• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

jvillal

Reaction score
jvillal, my 2 cents is I agree with Charlie, you should go Brannock but definitely email Vince as he could weigh in on the comparisons between the brands you mentioned. Vince is really helpful. I have a border 8.5 d/e Barrie and found enough width in the Truman.

What leather and sole you thinking of getting?

Thanks! Appreciate the advise and will definitely reach out to Vince.

I'm interested in something to replace my suede Clark DBs that I seem to need to replace every nine months so I'm looking at the Coyote Roughout since it looks like something I won't have to baby so much. But I will surely ask if there's any other interesting leathers coming up. Either way, I'm feeling like Commando is probably the way to go since I want something that can take some wear and will be versatile.

Last edited:

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am getting interested in the roughout boot but wonder if anyone can testify to the texture, or post another close up pic or two.  One of the things I initially liked about it was that it seemed less nappy than a lot of roughout, and i like that smoother side of roughout. But then a few pics make it seem more nappy than I thought it was...  Can anyone testify to how it compares to other roughout?  And would love to see pics of boots with wear.

Finally, probably this is listed somewhere, but am I right that it is natural CXL leather?

Thanks.

Linafelt. I would think the hides would vary but here us how mine turned out. The longer t nap was used on the heels 2nd picSorry for the iPhone pics

As far as I know coyote is not cxl roughout. Vince didhave some sample cxl roughout and made a few pairs but coyote is different. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Matthew Cruz

Reaction score
Coyote roughout is not a Horween cxl leather. It comes from Thoroughbred leather, which you can find on instagram under "
MARKCOXON01". Coyote roughout is very similar to cxl roughout but it has some extra water repellency built in. It's originally designed to be a military spec leather for combat boots. It's very smooth, when you first get it, but the high abrasion areas, like the heel, will get nappy after it wears in.

Here's a photo of the heel on mine. Keep in mind, this can be avoided if you're not rough on your boots. I actually wear my boots when I'm doing yard work and stuff, so they get messed up, but I actually like the look of these boots more worn in.

If you really needed to smooth it out, the shoe lady I go to(allen edmonds store 43rd, nyc), to get my dress shoes shined, says she can get worn in suedes back to smooth with a razor blade. It's a one shot deal, that she saves for stains or marks, that absolutely won't come out any other way.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linafelt. I would think the hides would vary but here us how mine turned out. The longer t nap was used on the heels 2nd picSorry for the iPhone pics

Coyote roughout is not a Horween cxl leather. It comes from Thoroughbred leather, which you can find on instagram under "
MARKCOXON01". Coyote roughout is very similar to cxl roughout but it has some extra water repellency built in. It's originally designed to be a military spec leather for combat boots. It's very smooth, when you first get it, but the high abrasion areas, like the heel, will get nappy after it wears in.

Thanks guys, very helpful. Matthew, wondering about the perforated captoes you have, the only ones I've seen on Truman. Did you ask for them, or were they just something Truman was trying out..?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@linafelt
 I asked for the perforated cap toe. He's actually done it before on a pair of Dublin leather boots I saw on Instagram. He charges more for it though, because he actually has to cut the pattern by hand.

Cool. I am not a fan of overly fancy brogueing on work boots, but the simplicity of that single line of holes is appealing.

andy b.

Reaction score

Am getting interested in the roughout boot but wonder if anyone can testify to the texture, or post another close up pic or two.  One of the things I initially liked about it was that it seemed less nappy than a lot of roughout, and i like that smoother side of roughout. But then a few pics make it seem more nappy than I thought it was...  Can anyone testify to how it compares to other roughout?  And would love to see pics of boots with wear.

Finally, probably this is listed somewhere, but am I right that it is natural CXL leather?

Thanks.

If the roughout is too nappy, just put a little Obenauf's on it to tame it down. The more you put on, the less nappy it will become. If you really layer it on, the boots will become almost smooth, maybe close to a pebble texture.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@CityofChamps those do look awesome. So it's all one material and then shoe grease is creating the contrast? I like that idea!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a good looking last.

It honestly is. I feel as if I heard somewhere that Vince bought the lasts from another shoe maker, but at the very least he has a good eye for what makes a good looking lifestyle work boot.

Did everyone see these whiskey bisons on Instagram?

Anyone due a pair?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It honestly is. I feel as if I heard somewhere that Vince bought the lasts from another shoe maker, but at the very least he has a good eye for what makes a good looking lifestyle work boot.

Anyone due a pair?

I am. :) Should be shipping out early next week. They emailed me Friday to verify my shipping info. I am beyond stoked.

I think these will be phenomenal with lighter denim.

sklark23

Reaction score

Anyone due a pair?
Yup! Mine come Tuesday. Super excited, I worked with Vince for a while trying to figure out which Bison we could get for the GMTO. Really excited about the color

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads