solid since 2003. So that's coming up on 8 years.

In that time I've done ancillary stuff, tires (300), some suspension components (~500? including struts), Full DIY brake job <200 including rotors.

Now it is getting up near 200K on the clock and needing some investment. My Transmission seems to be having trouble with first gear. Still usable, I can probably get it for another 20-25K miles. But a scrap yard trans for the car is <350. Including a clutch I could install that for under 500.

Do it man, you've got hardly any money in it considering your ownership, and it's got more left in it than 20-25K miles, I bet. I'd want them to go 300K if they could, I always felt that way about that era of BMWs. Keep it forever if parking isn't a cost problem, I regret selling my E30's for beans. Could've just left them with my dad and we could both still enjoy driving them now once in awhile.
frown.gif
My dad always really liked the E30's too, trying to get him to get into an E46 M3 and see if he likes it (he probably won't though)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
I'm thinking about registering at BMW CCA to take a driving class and maybe even join them one day at an autocross event. My car will most likely be the shittiest thing there but I think it would be fun to be a part of something like that

and do this too, immense fun. Don't worry about your car, a 2006 BMW at a CCA event would be nowhere the shittiest car there. I guarantee you that. Expect to see as many shitboxes as there are nice cars. Bonus, a lower powered normal car at a driving school is far better than a hi-po car if you are just learning anyway - the newbs who come in M3's and M5's, even the non-M+high powered Bimmers like a 335i - those dudes never get anywhere close to feeling limits of their cars because the performance envelope is too high for newbies. Always more fun wringing out lower powered cars on small tracks with a margin of safety, than getting in over your head.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads