• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teeka

Reaction score
Break-In procedure was done. These boys are ready to rock
1f60a.png

30D84962-6608-409C-801C-6B90181AB5C9_zpsalkrvojh.jpg

Whirling

Reaction score

As illustrated above, I decided I would like another pair of Vibergs, after really enjoying my Viberg 151Xes. My 151Xes are 9.5D and fit pretty well, but I felt I could use a touch more length. Also, though not a big concern, I felt I wanted something a tad smaller in width/volume. Viberg doesn't do a C width, but they will do a B width. I was a bit worried that that would be too narrow for me, but I felt I could give it a try--especially because I prefer thin socks, even with heavy boots, due to my feet always being hot and sweaty.

I had called and was prepared to wait for four or five months to get my boots. Then, when I called back, it was suggested that I send in a ton of measurements to make sure that the custom-ordered boots would fit. I then noticed on their website that they had a single pair of Viberg 251Xes available in a 10B, ready-to-go. As they normally don't stock any X versions of their 251, and certainly not in a B width, these must have been a custom-order that fell through for some reason or didn't fit the original purchaser. I can say there weren't any signs of them even being tried on, so who can say?

I ordered them on a Monday and they arrived in Philadelphia on Friday, which is pretty darn quick. I am glad to say that they fit wonderfully. I thought the 9.5D felt great, but these are even better. Frankly, they are only a little narrower than the 9.5D, which was good for me. I can still wear them with the sole inserts and medium-weight socks. The water buffalo leather is almost like a nubuck in its matte finish.

Some of the specs: 10"-tall workboot upper, black 8 oz. Water Buffalo, 100R Vibram Lug Sole (Fire and Ice compound), nailed construction, one extra heel lift compared to 151, actual "Topy" hard rubber piece nailed and glued under arch of sole (originally for durability standing on motorcycle pegs), steel "CSA" safety toe, black nylon laces, antique brass eyelets and hooks (as opposed to the usual bright brass).

Although it doesn't bug me much, I did notice that the fully-gusseted tongues don't quite reach to the top of the boot. They were clearly made this way on purpose, so I bet it was requested by whoever originally ordered them. I am not sure why, but it's not an issue because I wouldn't generally lace them through the top eyelet anyway. Also, I noticed the tongue leather is a bit heavier and stiffer than the tongue leather on the 151Xes.

Went for a hike in them prior to the photo above. I find them comfortable right from the start, but that seems to be common for me. Even heavy boots that are supposed to require a lot of break-in tend to feel comfortable from the start for me. This is probably related to my low-volume feet...

Now, I do realize that this forum is really about the fashion Vibergs, but I can tell you the work boots are really incredibly satisfying. They are super high quality. The nailed construction is a true throwback method and not available from much of anywhere else (that I know of). Also, they cost less than the fashion Vibergs, especially with the weak Canadian dollar. If any of you guys feel at all tempted by these heavy-duty boots, I bet you would be satisfied...

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do the natural chrome pack boots fit a little smaller because chrome pack is a little heavier?

gsgleason

Reaction score
I just got my 3sixteen mini ripple in natural CXL RO, and I think the 2040 is my new favorite last, followed by the 1035. I never noticed that the outer rapid stitch on the mini ripple goes all the way around. It's a nice touch, even if it's purely aesthetic. They did a shoddy job on the eyelets, though, which at this price point for non-shell is a disappointment.

Hopefully soon I'll have the GMTO chukka in 110 to compare as well.

I dropped off the Mahogany shell 2030 boots at the post office this morning after selling on Grailed. Sad face.

I decided to bite the bullet and put up the rest of my 2030 boots, with one exception, as well. They just aren't fit for my feet.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my 3sixteen mini ripple in natural CXL RO, and I think the 2040 is my new favorite last, followed by the 1035. I never noticed that the outer rapid stitch on the mini ripple goes all the way around. It's a nice touch, even if it's purely aesthetic. They did a shoddy job on the eyelets, though, which at this price point for non-shell is a disappointment.

Hopefully soon I'll have the GMTO chukka in 110 to compare as well.

I dropped off the Mahogany shell 2030 boots at the post office this morning after selling on Grailed. Sad face.

I decided to bite the bullet and put up the rest of my 2030 boots, with one exception, as well. They just aren't fit for my feet.

I have worn my 3sixteen's 4 times already since getting them....the 2040 is pretty stellar - It strikes a nice balance for sure.

gsgleason

Reaction score

do the natural chrome pack boots fit a little smaller because chrome pack is a little heavier?

The ones I tried from viberg.com had less room in the toe box than several other 2030 boots I've owned.

I don't know if it's necessarily specific to the material, or the fact that handmade footwear is never 100% consistent.

Whirling

Reaction score
I took some close ups of the 8 oz. water buffalo leather on my new Vibergs. It really is fantastic and unique stuff. It has almost a nubuck feel to it. You can see a lot of texture in it and suggestions of hair follicles. I have only worn the boots a couple times, so this is basically the look of the leather new. For how thick and durable the leather is, it feels very soft.

wms68

Reaction score
I never noticed that the outer rapid stitch on the mini ripple goes all the way around. It's a nice touch, even if it's purely aesthetic.

This seems to be the case on any Vibergs (Service Boots / Chukka's / Oxfords) I have with a Vibram sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics