• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FeloniusMonk

Reaction score

I won the bid for these Florsheim boots. Curious if they are really 1920s? Or more 1930-1940s? I think the sole would date it best.

Do you think the leather is kangaroo with the wrinkling?

View attachment 1374014
View attachment 1374015
I think the wrinkling is just loose grain in the leather. I have a pair of boots that looks similar, and they're definitely not kangaroo.

right_hook

Reaction score
I been watching this one and would do it if my daughter would to wear vintage shoe .. but she likes girly girl shoes.

I honestly think we should let our daughters to be girls and have their girly preferences.
In this, all obligations to equip their children with proper shoes fall on those with sons. So, @suitforcourt , here is what you should do. Just find some nice tiny lwbs for your boy and buy them using OBO following your mom's special recipe (it will make us even more proud). Then use saved money to give little fella some bribe to wear them when walking with you (not to school, don't ruin his child's life). When your wife ask about his shoes tell her your son just got taste for proper footwear and asked you to buy him some. And then, using your own words, just stick to your story!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some research last night and found these ads online from the April, 1939 edition of Esquire. I thought you fellas might enjoy.

View attachment 1373758

View attachment 1373759

View attachment 1373760

View attachment 1373762

View attachment 1373763

View attachment 1373764

View attachment 1373765

Those Catalog pics are awesome! Thanks for sending them!

I picked up two nice pairs of Dacks Antelope whole-cuts today. The smaller pair should fit me. I also got a very nice pair of early 60's Hartt's with correct shoe-trees, Size 10.5E which shoud work for my son. Having picked up 12 pairs since Friday my shoe buying budget is blown for the year, but the time to buy is when you see them, so I couldn't resist.

View attachment 1373829 View attachment 1373830

I missed a detail when I first read this! 12 pairs since Friday?? Dang! That is a spree! But, if you found that many vintage shoes for a good price, that is fantastic!

If only I had a time machine...

That said, I do own this pair or Imperials:

dy4gms8.jpg

YMtO8CH.jpg

Those are GORGEOUS!

I wish I could find some tan/white or brown/white spectators.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it advisable to use saddle soap on shell? I’ve always been under the impression that it’s something to avoid.
I dunno. What I use is glycerin soap, but generally speaking, I've been under the impression that saddle soap is pretty benign and isn't as harsh as other cleansers.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that I won't even notice the brain damage.

Ok, give me the details.
Well, I think you might need to strip the finish off as I think that’s what’s shot. I’d start with some renomat, just to ensure that it’s not wax and such (but I don’t think it is). If your still seeing surface finish abnormalities, get out the acetone (in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors, IMHO), and strip the finish off. You’ll probably also want to invest in appro leather shoe dye, along with an appropriate acrylic finish, though you don’t have to go with such a finish, you could use a less permanent (though more maintenance intensive) cream polish finish.

Note: all of this may result in shoe destruction, great sadness or an epic win for vintage shoe science.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. What I use is glycerin soap, but generally speaking, I've been under the impression that saddle soap is pretty benign and isn't as harsh as other cleansers.
Depends on the soap. Personally, I think the cheapie Kiwi Saddle Soap is outstanding and is great for cleaning and providing a first stage of hydration (though you should also use conditioner after thoroughly dried from cleaning).

You can take a pair that looks like this:
LWlnU6t.jpg

And make them look like this:
wP133U1.jpg

(Color gamut is off, but you get the idea.) Basically, most of the improvement came from a good, fairly “wet” saddle soaping, followed by drying with shoe trees, some leather lotion (inside and out) and just a bit of cream polish.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are GORGEOUS!

I wish I could find some tan/white or brown/white spectators.
Yeah, well, I didn’t exactly find them... I think David actually told me about them hanging out on his watchlist. I had to have them; the chances of me finding these in my size, ever again, have to be astronomically high (they were MTO).

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think you might need to strip the finish off as I think that’s what’s shot. I’d start with some renomat, just to ensure that it’s not wax and such (but I don’t think it is). If your still seeing surface finish abnormalities, get out the acetone (in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors, IMHO), and strip the finish off. You’ll probably also want to invest in appro leather shoe dye, along with an appropriate acrylic finish, though you don’t have to go with such a finish, you could use a less permanent (though more maintenance intensive) cream polish finish.

Note: all of this may result in shoe destruction, great sadness or an epic win for vintage shoe science.
I'll give it a shot, starting with the Ren'omat. I'm curious about the acrylic finish, though. I was under the impression that shell didn't have a topcoat.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, starting with the Ren'omat. I'm curious about the acrylic finish, though. I was under the impression that shell didn't have a topcoat.
I’m no shell expert, but I was under the impression from the grand-expert, Shoonoob, that there is indeed a layer of finish. We’re not talking the industrial-grade PU finish of CG, but the same sort of thing that’s applied to calf.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Nunn Bush walnut wingtips

IMG_20200420_113510.jpg
IMG_20200420_113527.jpg
IMG_20200420_123929.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alad_insane