• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef All Stars

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The oyster amuse bouche and the adjustment on the foie gras dessert could have been something Mike could've had gripes with, but it was clever gamesmanship for Blaise; don't hate the playa hate the game. I think Blaise would've had to be put on suicide watch if he had lost... perhaps that factored into the judging
laugh.gif
They made the right choice though, I think. Many restaurants can do very good, refined "comfort" rustic food, but that extra creativity that Blaise has puts his apart from the rest... or as he calls it, his "whimsy".
Good finale.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think he's done 4 restaurants, but he owns one now. some burger joint. he talks about it on the show sometimes

edit: damnit chicagoron. i hate you
frown.gif

His restaurant BLAIS closed a little while back. He currently own Flip Burger Boutique of which there are three in Atlanta. That makes four.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great finale. Isabella wanted to win while Blais needed to win. I'm sure Mike is disappointed, but he's going to be alright. After seeing what he put together, I (and many, many DC diners) am looking forward to trying out Graffiato.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked how Collichio said that Mike's fish was cooked the best of any he's tasted on the show... until he had Richards an hour later. Spoke to the caliber of the meals. Both these dudes are going to do just fine.
Did anyone watch the live follow-up after the show? Harold from the first season got fat as ****. Although he seems to have done pretty well for himself.
harold-dieterle-240.jpg

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Great finale. Isabella wanted to win while Blais needed to win. I'm sure Mike is disappointed, but he's going to be alright. After seeing what he put together, I (and many, many DC diners) am looking forward to trying out Graffiato.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to going there once it opens.

By the end, I actually almost wanted Mike to win, even though I had been rooting for Richard prior to that. I was just very impressed by how much growth he demonstrated, and how far his cooking had come since season 6. The dude has upped his game dramatically.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i kind of liked that both contestants really respected each other, that each really brought A game, that neither had stupid f&ck-ups that cost the contest ... two really good cooks and it could have gone either way. i think in the end it was gail's comment that summed up the decision: that mike's would be a restaurant you'd want to eat at every day, while blais' was a restaurant you'd eat at on the weekend. just a little more special.
also liked the keller homage from blais -- his own spin on oysters and pearls.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing the foie ice cream mid service was brilliant and might have won it for Balis imo. He really got awesome sous chefs though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i think isabella is a good chef who is getting better at playing the TC game. Blaise is probably a better technician, but I'm not sure he's wrapping his head around the game as well. I have eaten isabella's food at Zaytina and there was really terrific flavor. Blaise is a keller-ite ... very serious, ultra-capable, very pure ... it'll be interesting to see. will it go to a stephanie, or will it go to a voltaggio?

Zaytina is good but it is louder than the JFK tarmac. Un-effing-bearable. I think Atlantico is better.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Atlantico or Minibar?

Pepperoni sauce sounds delicious, but it also sounds like the sort of thing Papa John's will soon be including with every order of breadsticks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
^Atlantico or Minibar?
I like them both actually, though Minibar is a once every five years kind of place. Wierd.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate to say, but i haven't eaten at atlantico. i did like minibar, once i got over the initial shock (this was years ago). his place in la is, i think, brilliant. had a really memorable meal there.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Zaytina is good but it is louder than the JFK tarmac. Un-effing-bearable. I think Atlantico is better.
Zaytinya is a place you go on a second date or with a group of people. Atlantico is a place you go with a significant other.

I'm partial to Jaleo, myself.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahahahaha Fabio's blog recap:

Richard pick Angelo ( and trust me knowing what Angelo did the night before im not sure is a good deal )

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zaytinya, Cafe Atlantico, and Minibar are reflections of Jose Andres not Mike Isabella. He certainly learned a lot from him, but they aren't -- and weren't -- Mike's restaurants. I should also note that in the time Mike left Zaytinya he cooked with Bryan Voltaggio and Jen Carroll to get ready for this challenge as well as at the Source with Scott Drewno and the Blue Duck Tavern with Brian McBride. I believe all of that had a strong impact on his growth and vision and on his performance this season. It also has helped shaped both the concept and specific menu for Graffiato. By the way, I was by the Graffiato site location last night and they finally seem to be making good progress on the construction. Mike says he is now looking for a firm May opening date. Of course, he may have Richard as a neighbor here in DC. While Richard's plans for a DC branch of his Flip Burger Boutique fell through last year when he lost his preferred location not far from where Graffiato will be, I understand he has a new site for which he's now negotiating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads