1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

^ Maybe, but I'd still take it if given to me ;)

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Right on. This is typical JLC practice. Check out the Master Chronograph with the lone 12 o'clock numeral. In most cases, a longer or double baton would be better and less distracting.

3. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Paid a large bill, works fine now[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

JLC offers great value in their perpetual calendars! But I think the Ultra Thin looks even better :satisfied: [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    9 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

6. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Probably old news but needs to be shared again.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  7. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Quote:Watch nuts can be comically picky at times. This is not one of those times. That lone 6 is a real WTF? move. Much more so than a lone 12, IMO. That said - there are details that bug the living heck out of others (date at 4 o-clock for example) but trouble me not at all. I'm sure the fortunate owners of that fine JLC are utterly untroubled by the lone 6.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I never noticed it out until you pointed that out. I can't not look at it now and think wtf.

1 person likes this.
  9. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

How about the 9 and 12 on the rdm?
    [​IMG]

10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

That seems reasonable at least where I am for the normal versions of the 16520 Daytonas (with Zenith based movements). Rarer versions with Patrizzi dials or early versions with dials where the word "Cosmograph" is described as "Floating," its sort of separated from the rest of the wording with a big space...fetch a premium beyond that.

I used one for a daily wearer for 5 years. Great watch, one of my favorites. If you are really tough on watches, I'd maybe get a current model which has a much more rugged bracelet, longer power reserve, and its easier to replace if it gets some bad dings or really scraped up (but that is just my 2 cents...I have both versions and they are great).

If you live in NYC, LA, Miami etc...any Rolex, Omega, Breitling, IWC, are common, and even some ROs and Nautiluses become more common. Leave NYC and only Datejusts, Subs, Seasmasters, and Breitlings are common. Besides, go vintage and chances are your watch would be different than that of your co-workers.

I'd never let the number of people in an area dissuade me from purchasing a great watch. Where I live I never see anyone wearing a RO or Nautilus, but go to LA, or NYC, and I see a bunch of people wearing them. I suppose I'm more apt to see someone wearing the same watch and thinking...they have good taste [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I was at a dinner last week where one guy spotted a Rolex on another. They happened to be the same model - two tone Datejust, I think - and he started going off on how Rolex are the greatest watches in the world, and aren't they great and isn't Rolex just the best. That probably contributes to the image. Funny thing is, I know this guy well and had seen his watch many times and assumed it was fake as it seemed a little light and skimpy looking. It turns out his was from 1966 and he bought it used at Tourneau.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Also bothersome. In my opinion, there should at least be three numbers.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I think that RDM is one of the best asymmetrical dials out there. One of JLCs best, in my opinion. It is very nicely balanced, but in such an unconventional way. A bit polarizing, but oh-so quirky.

The new one, despite retaining some asymmetry, really lacks the charm of the original.

15. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I agree. I like the blatant asymmetry of that RDM.
    But just a 6 or 12 hanging there bugs me.

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

What if they had done 12-4-8?

17. Sweden

Sweden Well-Known Member

What Datejust is the best ever made by Rolex? Pics please! :)

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  19. Sweden

Sweden Well-Known Member

20. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

1600, IIRC.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.