• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you guys never had a problem or anything breaking when adjusting time and manually winding automatic movements? My friend had an AirKing he had in the safe that he doesn't wear often, he took it out after 8 months of no use and when he was winding it manually the crown stem snapped. Probably an exception than the norm but it just sucks hearing that.

Sometimes it is kind of a pain to adjust every week with the screw down even without any complications or I might just be extra lazy. lol

nofrills, what winders do you have if you don't mind me asking? Wolf? Orbita? Scatola?

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my father-in-law only sets the time when he wears his Rolex Day-Date. It sits in a safe most of the time as he doesn't want to ding it up.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

So you guys never had a problem or anything breaking when adjusting time and manually winding automatic movements? My friend had an AirKing he had in the safe that he doesn't wear often, he took it out after 8 months of no use and when he was winding it manually the crown stem snapped. Probably an exception than the norm but it just sucks hearing that.

Sometimes it is kind of a pain to adjust every week with the screw down even without any complications or I might just be extra lazy. lol

nofrills, what winders do you have if you don't mind me asking? Wolf? Orbita? Scatola?

I never had any issues manually winding any of my watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you guys never had a problem or anything breaking when adjusting time and manually winding automatic movements? My friend had an AirKing he had in the safe that he doesn't wear often, he took it out after 8 months of no use and when he handwound it the crown stem snapped. Probably an exception than the norm but it just sucks hearing that.

I've never heard of a stem snapping off just because a watch hadn't been worn in several months and the person manual wound it. I've done that several times with automatics that sat for several months, manually wound them and no problems. I think your friend was just unlucky.

I don't use winders. I could see myself getting one if I had a perpetual calendar, but short of that I've never wanted/needed one.

If you do get a winder, be certain that your watch/es are very securely placed on the winder. I read a story & saw pix years ago on one of the other watch forums, involving a platinum VC that was damaged, because it came out of its position on the winder and some rotating part of the winder continued to rub against the case and bezel over night, until the owner went to retrieve the watch the next day. Again, probably just an unlucky and isolated incident.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't implying it broke because it wasn't worn, the story was more to say that the watch could break anytime so just wear it, that's exactly what I told him after I heard the story. lol

As you said, just unlucky, very unlucky. It just got me thinking because I do tend to manually wind my watch more than I wish I would since I tend to switch up my watch often. So it also got me curious if anyone had problems with manually winding their automatic watches often or any problems using a winder. Some of those winder prices are crazy though.

I actually get free winders with my watch purchases from two of the ADs I buy from. Wolf Designs cushion has this thing that snaps it into the barrel so they are pretty secure. Wolfs 2.7 is a good winder system, you can set how many tpd from 300-2000 and you can also set it to turn every 12-96 via 6 hours increments iirc, so you can just set it when it is about to lose power and prevent "over-winding" though I think most watches these days can't be over-wound anyways. Still sounds like a good feature though.

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't pay $4K for an ETA 2824 movement.

Would you buy a Tudor of any kind?

Only one that catches my eye is the Heritage Chrono Blue.  I know it is an ETA movement but it is different than the 2824 which is used is watches <$500 to whatever someone wants to charge for their packaging around this very basic movement.

If it came down to purchasing a HCB, I may end up with something else.  

Tudor BB is the first watch that came to mind. Sure, you can get any number of watches <$500 with the 2824 movement, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that's it's generally considered to be a reliable workhorse that's easily serviceable.

To me, $4 000 for a Tudor is no worse than paying the asking price for a basic Sub with its 3135. Could've sworn that I've read that the finishing on Tudor cases/bracelets is on par with Rolex (aesthetics aside, of course). If that's the case, then the diff. in price BB-Sub is due at least in part to 2824 vs in-house 3135. Since the 2824 can be adjusted to COSC specs, dunno if that upcharge is justified. But 2824 vs in-house is a debate I'll leave to others...

Back to $4 000 Tudor vs '$500 to whatever' 2824 watches: I don't think it's really a fair comparison since a lot of those $500 watches are just put together with assorted generic case parts by HK based brands. That's why you often see different microbrands releasing somewhat (if not completely) similar watches, usually cased at the same place, i.e. Fullswing.

I have nothing against $500 microbrand watches. In fact, there are several that I like and consider to be a great value. But admitting that some of those are a great value shouldn't mean that the BB is overpriced for what it is.

chanoch

Reaction score
I'm in the Philly area and Govberg carries them, though I'm not sure if they've gotten any new models. Wempe carries them in NYC.

Thanks, Wempe carries them but is out of stock ... and no display model. Have to try again later. Appreciate the suggestion.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tudor BB is the first watch that came to mind. Sure, you can get any number of watches <$500 with the 2824 movement, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that's it's generally considered to be a reliable workhorse that's easily serviceable.

To me, $4 000 for a Tudor is no worse than paying the asking price for a basic Sub with its 3135. Could've sworn that I've read that the finishing on Tudor cases/bracelets is on par with Rolex (aesthetics aside, of course). If that's the case, then the diff. in price BB-Sub is due at least in part to 2824 vs in-house 3135. Since the 2824 can be adjusted to COSC specs, dunno if that upcharge is justified. But 2824 vs in-house is a debate I'll leave to others...

Back to $4 000 Tudor vs '$500 to whatever' 2824 watches: I don't think it's really a fair comparison since a lot of those $500 watches are just put together with assorted generic case parts by HK based brands. That's why you often see different microbrands releasing somewhat (if not completely) similar watches, usually cased at the same place, i.e. Fullswing.

I have nothing against $500 microbrand watches. In fact, there are several that I like and consider to be a great value. But admitting that some of those are a great value shouldn't mean that the BB is overpriced for what it is.

Agreed. The BB's are fantastic in person and the finishing is top notch. Not to mention they're easily $2700 new and even lower used.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My comment was also related to other styles of Tudor FWIW.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pelagos is a great watch in person, you just can't grasp how matte that watch is. Really wish it was at least the same size as the Sub at 40mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads