• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo vest / wedding questions

tangleman

Reaction score
I'm a relative newcomer to this site, but the forums here have been invaluable in educating myself about how to build a wardrobe of good suits. Now, however, I'm hoping all of you can help with some wedding-related questions.

I'm getting married in January and intend to buy a tuxedo for that illustrious event. I want to wear a vest/waistcoat, but as most of the OTR tuxedos that I've considered (in my price range of < $ 1000) lack a vest, I've had to look for a standalone vest in my preferred style: a traditional three-button vest with oblong/shawl lapels. Specifically, I'd like to wear a white pique vest, instead of black silk. This, however, leads to a few questions:

(1) Is a backless white vest more common, or more proper, than a backed white vest? The BlackTieGuide website and my own research suggest that backless is the norm -- BB, Ede & Ravenscroft, Lord West, etc., sell backless vests, while I could find only one vendor, Oliver Brown, that offers a backed white vest. Does anyone have actual experience.that may shed light on the back vs. backless issue?

(2) I want to to wear mother-of-pearl square studs set in silver for my tuxedo shirt (which, if relevant, has a wing-collar). Will that clash with the round white buttons of the white vest (or, in the case of some of the UK retailers noted above, round mother-of-pearl buttons)? Should I switch to round studs?
-a picture of the type of square studs I mean is: http://www.brookstone.com/silver-mo...iid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|769196p (I can't find a picture online of the studs that actually interest me, but these are close)
-my fallback set of round studs (the designer makes the square studs that actually interest me): http://www.cufflinksdepot.com/p/H96866202/Sterling+Silver+Pearl+Stud+Set.html

(3) If I'm wearing the traditional style of vest, do my groomsmen need to match that style? What about the color -- if I wear a white vest, do they also have to wear white vests, or is it appropriate for them to wear black vests?

(4) The tuxedo will have peak, satin lapels. If I wear the white pique vest, should I get a "matching" black pique bow tie (assuming that even exists), or do I stick with a black silk bowtie to match the lapels?

I'd appreciate any assistance you could offer on these questions....

Thanks!

Zac Duncan

Reaction score
Your groomsmen is better to match with your style but no need to have the same white color with you, it'll better if they wear black and you'll stand out

Ans just stick with a black silk bowtie to match the lapels

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1) it doesn't really matter about the back, just depends if you want to be hotter or cooler. Backless is obviously cooler.

2) for me, the square studs would be fine.

3) NO! groomsmen do not need to match you, and should not. just tell them to wear a tuxedo.

4) black silk bowtie to match lapels

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) it doesn't really matter about the back, just depends if you want to be hotter or cooler. Backless is obviously cooler.
2) for me, the square studs would be fine.
3) NO! groomsmen do not need to match you, and should not. just tell them to wear a tuxedo.
4) black silk bowtie to match lapels
Agreed about the groomsmen. As long as they are wearing proper black tie, they should be fine. Depending on how familiar they are with it, you may need to offer some suggestions (use BlackTieGuide as a reference) so that they don't end up looking like they are going to the prom.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the concept of matchy outfits to be a ploy by the combined forces of the polyester industry and the bridal-industrial complex. It's been expressed (maybe by Manton, I can't recall) that ideally, the male portion of a wedding party -- if black tie is specified -- should look like they all happened to decide to wear their tuxedos to the event.

A mix of cummerbunds and vests would hearken back to the days when men actually owned and used evening wear on a regular basis. I don't see it getting much classier than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads