• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hint: snowball fight isn't exactly the same thing as snowballing

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hint - if i wasnt married id be more explicit on my definition of snowball fight in this case.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Kaplan drop by Franz J he sells hirsch etc and has day to day delivery.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tak @Find Finn, god idé.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hint - if i wasnt married id be more explicit on my definition of snowball fight in this case.

What are we talking about here? I don't know what this is all about.......... #reallynow

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So cold today. Had to wear some ice cold platinum.

uvusy3yn.jpg

Playing around with filters here to capture details of suit jacket given poor indoor lighting. I love my TWAT brothers but there was no way in hell I was heading outdoors wearing just my suit just to get a decent picture.

a8amytyv.jpg

And just because I like 'dem CUFF LINKS!

7a8y3e7a.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches?

As the honourable Mr Barwick said, all watches of integrity seem to get respect here. My miserable collection comprises a battered old Omega worth less than my shoes, a quartz Rodania with Saddam Hussein's face on it (long story), and a shiny new Seiko in bright orange. Yet amazingly, the pack have accepted me as their own rather than tearing my miserable hide to shreds. Even the flashy bastard above with his platinum Patek has been able to find warm and friendly words about a Seiko, Tissot or Hamilton posted by one of us lesser mortals. So welcome in, Betel. The watch people on this forum are even nicer than the shoe people. Good to see you here.

Thanks my friend. Yes, I'm going to keep this bare-wristed vigil going until the watch arrives!

I admire your principles, and I hope the anticipation will only heighten the pleasure in due course. :)

crying and having on tantrum on the floor when its time to give it back to the SA...I know I always did.
wink.gif

So many watches, so many bemused sales assistants....so many tantrums. You have ruined my life (and your posts are always at their best when ROs are involved!)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many watches, so many bemused sales assistants....so many tantrums. You have ruined my life (and your posts are always at their best when ROs are involved!)
Thanks Mimo.
cheers.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I admire your principles, and I hope the anticipation will only heighten the pleasure in due course. :)

Thanks, I have a good feeling about today . . . keeping my fingers crossed. The tough part has not been going bare but wearing a fit that compliments the new piece 3 straight days now. LOL

11838059504_9463e97cba_z.jpg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the honourable Mr Barwick said, all watches of integrity seem to get respect here. My miserable collection comprises a battered old Omega worth less than my shoes, a quartz Rodania with Saddam Hussein's face on it (long story), and a shiny new Seiko in bright orange. Yet amazingly, the pack have accepted me as their own rather than tearing my miserable hide to shreds. Even the flashy bastard above with his platinum Patek has been able to find warm and friendly words about a Seiko, Tissot or Hamilton posted by one of us lesser mortals. So welcome in, Betel. The watch people on this forum are even nicer than the shoe people. Good to see you here.

Awesome! Thanks! So I will share my very limited (in terms of number of watches
lol8[1].gif
) watches. What you will see in here most of the time.
biggrin.gif

This was my first “real” watch. I bought it when I was 16 becuase I was a huge fan of Formula 1 and the McLaren-Mercedez Team. Whenever I saw this watch in the stores my eyes turned into hearts. Still does. It has been with me 10 years and I still love it. I believe that every watch has a very nice story with it and marks a special moment at least in my life.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1 Spot on Nuke.  I love nice shoes and clothing, but they have taken a back seat over the years to watches, for many of the same reasons you have mentioned.  Beyond that, if you tire of a watch or decide its not your taste you can trade it and if purchased smartly they retain good value (and in rare cases they appreciate)...that is never happening with the nicest suit or shoes.  

I love wearing nice clothing, but even at nice events sometimes I worry about not having my clothes damaged.  I went to a wedding where they served some sort of soup/biscque...well some F@cking $hithead waiter spilled a large blob of soup on the back of a nice Rubinacci suit jacket...and never said a word.  At least if the guy told me I might have been able to get it out before it set into the fabric.  Neither I nor my wife noticed it until we got home from our trip and it had dried into the fabric.  When I saw the color of the stain I knew instantly what it was.    

So I love nice clothing and shoes...but watches for me are much more enjoyable, more durable, and often look as fantastic now as they did 20 years ago or more.  

My goodness. I would have absolutely lost it if that happened! I have noticed that especially with suits, one bad evening can really take down any suit. Additionally, at least for me, drycleaning and maintenance is an absolute hassle. I have to send my stuff off to Rave Fabricare, and that is just an expense that is not very fun to deal with. Thus, I have found that I enjoy myself more (and hell, do better work) when I am wearing something a bit more disposable.

And I think that your collection is a testament to how great timepieces can look after such a long period of time! Your Daytona is gorgeous.

Thank you for elaborating on your purchase! I may PM you if I end up going the Lange direction any time soon (read: doubtful)

Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches? 

Nope, it is for lovers of watches! And your collection is very, very nice and tasteful! Stick around, there is plenty of room.

1,000 posts on SF, mostly via TWAT!  Boom!

Congrats! I need to catch up with your pace. You are going to overrun my post count before too long! Maybe stitchy can throw some posts our direction.

Also, TWAT lately has been on fire. Great watches, great discussion, etc. Things have really been picking up!

So cold today. Had to wear some ice cold platinum.

A fitting piece for the cold weather, to say the least.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice trio Betel! I have a Hamilton as well and it caught me the same way your Tag did when I would see it in stores.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very nice trio Betel!  I have a Hamilton as well and it caught me the same way your Tag did when I would see it in stores.  

Also JB, I have greatly enjoyed your pics of the BLNR. It looks spectacular. I may or may not have asked a certain Rolex dealer to give me some prices :nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads