• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vesting of benefits

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are benefits decisions made when people swap jobs at more senior levels (after several years of employment with a company)?

It seems like a lot of companies base things like vacation time and retirement plan matching on how long you have been an employee. For example, 401k matching may only be 80% for the first 5 years or you might gain additional vacation time as a result of a specific policy that bases it on time worked.

If you switch jobs and go to another company, do you start at the bottom again or do they give you a sort of credit (giving benefits as if you had been with the company for X years despite being a new hire). How do they decide on this credit? Is it something they base on years of experiance in the industry, try to approximate benefits from a previous job, or do they use it to play around with to sway people in hiring decisions?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive never heard of a company speeding up the vesting of benefits based on "time in the industry."

Vesting of 401k benefits especially is a sham. Companys use the 401k match as a selling point, but hide the vesting in their fine print. In this era of employee mobility, I think vesting is mainly a scam for companies shirk paying benefits rather than a tool to promote loyalty to the company.

Starting at the VP level benefits packages are usually completely different from the rank and file, and are more negotiable as well.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if you jump ship you could expect to drop back to say...2 weeks vacation/partial matching/etc?

Grenadier

Reaction score
You could, yes. Employee benefits are entirely at the discretion of the company. A benefit scheme that gets better for length of service is designed to keep employees working at the company so that the company doesn't have to train new people. If you have prior industry experience, it'll probably be recognized with a greater salary offer.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually...looking at the benefit schedules of the place where I am interning, I seem to have found a partial answer.

Things like vacation are definitely scaled by time with the company but those scales vary with the level of the position. Starting at a more senior position will put you behind those at your level with more time served but not in the same place as someone starting in a lower position.

indy116

Reaction score
Your overall compensation package is negotiable, not just the actual salary.

I'm a long term contractor (almost 3 years now..). I get more vacation time from my contract company than the company I'm working at gives to their full time employees with less than 5 or 10 years service. I've known guys that have transitioned from contractor to regular employee and made the company match the vacation time of our contract company.

Our health plan co-pay is also lower, but they haven't been able to change that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Related question: What about negotiating on salary/benefits for entry level positions? I figure it can't hurt to try once they have extended an offer (right?) but is there really much leeway or does it become a take it or leave it situation?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics