• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Suit - Filleted and Gutted

EzraPaul

Reaction score
Some of you will remember that I have been opening up various suit jackets to show how they are constructed:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/529850/deconstructed-z-zegna-suit

http://www.styleforum.net/t/529254/i-gutted-a-500-suit-jacket-to-see-how-its-constructed

I finally got around to deconstructing a ~$4000 Tom Ford that I picked up for $50 (it had a cut in the back). Hope you enjoy it!

Exterior Details

There’s a lot of handwork and nice details in the construction of the jacket:

• The collar is self-faced with the same fabric, as opposed to using melton/felt, which is standard. They folded over a piece of fabric from the front of the collar to the back, called "collo a bastone" in Italian, which is generally used so that the edge of the felt isn't seen when the collar is folded down. In this case, it doesn't really serve much function since the inside and outside of the collar already match.

• There's pick stitching on nearly all of the seams which traditionally denotes high quality and is presumably vestigial to how jackets used to be joined. Today, it’s solely for aesthetic reasons, and though it looks hand-done, it’s almost always made with a special stitching machine called an AMF, which is roughly the price of an entry level mid-size sedan. The tell-tale sign of hand vs. machine stitching is the uniformity, particularly on the backside (see above image) and in this case it is definitely machine made. This really doesn't make much difference to me and is true of the vast majority of garments, regardless of quality (both the $500 and $1,500 suits from previous posts had AMF pick stitching). My one gripe here would be that there is too much pick stitching - it is on nearly every seam and can look a little flashy when overdone, but that's just my opinion.

• The sleeves have five buttons instead of the more common four and do not have accompanying buttonholes, real or fake. There are no signs of removed faux-buttonholes or of altered sleeves. Perhaps Tom Ford assumes that anyone purchasing a $4,000 will pay the several hundred dollars to have buttonholes cut at the correct position. However, when that’s the case, it’s normally done by prepping the sleeves and leaving the buttons off entirely. It’s also possible that the sleeves were prepped and the buttons were added aftermarket without buttonholes, which is a real shame at this price point.

• The lapel buttonhole, also a vestigial feature nowadays, used for a boutonniere if at all, is beautifully done (see picture below). This is referred to as a Milanese buttonhole and is handmade by attaching a thin piece of gimp (stiff thread) in the shape of the buttonhole and then wrapping it perpendicularly with silk thread. It serves no real function, but is one of the fancy details that is meant to show a jacket’s pedigree.

Construction

Tom Ford wouldn't have stayed in business long if he was charging $4,000+ for suits that weren't fully canvassed, so there was no shock there:

In addition to being fully canvassed, there are several upgraded construction methods not seen in the Jos. A. Bank or Z Zegna. I superimposed the guts over the jacket and colored it blue to make it easier to discern:

Here's some key differences between the Tom Ford and the others:

• Fused vs. floating canvas - The Z Zegna and Jos. A. Bank suits were entirely fused across the chest and lapel vs. a full floating canvas for the Tom Ford.

• Pad-stitched lapel -The lapel is pad-stitched (herringbone pattern) to the fabric by machine. Unlike the body of a jacket, the lapel shouldn't float and the pad stitch keeps it in place. This can also be done by hand, which is time consuming. The other jackets had no stitching since the lapel was entirely fused.

• Lapel fusing - Surprisingly, there is a little bit of fusing at the tip of the peak lapel. It is placed over the pad stitch and is presumably there to add a little extra heft. It's a small piece, so it isn't probably too much of an issue, but there is the possibility of delamination, however slight.

• Roll line tape - Adding roll line tape along the break of the lapel is a small but important detail. This extra strip of material helps the lapel find its natural roll and keeps it from looking flat. The Jos. A. Bank suit had tape here, but the Z Zegna did not. I am not sure how much of a difference it would really make on a fused lapel anyway, since they are much more flimsy.

• Taped seams - Additionally, all of the outside seams are taped (thin strip of fabric), which reinforces the edges, making them cleaner and sturdier. The cheaper jackets did not use tape.

• Hand sewn armhole -The armhole is hand sewn, which is very important in order to accurately attach the body to the sleeve. It's hard to properly attach two pieces of fabric in a circle by machine. Both of the other jackets had machine sewn armholes.

• Shoulder padding - There is a good amount of shoulder padding and it is stepped down nicely to create a clean look. There is also some light padding (not pictured) that runs from the sleevehead down the sleeve an inch or two that helps create a clean transition.

Almost everything was about as expected with the Tom Ford jacket. At $4,000 a hand pad stitched lapel would not have been out of the question, and the sleeve buttonholes are a bit of a mystery. However, there was one quite unexpected detail - the collar was entirely fused:

The little dots on the fused part are glue spots that I pulled apart from the fabric. I was a surprised by this and went back to see how the others were constructed. The Z Zegna was also fused, but the Jos. A. Bank was stitched. So why would a $500 suit be stitched and a $4,000 suit be fused? The fusing was much thicker and stiffer than usual, so clearly it was there to add substance and heft to the collar. I remembered that the collar was self-faced rather than using the standard melton felt as discussed above. Ironically, this seemingly fancy detail required the use of a heavier than usual material inside the collar to accommodate the missing felt. It seems that a thick material could still have been stitched to the collar, rather than fused, but maybe they were afraid the blind stitching would be visible.

All in all, the Tom Ford suit was superior in almost every way to the $500 Jos. A. Bank and the $1,500 Z Zegna and really is a nice garment.

Gatsbyu

Reaction score
Interesting, any pic of the armhole ? Can't believe any RTW jacket done by hand.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard 12.

Thank you for taking the time not only in taking apart the suits so meticulously, but for describing the intricacies in detail and creating great looking info graphics.

I look forward to seeing the next 11... ;)

starro

Reaction score
The point on a lot of consumers' minds is, Who's a maker that makes a suit with absolutely ZERO fusible? What this deconstruction drives home is that fully canvassed =/= no fusing.

Last edited:

grahamBrowne

Reaction score
Some things to take note of here, lots of people use fusing on the top of the point it creates neatness and firmness when your creating a narrow point
I've no idea why people always mention the fusing it serves a purpose if you have a super light weight and a peak lapel it can create distortion if it doesn't have it

Think back 100 years and all the cloths were 14-16 oz even thicker nowadays they are 8oz you need some fusing now and again to Add body to sresss areas like the position of the pocket and the jacket point

I know personally put a lot of shaping and stretching in which takes time and effort the cloth they use is made just for them and it's very high quality, they developed special tooling for certain mass produced things which again takes time and money
It's a very high quality garment
The alterations are thrown in free of charge and loads of other things such as time frame some people don't want to wait and prefer a big name brand
The average Tom ford customer (he has a LOT) isn't bothered about 4000
Crazy I know

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members