• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
right, but a cardigan is a type of sweater, no?

that's why I'm thinking (let's just keep it American, and menswear) that a sweater is a catch-all for any knit top for men (excluding jerseys and knit polos). types of sweaters including crewneck, vneck, turtleneck, cardigan, sweater-vest, even hooded, etc.. can be any type or combination of wools, cotton, linen, etc.

and that sweatshirt implies that it's woven. these come in crewneck and hooded forms that I know of. hooded can be zippered as well.

These are just guesses but it's how it works in my head.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweater=jumper=pullover

cardigan=^but with open front

sweatshirt= a type of jumper that is made of woven cotton/synthetic fleece
^this^
then there are cardigans made out of materials more similar to sweatshirts than sweaters, but those are ugly so I won't acknowledge them

Last edited:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what's going o...

ipbd8gd5p5ehduikmm.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
c4 - agree with your assessment 100%

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

right, but a cardigan is a type of sweater, no?

that's why I'm thinking (let's just keep it American, and menswear) that a sweater is a catch-all for any knit top for men (excluding jerseys and knit polos).  types of sweaters including crewneck, vneck, turtleneck, cardigan, sweater-vest, even hooded, etc..  can be any type or combination of wools, cotton, linen, etc.

and that sweatshirt implies that it's woven.  these come in crewneck and hooded forms that I know of.  hooded can be zippered as well.

These are just guesses but it's how it works in my head.

Hmmm. I guess I have heard the term "Cardigan sweater"

So I guess sweater is the family.

pullover/jumper and cardigans are seperate genii.

and sweatshirt is a species in the pullover/jumper genus.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was very late when I was posting last night, and some of my comments may have been out of line. I've woken this morning and read the past few pages twice to take it all in. There is a lot of good info there and I appreciate it.

It's obvious to me now, what this thread is intended for. I had been taking it literally as WAYWT as the title suggests. However I understand now that this is less about receiving individual daily critique, and more about showcasing your more refined looks based on earlier advice and your own progression. Of course there will be fits which are not to everyone's liking, but so long as it actually fits your body well, and you can pull it off, it will be admired.

And while I do feel like I have been taking in the advice being provided, and shown some degree of implementing this, there are some fits which are still getting the basics very wrong and have not yet been addressed. This in turn causes ongoing frustration and ultimately criticism. I will try to take on the advice being provided where I feel suitable, and participate more in line with what the thread is about.

I'll just finish by saying that it is not criticism which upsets or concerns me, it's the blatant rudeness of some people. That said, this is the internet, it's full of trolls and pricks and it to some extent expected. It's just a hell of a lot nicer around here when people provide great constructive feedback and talk specifics - I guess it's even nicer when people take on that advice.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually WAYWT is for daily posts of your outfit except we gradually became such assholes about it that people now post their "best" outfits as if they wear on the daily. Actually some people even post outfits that are actually a result of playing dress up to solicit critiques/thumbs. The proper thread for that if we are being pedantic is the "Should I/Should I Not" Thread. To me this thread is just a pooled photo gallery for people to share photos of themselves.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
people aren't being rude to you, we're just tired of you posting 50 different outfits that are virtually identical (and mediocre) and then ignoring almost all the justified criticism you receive because 'it's just my personal style' or some bullshit. we are not here to spend hours holding your hand and saying 'gee, perhaps maybe you should do this..!'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads