• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 Spot on Nuke.  I love nice shoes and clothing, but they have taken a back seat over the years to watches, for many of the same reasons you have mentioned.  Beyond that, if you tire of a watch or decide its not your taste you can trade it and if purchased smartly they retain good value (and in rare cases they appreciate)...that is never happening with the nicest suit or shoes.  

I too found SF becuase of my interest in clothing. As my goals were to build a classically inspired wardrobe, once I had acquired all of the staple items, I shifted rather abruptly out of acquisition mode and into maintenance mode. I rarely ever shop for clothing these days, as I find I have almost everything I want for. The exceptiong bein SWD items, but I'm in denim maybe 1 day a week, 2 tops, so that's a pretty limited demand. Nowadays,I order 3-4 shirts per year from Hamilton (if Mrs. TC doesn't hook me up for Xmas), maybe pick up one pair of shoes and a handful of ties. That's it. So personal expression is more a matter of accessorizing at this point, and what better way to do that than with watches! Also, with interest rates where they are and a somewhat limted downside to watches when buyhing smart, it's a relatively guiltless enterprise. I just need a way to figure out how to renegotiate this "one for you, one for me" policy with Mrs. TC, that's the thing that's hurting me! :)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
that's the thing that's hurt saving me!
smile.gif
nod[1].gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks! So I will share my very limited (in terms of number of watches
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
) watches. What you will see in here most of the time.
biggrin.gif

This was my first “real” watch. I bought it when I was 16 becuase I was a huge fan of Formula 1 and the McLaren-Mercedez Team. Whenever I saw this watch in the stores my eyes turned into hearts. Still does. It has been with me 10 years and I still love it. I believe that every watch has a very nice story with it and marks a special moment at least in my life.
Thanks for sharing your watches and your story with us. I agree that many watches have great stories behind them and/or mark significant moment's in life. I have one that was a wedding gift, birthday gifts, first real job out of law school, and a belated 10th anniversary etc. Its always nice to be reminded of great memories and achievements when you look at your watches.

My goodness. I would have absolutely lost it if that happened! I have noticed that especially with suits, one bad evening can really take down any suit. Additionally, at least for me, drycleaning and maintenance is an absolute hassle. I have to send my stuff off to Rave Fabricare, and that is just an expense that is not very fun to deal with. Thus, I have found that I enjoy myself more (and hell, do better work) when I am wearing something a bit more disposable.

And I think that your collection is a testament to how great timepieces can look after such a long period of time! Your Daytona is gorgeous.
Hi Nuke, I absolutely wanted to kill the waiter that spilled some thick chowder like soup on the back of my jacket. Sure accidents happen (that sucks), but to not tell me about it when I might have been able to get it out of the fabric...there is no excuse for that. Its sad but if I think there might be messy foods or service issues, many times I don't want to wear my best clothing...just because of things like that. I still love and enjoy good shoes and clothing but watches, are much easier to care for and keep looking great.

I too found SF becuase of my interest in clothing. As my goals were to build a classically inspired wardrobe, once I had acquired all of the staple items, I shifted rather abruptly out of acquisition mode and into maintenance mode. I rarely ever shop for clothing these days, as I find I have almost everything I want for. The exceptiong bein SWD items, but I'm in denim maybe 1 day a week, 2 tops, so that's a pretty limited demand. Nowadays,I order 3-4 shirts per year from Hamilton (if Mrs. TC doesn't hook me up for Xmas), maybe pick up one pair of shoes and a handful of ties. That's it. So personal expression is more a matter of accessorizing at this point, and what better way to do that than with watches! Also, with interest rates where they are and a somewhat limted downside to watches when buyhing smart, it's a relatively guiltless enterprise. I just need a way to figure out how to renegotiate this "one for you, one for me" policy with Mrs. TC, that's the thing that's hurting me!
smile.gif
Same here, mostly at a maintenance and occasional update mode. I don't really need much in terms of clothing these days. Ah...the 1 for you, 1 for me policy can get pricey...but its necessary. Actually, one of my friends always talks about whose "Turn" it is in his household...so the question "Whose turn is it?" has kind of become a running joke with our mutual friends.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Betel, great looking collection and nice to hear the stories behind them.

TC - WHWRE IS YOUR DAMN WATCH ALREADY!!!!!????!?!? (also, nice shirt)

----

regarding clothing v. watches, i would say i have been interested in both since about the age of 12. i got heavily involved in watches long before i developed anything close to such an interest in clothing. that being said, i have a hard time saying that i am more fanatical about one over the other. i have different feelings towards each, and i approach each very differently.

while i am very careful about my clothing, i have never been super heavy about the maintenance. probably about the same as i am with my watches. i make sure they are clean and pretty and in proper working condition, but i never have been the shine my shoes after every wear kind of guy, and i only dry clean stuff as needed.

i think i probably am more in love with my favorite watches than i am with my favorite clothing items, but as far as the day to day is concerned, my interests are pretty much equal with both.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Future Mrs. JB loves new clothes and we usually end up ordering things from Europe or have her parents pick items up when they are over there. Our honeymoon was partially around shopping in the cities we will visit while I thought about my stomach and what good foods are local.

Nuke, thanks for the love. I need a family picture of my BLNR with future Mrs. JB's 31mm fluted bezel, jubilee DJ. She took the BLNR for a test run last week and said it needed a link taken out to better fit the collective "our wrists".

suaviter

Reaction score
I too found SF becuase of my interest in clothing. As my goals were to build a classically inspired wardrobe, once I had acquired all of the staple items, I shifted rather abruptly out of acquisition mode and into maintenance mode. I rarely ever shop for clothing these days, as I find I have almost everything I want for. The exceptiong bein SWD items, but I'm in denim maybe 1 day a week, 2 tops, so that's a pretty limited demand. Nowadays,I order 3-4 shirts per year from Hamilton (if Mrs. TC doesn't hook me up for Xmas), maybe pick up one pair of shoes and a handful of ties. That's it. So personal expression is more a matter of accessorizing at this point, and what better way to do that than with watches! Also, with interest rates where they are and a somewhat limted downside to watches when buyhing smart, it's a relatively guiltless enterprise. I just need a way to figure out how to renegotiate this "one for you, one for me" policy with Mrs. TC, that's the thing that's hurting me!
smile.gif

Stoked to see your newest acquisition when it comes in ....

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Future Mrs. JB loves new clothes and we usually end up ordering things from Europe or have her parents pick items up when they are over there. Our honeymoon was partially around shopping in the cities we will visit while I thought about my stomach and what good foods are local.
JB, our honeymoon was quite similar shopping and food...with some site seeing in between. Mrs. Dino came home with a Channel hand bag, Hermes handbag, Hermes scarves, and Chopard earings. I used a bit more restraint and got a pair of Cartier cufflinks (like the ones Frills just picked up). Ok, I only used some restraint because I was expecting the delivery of a new Daytona when we were returned to the States.
devil.gif

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I like my clothes to feel lived in. I used to freak out over potentially ruining things and worry about wearing items, but I don't really anymore. If I can't feel comfortable wearing it, what's the point. My love of cloth still dominates my love of watches. The articles of clothing that I have that our made from some of my more favorite fabrics make me smile every time I put them on (funny that my tops tend to be fall/winter stuff). Shoes are just shoes to me, which is probably healthy for my wallet. Talking to Nuke in NYC was eye opening, he truly has a love for shoes and it's fascinating to listen to him talk about different makers. I hate my feet, maybe that's why I'm not particularly in to shoes.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I hope I didn't build this up too much. Lol This won't be anywhere as exciting as the RO. I'm offsite in a meeting for a few hours and hopefully it will be on my desk when I return.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JB, our honeymoon was quite similar shopping and food...with some site seeing in between. Mrs. Dino came home with a Channel hand bag, Hermes handbag, Hermes scarves, and Chopard earings. I used a bit more restraint and got a pair of Cartier cufflinks (like the ones Frills just picked up). Ok, I only used some restraint because I was expecting the delivery of a new Daytona when we were returned to the States.
devil.gif

I am glad Mrs. JB is not huge on handbags and prefers some more reasonable brands of clothing. Since we recently found out about some cost savings for our German wedding ceremony, we could kop a Tank Solo....you know for "us" to enjoy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man I hope I didn't build this up too much. Lol This won't be anywhere as exciting as the RO. I'm offsite in a meeting for a few hours and hopefully it will be on my desk when I return.

i dont care if its a timex, i just want to see it already. :)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So cold today. Had to wear some ice cold platinum.
uvusy3yn.jpg

Nice as ever Frills. V special :slayer:

@Betelgeuse Thanks for sharing BG, couldn't agree more with your sentiment too :nodding:

:lookaround:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics