• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If a system has a single good game on it, it was worth the release. The hardware doesn't matter, the games do.

I get that point of view, but what's wrong with wanting the most powerful hardware that can run expansive graphically intensive worlds with advanced AI? Hardware advancements do matter. Otherwise we might as well keep playing our PS3's or Xbox 360's forever.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fantastic recap of what a **** show MS' XBONE conference was.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Nananine

Reaction score

I get that point of view, but what's wrong with wanting the most powerful hardware that can run expansive graphically intensive worlds with advanced AI? Hardware advancements do matter. Otherwise we might as well keep playing our PS3's or Xbox 360's forever.

Absolutely nothing wrong, of course. But a good game matters more. My top three games last year were Hotline Miami, The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line. The first could be run on my netbook, the second on an iPad, the third, only a console or PC. It doesn't make a difference.

I buy all the consoles and portables because if there's a game with an interesting idea or mechanic, it's worth playing.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spec ops was a turd :stirpot: props to them for making a story-driven game which is a rarity these days.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From a pure specs standpoint, they certainly are not. The advantage for consoles has always been the tight development environment based on fixed hardware that doesn't change. Over time they squeeze far more life out of console hardware then is possible with the moving target that is PC development. You can expect the PS4 and XBONE to hold up well over the years even has their hardware becomes more and more dated.

Both PC and consoles have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm just glad to finally see some new consoles hit. Been ready for a while.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are being vague about the specs because they know Sony has the upper hand this time. The PS4 will have a beefier GPU and a large increase in RAM speed/bandwidth. It's also been confirmed that the "three OS" strategy that MS has implemented has a large cost in system RAM. Three gigs are being reserved for these operating systems to run, leaving only five gigs left for gaming. Now, we don't have confirmation on how memory intensive the PS4's OS will be but it's rumored to be closer to one gig.

I saved this quote from another forum, but it does a pretty good job of explaining how this went down.

Unlike the previous generation, both consoles are based on the same core architecture. So it's not unreasonable to believe that the spec advantage of the PS4 will lead to fairly easy gains in multi-platform and exclusive games.

Coupled with the fact that Sony's messaging from day one has been "gamers first," they have a real chance of winning back a lot of the ground in the USA they lost last generation.

In regards to DRM, we know that Sony is taking note of the public's reaction to what MS is doing. If this is a big enough issue for you, then let them know how you feel. http://www.destructoid.com/gamers-make-it-clear-to-sony-they-want-a-drm-free-ps4-254624.phtml

Yeah, the PS3 ports were bad because most devs porting games didn't bother to figure it out. I don't really think we'll see any PS4 exclusive improvements with multi-plat titles only because I see then just going after the low hanging fruit, developing to XBone specs and just doing a barebones port. I'm more annoyed at MS asking consumers to stay tuned for more information on thinks like power states, used games, online connectivity, kinect requirements, etc. It's like they announced the console...but they didn't.

If a system has a single good game on it, it was worth the release. The hardware doesn't matter, the games do.

They said they have 15 exclusives lined up. 8(7?) of them are new IPs. One already shown was the Remedy game. That means 6~7 new ones, but you have to wonder how many are kinect focused games. I don't really see then having many, if any, exclusives that will make me want the XBone at the moment, especially considering all the baggage that comes with it.

Tried out the Metro Light game that came w/ my GTX 660....pretty nice game actually. I wasn't expecting much but it kept my attention for a while.

Oh and this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbox-One-PlayStation-4-IGNITE-Frostbite-Rajat-Taneja,22756.html

EA: PS4, XBox One Are a 'Generation Ahead' of Gaming PCs

LOL WUT

From a pure specs standpoint, they certainly are not. The advantage for consoles has always been the tight development environment based on fixed hardware that doesn't change. Over time they squeeze far more life out of console hardware then is possible with the moving target that is PC development. You can expect the PS4 and XBONE to hold up well over the years even has their hardware becomes more and more dated.

Both PC and consoles have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm just glad to finally see some new consoles hit. Been ready for a while.

Yeah, I imagine that he's talking about the overall architectural elegance of the systems, not that they're actually a generation ahead. No console is going to stand up to an overclocked i7, SLI'd Titans and an SSD, but obviously things like HSA, unified memory, dedicated audio have a leg up over PCs.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cannot wait to get it

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Polygon gave it a 7.5. :stirpot:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads