• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want a winder but I refuse to pay the prices that companies ask for them. If you guys know of a quality winder that isn't the price of a decent watch by itself, I'd love to know. Don't need any of that burled walnut, gold plated crap either

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he prefers the Hublot on his wrist...

peepwall[1].gif
yeah, sorry, not my thing.
I usually wear my Black Bay or TOG 90% of the time.
The other watches are much less often.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

yeah, sorry, not my thing.
I usually wear my Black Bay or TOG 90% of the time.
The other watches are much less often.

I would be the complete opposite, haha.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lol: I was just teasing the regulars here.

HRoi, what's your budget? Wolf Designs has a 50%-60% off sale like once a year.

Take it for what it's worth but years ago I bought this $30-$40 generic winder and put a cheap automatic in there and it worked well enough for about 5 years? Sometimes I would just leave the watch in there for 6 months straight without touching and it kept it powered up. It isn't the quietest though so I wouldn't recommend it in the bedroom.
dylpar.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly? A couple hundred for like a 6 watch winder. I just can't see how it should cost much more than that, although I'm willing to be enlightened. It's not that I'm not willing to pay a thousand bucks for something that's worth the money, I just feel like I'd be ripped off for such a relatively simple mechanical object

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Honestly? A couple hundred for like a 6 watch winder. I just can't see how it should cost much more than that, although I'm willing to be enlightened. It's not that I'm not willing to pay a thousand bucks for something that's worth the money, I just feel like I'd be ripped off for such a relatively simple mechanical object

...especially when you have two free ones attached to your arms!

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you have a $60K Patek or even a $20K AP, do you want to risk using a $49.99 special?
I would rather know it is a reliable manufacturer of winder.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Winders does seem simple but there are some complicated mechanical work in there. I figure the cheap ones you get at Brookstone that can cost $200-$300 for a dual winder that breaks down within weeks means it isn't as simple to make these machines. And I think almost all Brookstone winder reviews and experience I've read had it failing within months. I don't think any of them survive a year without any problems. Other cheap ones like Diplomat also gets a bad rep of being unreliable. it's just not one of those things that a cheap chinese brand can imitate and make work well. For the most part, you might be better off placing your watch in your drawer or valet than putting in a cheap winder that can mess up your expensive watch.

As Dino said, some winder doesn't hold the watches well. Wolf Winders didn't integrate their locking cuff until a few years ago and heavier watches simply fell off. So there are also little things to consider along with the motor noise, rotation direction and tpd options. Those Wolfs at $250 only turns 650tpd and an option to rotate cw, ccw or bd. I think Orbita is the only one that really has that one unique rotation where it rotates a few turns then lets it go and allows inertia do it's thing and just let the watch swing back and forth imitating a wrist movement than just it going around and around.

Of course to some extent you are just paying for the case decoration and craftsmanship, I've seen plenty of winder that has discernible gaps or peeling liners. If you like displaying your watches, a winder can make a nice presentation case too. There's this German brand Modalo and this 8-watch winder is $750 but it looks pretty good if you don't mind showing off your collection.

Best one to start off without going overly cheap is probably those $250 single watch winder from Orbita.

Stance on winders here doesn't seem hostile like in other watch forums so maybe others can chime in?

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want a winder but I refuse to pay the prices that companies ask for them. If you guys know of a quality winder that isn't the price of a decent watch by itself, I'd love to know. Don't need any of that burled walnut, gold plated crap either

I bought a couple of Accuratic winders this summer and they've served me well so far.

Reviews:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/accuratic-watch-winder-801643.html
http://www.watchfreeks.com/99-revie...uratic-expandable-automatic-watch-winder.html

I wanted to spend the least I could for a basic modular winder that would get the job done. Less money spent on winders = moar money to spend on watches.

Since we're discussing accessories, I also have these:

Casebudi cases (both sizes)
Reg
Small
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/review-casebudi-watch-vault-comparison-oakley-836651.html
http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?264800-CASEBUDi-watch-case-(like-Oakley-watch-vault).html

Pelican 1170 cases for storage (configured for 6 watches). Some Pelican threads on WUS:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pelican-1170-8-watch-case-photos-388221.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pelican-case-configurations-store-g-shocks-869064.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/thrilled-new-pelican-case-201907.html

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have that cassebud case but the one made by Oakley.

I also have that Pelican 1170 on backorder too since I was feeling bored one day and I figure it'll be cool to try it out.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's this German brand Modalo and this 8-watch winder is $750 but it looks pretty good if you don't mind showing off your collection.

This one might be the best priced I've seen so far, if the quality is equivalent to something like Wolf. Maybe my difference of opinion stems from the fact that I do not like to show off watches

Less money spent on winders = moar money to spend on watches.

Bingo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads