• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Recommendations for Bespoke Trousers in London?

jcorqian

Reaction score
Hi all - I haven't posted here for a long time but recently moved to London and was hoping to get some recommendations for bespoke trousers in London. I did a quick search on the forum and nothing reasonable came up.

I am a bit hard to fit with ready wear pants in general (some may laugh but the only thing that seems to work is Bonobos' athletic cut), so I tried using Pommella for bespoke. The experience with them has been quite mixed unfortunately, and they just haven't been able to get the rise right (and somehow don't seem to be actually altering it despite multiple fittings where it's the clear problem). I'll chalk it up for now to just simply trying to manage the process in NYC relative to Italy without too much in-person fittings / interactions. However, I'm much more keen on just going to a local place where I can be in-person frequently.

So with all that said, I would welcome the forum's recommendations here, especially those of you with firsthand experience. I live pretty close to Savile Row so could easily go wherever there, but happy to go anywhere else in the city too - wherever you think best.

Thanks very much in advance.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bespoke per se, but Anderson and Sheppard has an MTM trouser
program that offers a wide range of models, in addition to their bespoke.
Actually they are RTW, but when I was in the shop several years ago, one
tried on samples of the models and they made them up. So my guess was
that one could make modifications in them. I never pursued this as I was
leaving London the next day. The did have models that met my individual
requirements: shortish rise and not too much fabric in the seat.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with Whitcomb & Shaftesbury. Well-made, good finishing, for a relatively okay price (800GBP per pair generally, depending on cloth). Sian and Richard cut the garments in the shop in London (St. George's square) and they're put together in their workshop in India. You can have them made in London but that increases the price (to a level in line with other West End tailors) for no discernible improvement in quality.

I've had four made so far, with consistently good results. Can post pictures if you need them.

jcorqian

Reaction score
I've been very happy with Whitcomb & Shaftesbury. Well-made, good finishing, for a relatively okay price (800GBP per pair generally, depending on cloth). Sian and Richard cut the garments in the shop in London (St. George's square) and they're put together in their workshop in India. You can have them made in London but that increases the price (to a level in line with other West End tailors) for no discernible improvement in quality.

I've had four made so far, with consistently good results. Can post pictures if you need them.
Thanks very much, if you don't mind could you post the pictures? Very intrigued.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much, if you don't mind could you post the pictures? Very intrigued.
Some poor pictures of the finishing and the overall cut I have for mine in the spoiler. If you end up going for it, tell them Teo sent you.

IMG_7104.JPEG

IMG_7145.JPEG

IMG_7220.JPG

IMG_7276.JPEG

IMG_7277.JPEG

IMG_7278.JPG

IMG_7274.JPEG

DaAlSh

Reaction score
Highly recommend Kent Haste in Sackville Street - I'm now about 15 pairs in with absolutely no complaints....

jcorqian

Reaction score
Appreciate all the suggestions... will be heading over to Savile Row later this week to try these out.

Teo thanks especially for helping me out with the pictures.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I'm a regular customer at Cad&the Dandy (through their Swedish sister company). Price-wise, they can't be beat for full bespoke; I've paid the equivilent of just south of 350 pounds for full bespoke trousers (cut in London, sewn in-house in India). Trousers is probably the best candidate for this type of off-shore service becaue they're much easier to fit than a jacket - and this is coming from someone who can never find RTW trousers that fit. Can definitely recommend.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular customer at Cad&the Dandy (through their Swedish sister company). Price-wise, they can't be beat for full bespoke; I've paid the equivilent of just south of 350 pounds for full bespoke trousers (cut in London, sewn in-house in India). Trousers is probably the best candidate for this type of off-shore service becaue they're much easier to fit than a jacket - and this is coming from someone who can never find RTW trousers that fit. Can definitely recommend.
This is a very compelling price. Do you know if they retain the same pricing through their London shop?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
This is a very compelling price. Do you know if they retain the same pricing through their London shop?

I would say about the same, yeah. Looking at the RTW prices, they track fairly evenly between Stockholm and London, I'm guessing bespoke will be roughtly equal too.

Keep in mind, the 350 is for entry level fabrics (usually heavier twills - still very good ones in my experience). Since Cad keeps the manufacture cost low, the choice of fabric will have a proportionally larger effect on the price than traditional tailors. Still, the most expensive trousers they've cut for me, made in 530g Fox Bros flannel, cost the equivilent of under 500 pounds.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say about the same, yeah. Looking at the RTW prices, they track fairly evenly between Stockholm and London, I'm guessing bespoke will be roughtly equal too.

Keep in mind, the 350 is for entry level fabrics (usually heavier twills - still very good ones in my experience). Since Cad keeps the manufacture cost low, the choice of fabric will have a proportionally larger effect on the price than traditional tailors. Still, the most expensive trousers they've cut for me, made in 530g Fox Bros flannel, cost the equivilent of under 500 pounds.
Thanks, I am definitely going to check them out.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Thanks, I am definitely going to check them out.

When you do, tell them Sam sent you.

It will make absolutely no difference since they don't even know who I am (seeing that I order in Stockholm), but it will make me feel better that my name is being referenced on Saville Row :)

jcorqian

Reaction score
Popped in to CAD and the Dandy today, can confirm the prices in London. 400 for a pretty good, basic fabric. Probably 500 to 600 for the really nicer stuff.

Last edited:

jcorqian

Reaction score
Not bespoke per se, but Anderson and Sheppard has an MTM trouser
program that offers a wide range of models, in addition to their bespoke.
Actually they are RTW, but when I was in the shop several years ago, one
tried on samples of the models and they made them up. So my guess was
that one could make modifications in them. I never pursued this as I was
leaving London the next day. The did have models that met my individual
requirements: shortish rise and not too much fabric in the seat.

So it was really interesting, I popped in today and found out exactly 1 of their 14 styles of RTW trousers fit me. I went around to a few other shops as well, but most only have one type of house cut (none of them fit), so the AS RTW is definitely an anomaly in their range of styles. Unfortunately I am likely doomed to bespoke and the corresponding prices...

For the RTW at AS, they can make them for you in any fabric at the exact same price as the retail(!) which seems to be about 550 or so. However, what's a bit weird about this is that no details themselves can be customized. The one style that fit me came with a gurkha waistband, which is completely unchangeable. So while I can get a few pairs of gurkhas I still prefer belt loops and some side adjusters so this dampened it a bit for me. Just an FYI - hopes this information helps anyone else.

The fit for someone with pretty big thighs and shorter, squat legs (style 6, only one that worked):

9F0D368A-7650-48CD-825D-16CA5552DDCF.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads