• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
+1. In Oklahoma, not many guys can differentiate between business or casual wear. These guys think a polo shirt with blazer and jeans is business wear. Sometimes I just get so irritated by that. Another I noticed in Oklahoma, though I don't know if it's anywhere else, is that some guys like to wear a black shirt and pair of black pants with white or bright red tie. Pretty disappointing.

Wumingde,

I'm also in the OKCity (thunder upppp), what our fellow men wear can be pretty awful. From being ridiculously ill-fitting, to outright tasteless, it's pretty rough. I'm sure it happens in every city/state, but I tend to believe our population is further setback than others.

jt10000

Reaction score
Very much the same with me, I've never had an occupation that required a suit. Kept one for job interviews and my sister's wedding, I think that was it. I've often worn tailored jackets and blazers though. TBH the only time I see a suits been worn around these parts is during Spring Festival(usually shiny ones) of if people work in a bank(staff issue suits).

The only thing I don't like about suits is dry cleaning costs. Oh, and that with my body it's hard to find reasonably-priced dress shirts that are not too loose around the body but are fit my neck right to wear a tie.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The only thing I don't like about suits is dry cleaning costs. Oh, and that with my body it's hard to find reasonably-priced dress shirts that are not too loose around the body but are fit my neck right to wear a tie. 

you are dry cleaning your suits way too often. get custom made shirts, they can be had relatively cheaply. or just get darts put in your rtw shirts.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. In Oklahoma, not many guys can differentiate between business or casual wear. These guys think a polo shirt with blazer and jeans is business wear. Pretty disappointing.

At least they wear blazers...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wumingde,

I'm also in the OKCity (thunder upppp), what our fellow men wear can be pretty awful. From being ridiculously ill-fitting, to outright tasteless, it's pretty rough. I'm sure it happens in every city/state, but I tend to believe our population is further setback than others.

I tend to think that, somehow, that is linked to the overall "I don't care" attitude that's so prevalent in our society.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read this one for the first time the other day. A few personal observations:

I quite like an open-neck shirt with a summer suit with obvious casual styling. I think it gives a dashing, insouciant look.

I don't like an open-neck shirt with a conservative business suit. It kind of says, "Doofus who took off his tie for Happy Hour." However, I do prefer the latter look to wearing a suit or odd jacket with the collar unbuttoned and the necktie pulled down, which I positively loathe.

I note that lots of politicians these days, even up to the level of the presidential candidates, affect the open-neck shirt with jacket or suit when on the campaign trail. I guess the suit is supposed to confer gravitas while the open-necked collar is supposed to convey that the wearer is a man of the people, a "reg'lar guy" at heart. In the past, it was not uncommon for politicians to be photographed with rolled-up shirtsleeves, collar unbuttoned, necktie loosened, which I presume conveyed their eagerness to "get on with the job"--what "the job" was supposed to be!

For whatever reason, I don't like an ascot (day cravat) with a casual suit, but I do think it upgrades a sport coat or a coatless ensemble, but I know this is controversial.

I have some sympathy for the view expressed in this thread that the typical dark, smooth worsted business suit is inherently kind of boring, although a good tie and pocket square can spiff it up considerably.

I don't know if I would say that a decent shirt with worsted dress slacks is an inherently "bad" look, but it is a combination I very rarely wear, usually only in extreme heat, and I prefer dressy cotton slacks in that role then.

Just my $.02, and that's about all this is worth!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, what a lot of people don't get about Manton is that you don't see him and think "what a sepctacular outfit". you see him and your first impression is "ok, that looks neat" and then you see that everything fits and looks good for the occasion. in SF he was wearing a minor variation (improvement) of what a lot of men wear for business casual - but it all fit well, seemed to be of good quality and looked comfortable and neat.

Neat, appropriate and unassuming? Takes care in dress yet does not draw any attention?

cosmic

Reaction score
What's the minimum acceptable standard for Business Casual then? Sports jacket, flannels or chinos, dress shirt, dress shoes? I don't think a tie is mandatory for business casual, but I do think dress shirt and dress shoes are. Other things I'd avoid: shirt and tie with no jacket; crappy shoes; short-sleeved shirts; double-cuff shirts without suits.

FillW

Reaction score
+1. In Oklahoma, not many guys can differentiate between business or casual wear. These guys think a polo shirt with blazer and jeans is business wear. Sometimes I just get so irritated by that. Another I noticed in Oklahoma, though I don't know if it's anywhere else, is that some guys like to wear a black shirt and pair of black pants with white or bright red tie. Pretty disappointing.

Polo shirt with blazer? NCIS/Jethro Gibbs influence.

Yeah, a guy who works here thought he was dressing up to give interviews and wore black shirt/pants and red tie. lol

On top of that he's very overweight.

Gorecki

Reaction score
i love to look into these thread. it sends me back to the 50's life portrayed in Mad Men.... it's like a time machine...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the minimum acceptable standard for Business Casual then? Sports jacket, flannels or chinos, dress shirt, dress shoes? I don't think a tie is mandatory for business casual, but I do think dress shirt and dress shoes are. Other things I'd avoid: shirt and tie with no jacket; crappy shoes; short-sleeved shirts; double-cuff shirts without suits. 

"Mininum acceptable standard for Business Casual" - probably as described above, except that a solid-colored polo shirt or solid-colored lightweight, smooth sweater will be okay in most environments. However, on many people, solid-colored polo shirts do not look good. Also, corduroys will be okay in cooler weather, but they do not easily go with some items.

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this one on election day:

Suit jacket, two sizes too big, black. Giant flag button on the lapel.

Romey TEE SHIRT under the suit jacket. No tie of course, but considering he'd already foregone the shirt, I guess that's for the best.

Simple black belt, steel buckle, that can pass I guess. But you know what can't?

GRAY PINSTRIPED PANTS.
baldy[1].gif

Whte socks

Or those horrible rubber-soled, square toed cole haan loafers that everyone seems to own

He was in my classes all day, I was trying so hard not to point and laugh

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Funny no one has mentioned the most annoying of comments when wearing a sport coat, "Nice suit." Aaaarghhhh! Just because you wear a blazer or sport coat, or even an unstructured jacket that has some form of lapel, people call it a "suit". Jeebus.
The worst offenders aren't men though. At least the sad sack business casual look is fairly consistent. But women generally don't know what they're doing and I'm tired of seeing "matching" = "cute style" LAME. Just because red and red are the same color doesn't mean you need to wear all red ffs.
It's such an egregious failure that I must continue my regrettable trend of using necromancy on threads I like. I have a grey-and-charcoal plaid jacket and some slightly lighter gray pants I frequently wear together, It's obvious that they're not intended to approximate a suit; the shades are off, and again the jacket is patterned and the pants are not.

Every damn day: "Nice suit."

The kicker? I get the exact same compliments from the exact same people when I wear my blue trousers with the jacket, too.
shog[1].gif

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most tend to go lazy with a business casual look and often settle for khakis and shirts. Instead of a better choice like a wool or other blended trousers.
I cannot abide khakis. I know they're perfectly acceptable for some situations, but I will never own khaki pants. I may one day buy a khaki-colored wool suit, but I have never seen an outfit with khaki cotton trousers that I liked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads