• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FedEx tracking is telling me that is still scheduled to be delivered today by 3 pm, but since it just left Newark at 1:56 and will make a stop in Memphis, I'm not holding my breath. :( Looks like tomorrow.

Bad show dear boy. Felling that here. Bare/bear with sore head tomorrow?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches?

Nope! We love all sorts of watches it's just that this week we happen to be on a roll with watches people are buying/receiving and they seem to be on the more expensive side of things.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we will have to agree to disagree. I do think the gold Daytona is a better choice when you weigh all the factors including cost. The better and more important movement (IMO) on the Daytona versus the better design and finish on the RO . If they were close in in price, I think it would be a more interesting question. I totally get the appeal of the AP ( (I am wearing my RO as I type this). However, at 54k v 37k, I find it very hard to justify that kind of difference. If you want to compare them in steel, its 24 v 12k. Again, hard in my view to justify that kind of premium.

Having said all that, if someone is willing to pay that big premium for what the AP offers that the Rolex does not, more power to them. Each to his own..

Enjoyed the discussion.

Respect
Hi Rob,

I too have enjoyed the discussion. I would however add that with respect to pricing, your measure of value is a bit off. First, last I checked the MSRP on all gold Daytona was $40K. Beyond that, with all gold one, I can get a much a larger discount on an all gold AP than on an all gold Rolex. So the price difference is not going to be as great as you suggest...although there will still be a difference. On the steel models, there is no discount on the all steel Daytona from an AD, while I can get a rather substantial discount on a steel AP RO...so the price difference on the steel ones could be more like $5K.

So I don't think the premium is as great as you may think it is. Again enjoyed the discussion.
Dino

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.

If you want to get technical on the BLNR and speak of precious metals, the BLNR has that. The numbers in the bezel are actually thin layers of platinum and the hands are white gold. But I understand what your point
smile.gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks again for your well thought out reply, dino.

i am a long ways from a RO, and i find torture unnecessary, so i wont be trying on any in person at this time. just gathering all the intel i can for now. hopefully someday soon kopping time will arrive.
Stitchy, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we will be seeing pix of a RO that you kopped soon. But the researching and trying on is a lot of fun.

Now, In my eyes that's an amazing watch. I have wanted this watch for years, just haven't found the right one yet.
Thanks. It was my grail watch years ago. It took me 2 years to track down a new from an AD at list price, and that was back in the days when MSRP was less than half of what the MSRP is on a current model. Thanks again and glad you liked my photo of it.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches? 

There was always this thread and the other watch thread. Were those two combined?

Anyway, I haven't posted this here in over a year. 1954 Longines my wife bought me as an anniversary present in 2011.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to get technical on the BLNR and speak of precious metals, the BLNR has that.  The numbers in the bezel are actually thin layers of platinum and the hands are white gold.  But I understand what your point :)

Didn't know that about the BLNR...........****, I bet the majority of the Rolex ADs don't know that either. Where did you get this info from?

for a little more, I'd get the AP SS 154000 in a heartbeat!!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan, I still have the original strap in unworn condition, and I honestly can't say if it's actual croc or just croc-grain...I would have to look. But regardless, I switched it out for a similar pattern (in calf) immediately, and I do this for a lot of my watches. No intentions to sell, but it's nice to keep that OEM strap's virginity intact, just in case.

No need to drag it out to check; from a quick googling it seems like it came on a 'black alligator' strap.

Now, if any of you strap-aholics have suggestions for the kind of brown strap I'm looking for, please share :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitchy, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we will be seeing pix of a RO that you kopped soon.  But the researching and trying on is a lot of fun.

lol soon. maybe if i sell all my watches. and a kidney. as im leaning 15202 right now.

Didn't know that about the BLNR...........****, I bet the majority of the Rolex ADs don't know that either. Where did you get this info from?

i am fairly certain that all the hour markers on all rolex models are gold. i believe the same is true of the hands as well.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its been harsh all over the US, but for you guys up north, where the *bitter* cold and the snow have been especially bad lately....just think warm thoughts, okay?

It seems fitting that for my 1,000th post on SF, I am doing the following:

1. I am replying to Keith's note - an awesome member of our little TWAT community - but specifically, Keith's note that includes a picture of The Princess of TWAT (TP-TWAT).

2. I am devoting a few words in point #2 to Stitchy, that awesome, noble friend of ours who has helped us all in some way or another with his preternatural omnipresence not just at TWAT but around SF in general. Stitchy, who has directly or indirectly given me tons of advice and learning over the last couple of years that I've spent lurking via TWAT (and just this past year when I came out of hiding). Stitchy, who went from 20,000 posts to ~54,000 posts during the time I went from 0 posts to 1,000 posts. Thanks, my man.

When the frigging heck are we gonna meet up, Stitchy my man!

3. I am reposting this shot of my 3970 in yellow gold. I took this pic when I first got this grail piece of mine in no other place than TWAT. I professed undying love for it (I love it more today), and issued statements about how it has completely satisfied my urge for any further timepiece (untrue, since I got her sister in platinum a month or two later - bows head in shame). This is where my desire for fine timepieces was born and nurtured, and I do feel honored that the TWAT banner on the main page of SF uses this very image. BOOM!

Alright. Back to our regular programming. 1,000 posts on SF, mostly via TWAT! Boom!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:inlove:

:embar:

you are too kind, frillster!

also, as it turns out, looks like i will be in NYC with a friend of mine on a monday later this month. text me and lets see if we can meet up!!!

congrats on 1k!!! :slayer:

---

keith - that pic is amazing.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
INORITE, stitchy. ....makes you want to jump into the drifts and start a snowball fight with her.

And thanks also frilly, and congrats on your thousandth post my man.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not sure what you mean by "snowball fight" but depending on your definition, yes that is what it makes me want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads