1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Truman Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gfloridafan93, Jan 5, 2015.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Weight does depend some on the sole too. That commando sole is much heavier than Danaite for example.

2. Quantail

Quantail Member

The issue is I'm not quite sure which sole it is.. I ordered the Ripple sole, though there is an outside chance that they'll come with the commando. There is excitement in the mystery.

3. gambit402

gambit402 Well-Known Member

I thought the GMTO was cancelled due to Vince not being happy with the leather he got?

4. dekalog

dekalog Well-Known Member

Could you post pics of the olive chromepack when you got the pair? I change to natural Dublin and want to see how dark the olive is.

5. dekalog

dekalog Well-Known Member

Vince is nice enough to offer alternative leather he had at that moment like natural Dublin (which I've choosen) or you can stick with the original olive or natural chromepak at your own risk

1 person likes this.
  6. Charlie92

Charlie92 Active Member

I got my brown waxed flesh with a Green Janus tongue.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Thanks. That is certainly green!

8. Quantail

Quantail Member

The Olive was actually good enough quality, the issue was that it's almost black rather than a nice deep olive. The Natural was a mess (inconsistent and blotchy). Having waited >3 months, Vince very kindly offered them at a sample price and I went with it. The leftover money will get tucked away till a new last is announced in the new year.
    The plan is to do so. Having lurked long enough on here and r/GYW, it's the right thing to do.

This is the makeup.

Size 11.5 D (medium)
    Olive Chromepak

Tongue can be another leather/color if you think it would look good. Leaving this up to the artisan.
    Brass eyelets + speed hooks.
    Plain Unstructured toe

Black ripple XL/jumbo sole (Commando if the others are not an option.)
    Pulltab

They are scheduled for delivery on Tuesday...

9. FrankCowperwood

Will look forward to seeing those!

10. Quantail

Quantail Member

Review:

Sizing is TTS, I'm 11 in clarks, 11 in OSB, 12 in APC, 12 in Grenson, 11.5 in Timberlands. Initially I considered size 11, but figured that they'd be too small. The 11.5 fits well with light/medium socks on. Thick socks were almost uncomfortable.

Materials are great, the soles look awesome but squeak like crazy on wooden floors. The Olive Chromepack has a lovely matt texture which hints as it's green origins but is black to ay casual glance. There is some hinting at build issues at the toe of one boot where the leather is either creased or scored next to the welt. The final picture shows where a corner of the leather is split/frayed. Nothing major from the first once over though.

Communication with Vince was exceptional, the order involved 40 emails and one phone call. He tried to special order mini-ripple soles but it proved too much, requiring a minimum order of 100 per size. The ripples look great. Delivery took a while but that's just the nature of the Christmas season. The GMTO was confirmed 8/27/15 and they arrived today.

The makeup:
    Size 11.5 D (medium)
    Olive Chromepak
    Tongue can be another leather/color if you think it would look good. Leaving this up to the artisan.
    Brass eyelets + speed hooks.
    Plain Unstructured toe

Black ripple XL/jumbo sole (Commando if the others are not an option.)
    Pulltab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

They look great and hopefully that chromepack will lighten up and let more of the olive shine through

12. FrankCowperwood

@Quantail Great looking boots. You may already have experience with Chromepak, but the one pair of shoes I have in that leather suggests it has good pull-up characteristics. Mine are natural Chromepak and they have some nice highlights around the stress areas. That may be where you really end up seeing the green come through.

13. Corduroytrees

Corduroytrees New Member

Great boots - mind posting the make-up of the Farmer Ranchers?

14. lobodelnorte

lobodelnorte Member

[​IMG]

Re-waxed Java Waxed Flesh. I waxed them with Obenauf's.

3 people like this.
  15. Corduroytrees

Corduroytrees New Member

This makes the wait for my pair that much worse. 8ish more weeks to go!

16. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

These are 8" brown oil tan on the smokejumper last with 430 sole and cuban heel.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. Shalomp

Shalomp Well-Known Member

not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me but im counting 8 eyelets?

i thought truman only allows 7?

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think that was a taller pattern they either did early on or as samples. Not sure why or where I would have got that info...so basically I have nothing to contribute...;lol

19. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

Kahuna. Yep. You pieced it together. Vince made boots a little taller when he first started making them from what I understand and then cut about an inch off. So one eyelet I guess was removed. Somewhere it stated these posted were one of the first waxed flesh made so most likely made before he shortened the boot. Someone may have more details but that is my understanding of the progress of Truman boots

20. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Anyone got pics of a pair of Dublin with some miles on them??