• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see that chamois leather I regret not ordering the Hopper more and more. @LA Guy how did you let me drop the ball on that???
I dunno man. I got the chukkas for myself, but not the Hopper. wtf is wrong with me?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in an apathetic stage with regards to interest in new boots (of all brands). Thinking maybe the Hopper might have rejuvenated my interest.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
My only issue with the Engineer Boot is that sometimes the vamp up the front looks really odd to me, like it sticks out and there is way too much room - almost like one of those rubber rain boots that kids wear. ...other times it looks more snugged fit and really great - for the price I just was not going to take a chance....I am sure I will cry after seeing them on others but so long as the Chukka is half as cool as I think, I will be happy....in theory

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only issue with the Engineer Boot is that sometimes the vamp up the front looks really odd to me, like it sticks out and there is way too much room - almost like one of those rubber rain boots that kids wear. ...other times it looks more snugged fit and really great - for the price I just was not going to take a chance....I am sure I will cry after seeing them on others but so long as the Chukka is half as cool as I think, I will be happy....in theory

I don't always wear Engineers, but when i do ...

I've always wanted to @least have a pair of Engineers in my stable, but I just wasn't sure I have the steez to "own" it.

The Hopper, based on the dotcom design, convinced me to give it a try. What I liked about it is that they're dialed down & does not overwhelm ... like a "starter" boots ... & IMO, unlike most, they're not cowboy/biker-ish, boxy, bulky, nor clunky__ like those high stacked "Woodsman" heels on some Lofgrens.

The partially structured 2005 last made a world of difference, for me. Because they're EEs & lacking toe structure, you got front toe access [all the way to the tip] ... if you size them right. As you wear them, the toes will collapse to the shape of your feet ... w/c is of course, more of a personal taste/preference.

brooks23

Reaction score

I have a pair of these black roughout Scout Boots from Mohawk General Store I'm thinking about unloading if anyone is interested. Total impulse buy which really doesn't fit my wardrobe and I can't really justify keeping them and not wearing them.

sz10.5, 2030 last, change of laces and original box included. Never worn except to try on about 3 times for 5-10 minutes a time. Haven't tried the marketplace or Grailed because I'm not sure what to list them at.

Joona

Reaction score
Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes the Commando sole offered by Viberg? Last year I looked into a resole of my regular studded Dainite and hoped to try the Ridgeway made by the same mfr as Dainite. Guy indicated that they don't offer the Ridgeway but rather a commando. Is it the Dainite manufacturer or perhaps a Vibram?

A google image search of Viberg commando reveals both a full sole unit (like the Dainite) as well as some half soles (like the Vibram 430).

Edited to add:
Just dug up the email correspondence from Drew (not Guy). You can request a one piece for $80 or a two piece for $125. Still curious about the manufacturer.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full commando sole on my blue collar **** kickers GMTO is Goodyear.

Thanks @meso . Just found some pics from earlier in the thread. Goodyear Commando made in UK. Looks perfect for my winter boot needs. I like the full/one piece compared to the two piece. I'll stick with Dainite for this season and send them in over the summer.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the look and grip of commando. My only complaint is that it picks up bits of gravel that have to be picked out with needlenose pliers. But this may be a particularly "southern california" problem... damn dry gardens!

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes the Commando sole offered by Viberg? Last year I looked into a resole of my regular studded Dainite and hoped to try the Ridgeway made by the same mfr as Dainite. Guy indicated that they don't offer the Ridgeway but rather a commando. Is it the Dainite manufacturer or perhaps a Vibram?

A google image search of Viberg commando reveals both a full sole unit (like the Dainite) as well as some half soles (like the Vibram 430).

Edited to add:
Just dug up the email correspondence from Drew (not Guy). You can request a one piece for $80 or a two piece for $125. Still curious about the manufacturer.

Not much help on your question, but I really like the Ridgeway sole. I have asked other makers that use Dainite to use their Ridgeway, and they won't. The minimums and cost must be much higher over other commando / Vibram options.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
First of all...I think we owe @Stickydonk a round of applause on the Hopper Boot design, what will surely go down as a hall-of-famer in GMTO history!

Second of all...anyone order the Apsley boot today? Anyone? Anyone??

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads