• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOO MUCH PROTEiN???

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Do you really need to be cutting if you only have 150 lbs of LBM? Are you 5'3"?
I am 5'6, 150 "lean" was good for me at that point.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
Post some pics.

I'm inclined to believe him. 202 isn't huge, and if he has the genes for it (playing college ball, he probably has something), getting into that kind of shape is probably normal.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kinda weight were you playing college ball at? What kind of lifting were you doing during training?

flyjordan

Reaction score
I was at 210 when i played 3 years ago. We were lifting 6 days a week, lots and lots of legs. My upper hasn't changed much since, but my legs seem tiny right now...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyjordan
I was at 210 when i played 3 years ago. We were lifting 6 days a week, lots and lots of legs. My upper hasn't changed much since, but my legs seem tiny right now...
Anyways, to answer your question, I would design a 40:40:20 diet with about 5-6 meals with no carbs after 7 PM and lift heavy, focusing on compound exercises. I wouldn't do cardio at all unless you enjoy doing it. If you were < 10% bf even before your diet, it sounds like it might not be particularly easy for you to gain muscle, so you might want to be at least 500-1000 calories in excess. Whole grains are a good thing as well.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm all ears.
As I was saying, you have to be working out 2x a week in order to maintain 180 lbs at whatever % lean body mass, and when you are working out that will of course burn more calories depending on how vigorously you are weight lifting. However, lets say by magic, you are able to maintain your muscle mass of +10 lbs from 170 without exercising at all, Buddha himself springs up from the ground and blesses you with 10 extra pounds of muscle which is yours forever without needing to work out to maintain. This extra 10 lbs of magic muscle on a sedentary day will only require that you eat 60 more kcal than you were at 170 lbs. What part of this (magic buddha and muscle excluded) do you not believe?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Like drizz said, 13 lbs is a lot. If you want to gain it back, I'd move the solid meal to 8 am and add about 4 more eggs along with some oatmeal and fruit. Your first meal should be the biggest solid meal of the day. In general, you'll need more food than that to gain that much weight, and you should probably replace some of the supplement (the bar and shakes) with whole foods. Eat meals containing protein+carbs or protein+fat to stay lean.

Each meal probably should have at least a little of both carbohydrates and fats, as well as a good amount of protein of course.

Also, some people don't like preparing meals first thing in the morning or might even have trouble digesting food soon after waking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads