• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: BMW repair cost horror stories...

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
You're not supposed to rotate the tires on a BMW; that's why the service center doesn't do it. What kind of tires are you getting? My 335i came w/Bridgestone Potenzas, but I've just switched to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, which I prefer thus far.

Really, why is that?

They are Continental Conti-Pro Contact RFTs.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably a combination of so many models with different front/rear tires sizes and BMW not wanting to shorten the service interval while they're paying for it.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
7. Final stage resistor. Pretty simple DIY tho.

Simple the second time, sure.

I bent my seat, my tools, and my body in ways I never thought possible trying to find that stupid thing. But anything is worth it to have AC again!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not supposed to rotate the tires on a BMW; that's why the service center doesn't do it. What kind of tires are you getting? My 335i came w/Bridgestone Potenzas, but I've just switched to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, which I prefer thus far.
Originally Posted by zippyh
Probably a combination of so many models with different front/rear tires sizes and BMW not wanting to shorten the service interval while they're paying for it.
I think "not supposed to rotate" might be a little strong; "not required to rotate" is probably more appropriate -- for non-staggered setups, of course! No matter how good your maintenance is, the tires will wear unevenly, and getting the maximum life out of them seems to indicate that rotation is a good idea -- especially with tires more prone to wear. I just put directional Pilot Sport A/S Plus's on my staggered fitment, so those are stuck where they are until they're done, unfortunately they are also prone to wear, but are the best A/S tire I have ever driven on, and even have $1k's worth on my Pontiac. ~ H

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Really, why is that?

If your tires are staggered (which is the stock setup on a 3 series), you can't rotate front-to-back, and if they're also directional you can't rotate side-to-side. Plus, rotation with the stock camber supposedly leads to cupping. I believe your Conti-Pros are non-directional and symmetrical, but even so my understanding is that the risks of side-to-side swapping outweigh the benefits; opinion seems to be split on this issue, with BMW falling squarely on the side of "bad idea."

Also, as Zippy says, they don't want to increase your scheduled maintenance visits at their expense.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I think "not supposed to rotate" might be a little strong...

Let's put it this way: the owner's manual says not to do it, and service centers will not do it as a matter of company policy. So, according to the manufacturer, you're not supposed to.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's put it this way: the owner's manual says not to do it, and service centers will not do it as a matter of company policy. So, according to the manufacturer, you're not supposed to.
Interestingly, the manual for my M Coupe states that you shouldn't swap the wheels on the axles, but does not impose restrictions on side to side swaps, nor, technically, swapping tires (though that would be one very expensive rotation). I've never asked my dealership if they would, mainly because I can't anyway. Anyway, I mention this not to be argumentative -- I remember your posts from my earlier lurking days -- but because I find BMW's position somewhat anomalous and interesting. ~ H

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your tires are staggered (which is the stock setup on a 3 series), you can't rotate front-to-back, and if they're also directional you can't rotate side-to-side. Plus, rotation with the stock camber supposedly leads to cupping. I believe your Conti-Pros are non-directional and symmetrical, but even so my understanding is that the risks of side-to-side swapping outweigh the benefits; opinion seems to be split on this issue, with BMW falling squarely on the side of "bad idea."

Also, as Zippy says, they don't want to increase your scheduled maintenance visits at their expense.

Interesting; I didn't know this. Thanks for the explanation.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Interestingly, the manual for my M Coupe states that you shouldn't swap the wheels on the axles, but does not impose restrictions on side to side swaps, nor, technically, swapping tires (though that would be one very expensive rotation). I've never asked my dealership if they would, mainly because I can't anyway. Anyway, I mention this not to be argumentative -- I remember your posts from my earlier lurking days -- but because I find BMW's position somewhat anomalous and interesting. ~ H
Most (all?) tires of the level that would likely go on a large staggered wheel setup (ie large diameter, low profile, high speed) are uni-directional and often assymetrical so side to side swaps are not feasible. On staggered setups that means you can't rotate tires, side to side or front to back. FWIW I think mm84321 has a 328i (?) or something, so it's likely those little 15" or 16"s are the same size all around and can do the front to back rotation. Only M and 'M sport' cars and the high powered BMWs with the largest hoops tend to get staggered wheel sets. Most everyday BMWs have 4 of the same thing on little 15's and 16's.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
FWIW I think mm84321 has a 328i (?) or something, so it's likely those little 15" or 16"s are the same size all around and can do the front to back rotation. Only M and 'M sport' cars and the high powered BMWs with the largest hoops tend to get staggered wheel sets. Most everyday BMWs have 4 of the same thing on little 15's and 16's.
Yes, 2007 328xi. However, I have the 17" rims that came with the sports package, if that makes any difference.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're probably the same size all around, because your car is AWD. However, if they're 'sport' wheels and tires, they're probably directional and therefore only rotatable front to back.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
They're probably the same size all around, because your car is AWD. However, if they're 'sport' wheels and tires, they're probably directional and therefore only rotatable front to back.

I have a "sport" 2007 328i and it came with staggered 18" wheel setup.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I think I posted something about my E30 on here. But you can do allot of the stuff you self. The only problem is the older the car, it seems the parts get harder to find. And If you have an rarer model like say the AWD IX ver, if something goes wrong with the drive shaft and there are no replacements for sale, your going to have to make a new one or find another rare model that has a good one.

That parts do cost allot more then a Ford or an Chevy. But the car is also allot nice then a Ford or a Chevy.

Get a Manual trans.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screw what BMW says, I rotate my tires on my E46. My car is on 18" BBS LM's and aftermarket suspension. My car originally had non staggered 17'' sport pack wheels and the wheels I put on are non staggered to allow for rotations. Even if I was driving an E46 M3, chances are I would run 18" aftermarket non staggered wheels.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm confused by this, because I have a stock e46 (no sport package), and the first time I took it in for service at the dealer -- this was probably in 2005 -- they specifically asked if I wanted the tires rotated (but mentioned that the cost wouldn't be covered under warranty).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads