• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOFANI BESPOKE TAILOR NAPOLI

AlexRamius

Reaction score
My double breasted suit is ready! Really love that lapel!

22782255_1779333885692818_961527732_n.jpg

AlexRamius

Reaction score
The double breasted suit is finally here, and damn, it was worth the wait.

_MG_2512.JPG
_MG_2519.JPG

512910image780.jpg

dan'l

Reaction score
Should be P&H Glenroyal 44534. I also have a SC made in that cloth and I really like it.

EliasA

Reaction score
Dear all,

Having been a client of the Tofani's since May 2015, it is about time that I write this review.

After researching this forum and other sources extensively in the beginning of 2015 in search of my ideal Neapolitan tailor, I came across an article in the NYT about Neapolitan tailors, which focussed on Kiton, Rubinacci and a less familiarly name: Tofani. The portrayed picture of the Tofani's corresponded perfectly with what I was looking for in a tailor, namely very personal and truly dedicated to the exceptional craft of bespoke tailoring. In the NYT article of April 2014 Davide mentioned that he hopes he can pass on his art to his son, Aristide. When I read the article nearly a year later and looked up the Tofani's on Facebook exactly that seemed to have happened - Aristide was pictured working in the sartoria in his grey Prince of Wales trousers, which were the perfect mix of classic timelessness, which bespoke is all about, combined with the youthfulness that I desired. Clearly, I had found my tailor, especially with Aristide being the same age as me.

Meeting the Tofani's, after making an appointment with Aristide over email a few days earlier, couldn't have been a greater pleasure. As has been pointed out by many others, Davide, Enea and Aristide are extremely kind and generous people. Davide, who is always smiling and joking (which Aristide, if he deems it funny enough, translates into English for me), makes the jackets, whilst his brother, Enea, who about a year ago moved to Amalfi with his wife, makes the trousers (I believe he still is in the sartoria a few days each week). Aristide, is the apprentice and has helped Sartoria Tofani cater towards international clients, because of his fluent English, active engagement on social media and immediate responses to requests. Three years and a significant influx of international bespoke aficionado's later, they seem as cheerful and dedicated to their service as ever; continuing to respond instantaneous to messages, keeping you up-to-date with pictures of your suit, asking continuous feedback on finalised products in order to improve on the slightest details for your next suit, and remaining able to slot in fittings on very short trips.

Now besides this unparalleled service, they deliver the finest quality bespoke pieces. Three years later I still love to wear my first trousers made of a similar Prince of Wales cloth as the one that Aristide wore. Although, I thought at the time that there was very little chance of ever outdoing these first trousers, the Tofani's found a way to constantly increase the fit, comfort and aesthetics on each new pair that we made, due to the feedback they asked me and of course because of the trained eyes of Davide, Enea and Aristide. This winter my first suit was finished. Choosing a classic navy blue Fox Flannel (13/14oz), for its comfort, multifunctionality (works great as a sport coat, due to the less formal appearance of a woollen flannel as opposed to a worsted suit and the soft construction of a Tofani/Neapolitan jacket), and living in Northern-Europe means we don't quite have the luxury of the Mediterranean climate, however we do have the luxury of bracing ourselves with flannel. About the construction itself, the Tofani's cut a truly Neapolitan suit, that is to say no (or very little) shoulder padding, a 'spalla camicia' or the Tofani shoulder ('con rollino'), a very soft chest, with equally soft lapels which posses a wonderful 'lapel roll', darts running to the end of the jacket, high armholes, and (nearly) everything is hand stitched, including the canvas. This all translates into a level of comfort combined with aesthetics which I couldn't have imagined. It is as Luca Rubinacci puts it, in his distinctive English paired with the enthusiasm of the Italian language: 'Very big from the inside, whilst being very slim from the outside'. This really is the essence of the suit, it looks very slim, even though it has enough room to incorporate a heavy cashmere cardigan underneath it. Both with and without the cardigan underneath it line of the cut remains equally slim, whilst appearing to be as 'tight' on the waist as it can be without seeing the drag (or infamous 'X') on the middle button when closed. Truly, it appears to be some sort of magic, but it is all due to the cut and construction of the suit. Overall, the fit and balance of the suit make me appear leaner, taller and - yes - more handsome. Finally, the Tofani's have a very distinctive preference in the style of their suits, but are very open to making adjustments to their 'house cut', for instance the positioning of the middle button, the height of the gorge (and its width and style), etc. They will give you the benefit of their experienced opinion, without being closed off to your personal preferences.

All in all, I am very proud to be able the call myself a client and friend of the Tofani's, and intend on continuing to do so for the coming years!

Tofani.JPG

A picture during the very first fitting of the trousers, a rather memorable day.

IMG_9199.JPG

The second fitting of my suit (with my first Tofani trousers).

IMG_9788.JPG

Aristide doing a final check (the cleanness of the shoulder, back and collar are well shown in this picture).

IMG_9779.JPG

Davide checking the back.

IMG_9784.JPG

Up close details of the W.Bill herringbone tweed trousers.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We now consistently hit 30 degrees so I've taken my summer wardrobe out of storage. The vast majority of my summer suits and jackets are from Sartoria Tofani and I am very, very pleased with them. I think that they are criminally overlooked on this forum. I will post a picture every week or so for a little while showing their work on different commissions. Here is the first. It is made of JJ minnis grey fresco.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in Vegas last week so did not have a chance to post. But this is how Tofani does an American classic: seersucker.

AlexRamius

Reaction score
Tofani's work looks great. Does anyone know if he visits London? Thanks!

From what I know, they don't do trunkshows at the moment, but they might start at the end of the year on a limited basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads