• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOO MUCH PROTEiN???

flyjordan

Reaction score
I have recently heard from my trainer that on lifting days I need to consume 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. I weigh 200lbs, so on lifting days I should be taking in 300 grams of protein? Is this excessive?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It's a lot, but you weigh a lot. Over 1.5, it's fairly ineffective, and if you go too much higher, there is the possibility of toxicity, but it shouldn't be an issue. 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight is standard and necessary.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyjordan
I have recently heard from my trainer that on lifting days I need to consume 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. I weigh 200lbs, so on lifting days I should be taking in 300 grams of protein? Is this excessive?

Protein intake should not change from lifting to non-lifting days. Your intake seems fine.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
No. It's a lot, but you weigh a lot. Over 1.5, it's fairly ineffective, and if you go too much higher, there is the possibility of toxicity, but it shouldn't be an issue. 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight is standard and necessary.

have you ever done that? I am curious, I just read an article about it, but don't know anybody who consumes that much protien.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consumed to toxicity or consumed that much protein? Definitely no to the former, but I am currently doing the latter (whey helps a lot, and it's cheap, even for the better stuff from ON).

kakaroach

Reaction score
Is this intake supposed to be taken at a single time? Or spaced through out the day? I don't know how much grams of protein I put into my milk..but after 1 1/2 scoops it gets really grainy and hard to swallow..I'i supposed to take 231

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consumed to toxicity or consumed that much protein? Definitely no to the former, but I am currently doing the latter (whey helps a lot, and it's cheap, even for the better stuff from ON).

no, consumed 1.5 grams per pound? if so, how were the results?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't make much of a direct difference, but if you're training, it's necessary for muscle repair and growth. Without it, recovery times will be noticeably longer and muscles grow very slowly. Protein is just a necessary part of your diet, and it's not going to have direct effects like other supplements (creatine, steroids, whatever, which I have not tried; may consider some form of creatine at some point, but not for quite a while).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really doesn't make much of a direct difference, but if you're training, it's necessary for muscle repair and growth. Without it, recovery times will be noticeably longer and muscles grow very slowly. Protein is just a necessary part of your diet, and it's not going to have direct effects like other supplements (creatine, steroids, whatever, which I have not tried; may consider some form of creatine at some point, but not for quite a while).

well, for years the accepted ratio was 1 gram - and some people considered that high. there is a point where you have too much protien - I was just wondering if you had experience at 1.5 grams as opposed to 1 gram, and how it compares?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
have you ever done that? I am curious, I just read an article about it, but don't know anybody who consumes that much protien.

A lot of the people on here probably consume that much. I consume anywhere between 1-1.5 times my weight (in pounds) in grams of protein every day. Like Arethusa said, whey protein helps a bit (I probably get at least 50 grams of protein a day from whey protein, sometimes more), but mostly if you focus on eating meat with every meal, it's not too hard to get there. Especially if you're eating somewhere between five and seven meals a day, like most people recommend for those who are weight training/etc.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
A lot of the people on here probably consume that much. I consume anywhere between 1-1.5 times my weight (in pounds) in grams of protein every day. Like Arethusa said, whey protein helps a bit (I probably get at least 50 grams of protein a day from whey protein, sometimes more), but mostly if you focus on eating meat with every meal, it's not too hard to get there. Especially if you're eating somewhere between five and seven meals a day, like most people recommend for those who are weight training/etc.

fair enough, thanks

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't think anybody mentioned it, but dietary protein is also good because approximately 20% of your calories from protein are used to convert the protein to carbohydrates, therefore you're not taking in as many calories as you think you are. High protein/satiety diets are thus a great way to facilitate weight loss while training.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
fair enough, thanks

FWIW, I vaguely remember reading something that said that as long as you're getting about a gram/pound, you're pretty much doing fine, and that more isn't going to make a huge difference in your results. That's why I don't worry too much about the exact ratio--I just shoot for >1g/lb.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also average between 1-1.5g/lb per day which is somewhat over 300g currently. I normally take ~60g protein shakes in the morning and evening and after my lifting and my normal meals do the rest. I'm currently cutting (yes I know its bulking season but we don't have seasons in CA, remember?) and in deficit by about 7-800 kcal/day (ignoring thermogenic effect) which seems to be pretty effective.

flyjordan

Reaction score
I have heard on non-lifting days 1 gram, and lifting days 1.5 grams. I live in boulder, CO which is pretty health conscious so I assume that this is a safe bet? I dont eat as much on non-lift days, so I dont need as much protein right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads