• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recently arrived tweeds from marton mills, hopefull will be funded end of the month:
4utM6Z4h.jpg

47Lq0yPh.jpg

ooh, any more details on the mill? havent heard of them before...

camez_

Reaction score
How does it stand up against the tweeds that are regularly talked about? Is it robust like a Harris Tweed, or soft like a donegal tweed? do they produce for other merchants?

I dig a lot off their tartan stuff, but dont know if I could pull it off haha

i'm pretty sure that they produce for other merchants but actually wouldn't be able to pinpoint names

minimum order is 13m, so we could also do a little run that I can organize if people are interested

their wool holds up pretty well, not as texture rich as wbill shetland or soft as wbill donegal but similar to magee or moon I'd say.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
How would you guys compare Fox's tweed to Huddersfield's Harris tweed? Is Fox's worth the added cost? Thinking about commissioning a casual tweed safari jacket for spring and fall use.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys compare Fox's tweed to Huddersfield's Harris tweed? Is Fox's worth the added cost? Thinking about commissioning a casual tweed safari jacket for spring and fall use.

IMO opinion, where Fox really nails it (not just with tweed, but all around) is with really great colors and patterns.

I'll see if I can dig up some swatches, but I went on a hunt for a grey herringbone a while ago from various merchants. Fox Bros was off the table due to the cost, but I was not impressed with the Porter and Harding Harris Tweed (only 440g and the colors seemed washed out). Harris Tweed and Knitwear's generic no-name HT was nicer and 500g per meter and 1/3rd of price of P&H and Huddersfield. Molloy and Son's was the nicest and reasonably priced, but it clocks in a bit heavy at 610g per meter.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does it stand up against the tweeds that are regularly talked about? Is it robust like a Harris Tweed, or soft like a donegal tweed? do they produce for other merchants?

I dig a lot off their tartan stuff, but dont know if I could pull it off haha

The stuff under "Tartans" doesn't look very hairy, whereas their "Tweed" stuff is more so. I bought 2 sporting coat lengths a couple years ago from Yorkshire Fabric, who I think was how Marton or some customer of theirs was getting rid of ends of rolls.

Salvo doesn't fool around - my suit coat and sport coat's patch pockets were placed weirdly, so both went back to Sicily with him to be lowered. Salvo sent me this photo this AM - I was concerned if they would need to be recut for pattern matching purposes, but they did not.

View attachment 1760718

I had one of the 2 lengths made up last winter, probably only worn 6 or so times so far.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
IMO opinion, where Fox really nails it (not just with tweed, but all around) is with really great colors and patterns.

I'll see if I can dig up some swatches, but I went on a hunt for a grey herringbone a while ago from various merchants. Fox Bros was off the table due to the cost, but I was not impressed with the Porter and Harding Harris Tweed (only 440g and the colors seemed washed out). Harris Tweed and Knitwear's generic no-name HT was nicer and 500g per meter and 1/3rd of price of P&H and Huddersfield. Molloy and Son's was the nicest and reasonably priced, but it clocks in a bit heavy at 610g per meter.

These are the two I'm thinking of right now: Fox and Huddersfield. There is a price difference, of course, but is Fox worth paying a premium?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the two I'm thinking of right now: Fox and Huddersfield. There is a price difference, of course, but is Fox worth paying a premium?

190GBP for a tweed is a hefty price, it money wasn’t a consideration or my tailor could get it a good price I’d go for it. But otherwise I’d pass…

this one is more of a forest green than an olive, but it’s also 37GBP vs 190 GBP

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree. They have a good eye for colour, probably the best among English mills, and don't skimp on yarn designs. Even their standard navy jacketings are better than most other English offerings.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cotton linen blend velvet source?

KINGSMAN via Mr. Porter uses an Italian sourced 59(cotton)%/41(linen)% blend for their velvet dinner jacket. View attachment 1875812

What a stunning dinner jacket! Lovely shade of colour.

Didn't know about velvet in cotton/linen blend. From the pictures seems that linen adds more texture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads