• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever recrafted shoes with an independent cobbler? If so, who do you use/prefer? And how would you compare cobbler Vs factory recraft?

I have only used Church's refurbishment service, in terms of manufacturing original. Never again. Way overpriced. I am lucky I have found a few very skilled cobblers in Canada who know what they are doing.
Well yes, actually I did within the last week pick up a pair from my local shoemaker and then took delivery on these AE Hinsdales. Local guy charged me $120 for these thrifted $8 Alan McAfee wingtips; I posted about them a few days ago. I'm delighted with them:
fullsizeoutput_1347.jpeg

Almost a spade sole, am I right?
fullsizeoutput_1346.jpeg

Then I stumbled on these Hinsdale shell cordovan loafers; they had already been recrafted. I have never paid to use AE's service myself, but as I understand it they use JR soles for shell cordovan recrafting and charge $125. Not sure about that. But the results are great.
fullsizeoutput_13a6.jpeg

I think they stopped making these shoes quite a while ago. If anyone knows how to date them, please let me know.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yes, actually I did within the last week pick up a pair from my local shoemaker and then took delivery on these AE Hinsdales. Local guy charged me $120 for these thrifted $8 Alan McAfee wingtips; I posted about them a few days ago. I'm delighted with them:
View attachment 1015172
View attachment 1015174
Then I stumbled on these Hinsdale shell cordovan loafers; they had already been recrafted. I have never paid to use AE's service myself, but as I understand it they use JR soles for shell cordovan recrafting and charge $125. Not sure about that. But the results are great.
View attachment 1015188
I think they stopped making these shoes quite a while ago. If anyone knows how to date them, please let me know.

Can you PM me your cobbler info? Always looking to try new ones!

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! For the cracked and missing bits of piping along the topline, do you just use some leather dye to make it less noticeable or is there anything else you can do to repair it?
What really stuck out visually was the black piping that had cracked and peeled versus the white base layer. I used nail clippers to trim down the fragments of piping that were sticking up, then rubbed in fingertip amounts of black shoe polish to make the color contrast less noticeable. It still feels rough around the collar, but better than before and the shell is in great shape. For $15.75 I'm happy.

Last edited:

tmethecat

Reaction score
Cross post from the Shoe Challenge thread.
20180805_113126-jpg.1014555

I think I'm finished with the Shoe Challenge MacNeils. I'm not sure of the year on these, but would guess 1980's most likely. Turned out similar to the Haig & Dunn I did earlier for the challenge, but I'm an Allen Edmonds guy at heart so very excited about this pair. Still can't believe I got these for $15 plus shipping!

Before:
20180727_165820-jpg.1014559

More after:
20180805_113620-jpg.1014569
20180805_113928-jpg.1014558
20180805_114010-jpg.1014560
Outstanding!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the Ebay sourced Stuart McGuire shell PTBs arrived today. Although they fit TTS, they are significantly wider than my Leeds of the same size. I suspect the SM last is closer to Alden’s barrie last. The SMs are super dark; almost black. Probably dyed by SM. They also look like an acrylic finish was applied, much like Alden. I'm guessing SM was trying to replicate Alden's PTB. I haven't tried to strip or clean them inasmuch as I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them. Looks like the welt is some plastic, man made material. Here's a picture next to my AE Leeds that need to be conditioned and shined.
View attachment 1015152
Why would they use a vinyl welt on a cordovan shoe? That’s like setting a multi-karat diamond on a ring made of tin.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
I might have something for all of you! I’ll look tomorrow. I know I found 6-8 pairs of 7.5 and 8.5 Eee about 4 years ago and I sold a few. But, I think I have more. That has to be a hard size to find. I’m 11.5C (sometimes B and sometimes D) so it’s not nearly as hard to find as yours.

Thanks for letting us know! PM sent.

well-kept

Reaction score
View attachment 1015172
View attachment 1015174
View attachment 1015188
The Hinsdale was made from the mid-late 90s until the early 200s. In my view they were the best-designed loafers AE has ever made. I have a pair in shell, purchased in 1997, which have been worn to an extraordinary degree and are still good. They were made on the old number 4 last, which is no longer used, a fact lamented by many. If your pair are a good fit for you it's a lucky find.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sporting my Canadian made Florsheim. Likely manufactured at the John McHale factory as I have seen JM branded shoes that are a mirror image.

I got these in near NOS condition from @mariusscott . A cobbler installed topy and new cat paw heels, and now I use as my rain shoes or for casual "no suit" days at office.

IMG_20180807_071921.jpg

IMG_20180807_071930.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads