• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Denim

Reaction score
Unbranded skinnys
Iron heart vest
Scotch&Soda
JD Fisk

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

people aren't being rude to you, we're just tired of you posting 50 different outfits that are virtually identical (and mediocre) and then ignoring almost all the justified criticism you receive because 'it's just my personal style' or some bullshit. we are not here to spend hours holding your hand and saying 'gee, perhaps maybe you should do this..!'

tegs, if you will not even acknowledge that sometimes people are rude, and even act like assholes, with their commentary, you are blind.

i am not saying that you are rude, and i am not saying that some peoples frustration with E is unwarranted. what i am saying is, that some people act like assholes on here. to deny that, is foolish and dishonest.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Actually WAYWT is for daily posts of your outfit except we gradually became such assholes about it that people now post their "best" outfits as if they wear on the daily. Actually some people even post outfits that are actually a result of playing dress up to solicit critiques/thumbs.

I don't know what's going on anymore but if this is true it's horribly depressing. I regularly wear everything I post and I share in hopes of some discussion which never ensues maybe my tastes are too divergent but hey at least I got manual focusing down quite well. Instead, it's just bunch of people cussing me out for no reason (just like that face book filled with thumbs which I don't care for either) ...

There are many little nuances to every culture that make it unique, and sometimes very funny. Perhaps one of the most misunderstood signs in Iran is the "Bilakh". Bilakh, a hand sign showing one thumb up, is made when one is upset and is trying to tell someone to buzz off, or is trying to get back at them. Unfortunately for the Western world, this sign is the equivalent of the "thumbs up" sign and is often misunderstood and mistaken for the wrong thing.

The origins of bilakh are very obscure and quite debatable. Some say it is what people would want you to sit on if they felt anger towards you. What the middle finger in the West does for telling the person to "f. this" then has a very similar meaning which is "sit on this thumb" (ouch!) and think about that for a while. It is thought that the origins of it also stem from practical jokes where people would place sharp or phalic objects on seats to have people sit on them by mistake and poke fun at the person. In Iran, a bilakh is "given" typically when:

1. One is upset at someone and needs to tell them to "stick it where the sun don't shine"

2. One is trying to prove a point or to get back at someone in the sense of "I told you so". Here the thumb is considered to be handed to them in their lap as a sign of defeat. This is the adult version of sticking your tongue out, which Iranians do all the time.

Word of caution: the bilakh is considered a very very rude gesture. The equivalent of the "thumbs up" then would be a victory sign, holding one hand up and making the V sign with it.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to post more as my style changed somewhat drastically week to week, but as my look began to coalesce more, I laid off a bit. Now I only really post a fit I feel is pushing the boundaries for me personally or one that just looks damn good. Or I guess if I want to showcase a cool new RP, usually outerwear.

Maybe there should be a strict n00b WAYWT thread that's strictly for advice for newcomers?

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to post more as my style changed somewhat drastically week to week, but as my look began to coalesce more, I laid off a bit. Now I only really post a fit I feel is pushing the boundaries for me personally or one that just looks damn good. Or I guess if I want to showcase a cool new RP, usually outerwear.

Maybe there should be a strict n00b WAYWT thread that's strictly for advice for newcomers?

Eh, would that really do any good? How many people would actually go in there? I know I probably wouldn't to be honest.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unbranded skinnys
Iron heart vest
Scotch&Soda
JD Fisk

This is awful.

EDIT: Let me be more constructive rather than purely negative. Without the (too-small) vest, it would a hundred times better. Don't like the heavy fading on the jeans, personally, and the shoes are a bit sleek for denim. And the shirt—which looks like chambray?—feels a little too close texture-wise to the jeans (denim-on-denim is hard to pull off), but it's not awful.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eh, would that really do any good? How many people would actually go in there? I know I probably wouldn't to be honest.

Nor would I (well maybe once and a while), but I'm guessing there would be at least a few altruistic senior posters who would give regular, steady advice. At least it'd clear up this thread a bit and increase the concentration of good fits (if only marginally)

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that idea has been discussed at least once a year since my join date.

I believe there was even a thread started once.

In the end, scrolling is not that hard, and we have the Best Of thread if we just wanna see good fits anyway.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know what's going on anymore but if this is true it's horribly depressing. I regularly wear everything I post and I share in hopes of some discussion which never ensues maybe my tastes are too divergent but hey at least I got manual focusing down quite well. Instead, it's just bunch of people cussing me out for no reason (just like that face book filled with thumbs which I don't care for either) ...
There are many little nuances to every culture that make it unique, and sometimes very funny. Perhaps one of the most misunderstood signs in Iran is the "Bilakh". Bilakh, a hand sign showing one thumb up, is made when one is upset and is trying to tell someone to buzz off, or is trying to get back at them. Unfortunately for the Western world, this sign is the equivalent of the "thumbs up" sign and is often misunderstood and mistaken for the wrong thing.
The origins of bilakh are very obscure and quite debatable. Some say it is what people would want you to sit on if they felt anger towards you. What the middle finger in the West does for telling the person to "f. this" then has a very similar meaning which is "sit on this thumb" (ouch!) and think about that for a while. It is thought that the origins of it also stem from practical jokes where people would place sharp or phalic objects on seats to have people sit on them by mistake and poke fun at the person. In Iran, a bilakh is "given" typically when:

1. One is upset at someone and needs to tell them to "stick it where the sun don't shine"

2. One is trying to prove a point or to get back at someone in the sense of "I told you so". Here the thumb is considered to be handed to them in their lap as a sign of defeat. This is the adult version of sticking your tongue out, which Iranians do all the time.

Word of caution: the bilakh is considered a very very rude gesture. The equivalent of the "thumbs up" then would be a victory sign, holding one hand up and making the V sign with it.

any relation to these shakespearian lines

"Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

I do bite my thumb, sir.

Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

Is the law of our side, if I say ay?

No.

No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir,

but I bite my thumb, sir.
"

that idea has been discussed at least once a year since my join date.

I believe there was even a thread started once.

In the end, scrolling is not that hard, and we have the Best Of thread if we just wanna see good fits anyway.

this. such a thread is suggested all across SF. it would never work, practically. and yes, there have been attempts. and again, yes, scrolling is really not that hard.

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hang on, so this thread should in fact be about daily fits (good or bad), discussion of said fits (per the title), and there is a best of thread for circle jerking?

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made a best of thread once. People told me i was an idiot and that best of us subjective and that the fits i quoted weren't even the best

Still butthurt

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But if there's no discussion, how can they improve?!

People don't need lengthy discussions to improve, they need to figure out whatever the **** they want by looking around and being a bit curious and not imposing on everyone. Criticisms are only useful once people have already developed some kind of idea of what look they're going for, everything before that can be done on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads