• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have found myself mooning over the latest APRO chronos recently. Other than the treatment of the date function, can't come up with much to dislike. Maybe the crown's also a little big? The dial is just stupendous up close, though. I could stare at the various textures for hours. I would stare at the various textures for hours!

The new RO Chronograph is a beautiful watch. Its one of the few pieces I've seen that made a successful transition from being enlarged and using the same movement of the prior 39mm model. While it is larger than the prior model, everything is proportionally appropriate and looks correct. It doesn't suffer from looking distorted and bloated, which I find to be a big problem on Rolex's DJ II and DD II. I don't mind the date position at all between the 4 and 5. I greatly prefer it to chopping out part of the 6 marker/continuous seconds subdial, which is frequently done on Cartiers, BPs, and Breguets etc. using the same base movement. I also like that the date wheel is matched to the dial color so it is less distracting.

This watch was a strong contender for me, but I ultimately chose the ultra thin RO Jumbo. I already have a watch with an F.Piguet 1185 movement, and the Jumbo is iconic as is its ultra thin movement cal 2121. If I were lucky enough to add another RO to my collection someday, the RO chronograph would probably be my top choice for another AP.

As for the size of the crown in person it looks appropriate. I think it would be quite difficult to grip and use (because of its shape and smooth sides), if it did not stick out beyond its protective shoulders. The only think that I find a tad difficult to do with this watch is to unscrew the screw down pushers. They are hexagonal in shape to match the crown and hex bolts of the bezel, but they are a bit tough to grip. They don't have the little teeth going around them that you would find on say a Rolex Daytona. However, that was the only fault I find with this watch, and its something I'd be willing to suffer through.

The finish on them is simply exceptional. The way the light brings out the various finishes and textures under different lighting situations is amazing. You can see that its a very labor intensive case and bracelet to make. While I wish they were more affordable (I'd get a few), its a watch where you can quickly see why they are so expensive, but that they are worth what they cost.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I too am enjoying this watch on a brown strap, and I am jealous of its versatility. I need to figure out how to make the MUT Moon more versatile!!!

If you figure something out Cylon, let me know. I have struggled with that for a while. I am thinking navy croc with royal blue stitching. That may help to casualize it.

Cylon

Reaction score
I saw a Stowa Marine with a white dial and arabic numerals in the wild yesterday. Looked awesome from afar and up close. Great wrist presence and the brushed metal really caught my eye. Chatted the guy up and he said he had a flieger at home too. Guess he's a happy customer

I was really surprised at how awesome it looked, and how it caught my eye so well.

I mention this because it happened just yesterday, but also for Khal80--don't think you're getting less watch for the money if you go with a smaller brand. In fact the opposite is probably true! if its caught your fancy just bite the bullet if you're brave. Where are you located?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you figure something out Cylon, let me know. I have struggled with that for a while. I am thinking navy croc with royal blue stitching. That may help to casualize it.
Definitely try navy croc with royal blue stitching. I think that would look fantastic with it. My dad has a JLC 8 Day Master in platinum on a blue croc strap and it looks really handsome (although his stitching is also navy). I think with a navy blue croc strap with royal blue contrasting stitching would be amazing!

Khal80

Reaction score
I saw a Stowa Marine with a white dial and arabic numerals in the wild yesterday. Looked awesome from afar and up close. Great wrist presence and the brushed metal really caught my eye. Chatted the guy up and he said he had a flieger at home too. Guess he's a happy customer

I was really surprised at how awesome it looked, and how it caught my eye so well.

I mention this because it happened just yesterday, but also for Khal80--don't think you're getting less watch for the money if you go with a smaller brand. In fact the opposite is probably true! if its caught your fancy just bite the bullet if you're brave. Where are you located?

Houston, TX

Khal80

Reaction score
Yea..I loooked up the authorized dealers..I may have to. Theres on in Austin too

I called Tourneau, and they carry it online. I would have to give a refundable deposit and they would send it in store for me to see/try on.
They dont carry the GMT version, but are checking up on it.

thanks again for all the help

Cylon

Reaction score
NP.

Go take pix and share them with us
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new RO Chronograph is a beautiful watch. Its one of the few pieces I've seen that made a successful transition from being enlarged and using the same movement of the prior 39mm model. While it is larger than the prior model, everything is proportionally appropriate and looks correct. It doesn't suffer from looking distorted and bloated, which I find to be a big problem on Rolex's DJ II and DD II. I don't mind the date position at all between the 4 and 5. I greatly prefer it to chopping out part of the 6 marker/continuous seconds subdial, which is frequently done on Cartiers, BPs, and Breguets etc. using the same base movement. I also like that the date wheel is matched to the dial color so it is less distracting.

This watch was a strong contender for me, but I ultimately chose the ultra thin RO Jumbo. I already have a watch with an F.Piguet 1185 movement, and the Jumbo is iconic as is its ultra thin movement cal 2121. If I were lucky enough to add another RO to my collection someday, the RO chronograph would probably be my top choice for another AP.

As for the size of the crown in person it looks appropriate. I think it would be quite difficult to grip and use (because of its shape and smooth sides), if it did not stick out beyond its protective shoulders. The only think that I find a tad difficult to do with this watch is to unscrew the screw down pushers. They are hexagonal in shape to match the crown and hex bolts of the bezel, but they are a bit tough to grip. They don't have the little teeth going around them that you would find on say a Rolex Daytona. However, that was the only fault I find with this watch, and its something I'd be willing to suffer through.

The finish on them is simply exceptional. The way the light brings out the various finishes and textures under different lighting situations is amazing. You can see that its a very labor intensive case and bracelet to make. While I wish they were more affordable (I'd get a few), its a watch where you can quickly see why they are so expensive, but that they are worth what they cost.

Dino, I'm not well versed on mechanics but is a 12 o' clock date position an option with this movement? To me, losing the AP logo and putting the window up there instead would have been the best way to preserve the otherwise admirable symmetry. But, like you say, quibbles. It's a great watch and may well be my next one!

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Pilot's watch posing as "dress watch" today:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pilot's watch posing as "dress watch" today:

Nice to see it getting some wrist time, as a quasi-dress watch. Looks great.
Dino, I'm not well versed on mechanics but is a 12 o' clock date position an option with this movement? To me, losing the AP logo and putting the window up there instead would have been the best way to preserve the otherwise admirable symmetry. But, like you say, quibbles. It's a great watch and may well be my next one!
Hi Omega,

No, they only make it with the date between 4 and 5. So if someone gives it to you as a gift and you find the date window position terribly offensive, feel free to tell him/her to give it to me instead!
wink.gif

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Agree, and here's a wristie of my Stowa Marine Original to back it up:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omega Male - that watch is great. i really hope to own an AP RO some day. frilly - :slayer:
Thought I would share one of mine here. Always gets a few stares and compliments.
i have oogled that watch a great many times. fantastic. i know dno hates annuals, but i think he is off mark on this one. :hide:
The platinum version is nice, but I agree and think I prefer the gold. I like the warmth the gold adds to this fine time piece. I find the platinum version a bit too sterile, but if someone gifted it to me...I wouldn't kick it to the curb!
the gold and brown contrast between case and strap is magnificent. -- coxaca - a thought id like to share. im not sure what your intent is with your photo bomb posts, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to spark conversation, not just post random watch pics for no real reason. if that is the case, id like to recommend the following. 1. post one watch at a time, and maybe add a few extra detail pics in a spoiler. 2. add some text to the post regarding why you are posting the watch. what intrigues you about it, what questions you may have about it, an interesting history.... anything at all that adds interest to you. if you do that, i think you will have a much better chance at creating conversation.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
coxaca - a thought id like to share. im not sure what your intent is with your photo bomb posts, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to spark conversation, not just post random watch pics for no real reason. if that is the case, id like to recommend the following.

1. post one watch at a time, and maybe add a few extra detail pics in a spoiler.

2. add some text to the post regarding why you are posting the watch. what intrigues you about it, what questions you may have about it, an interesting history.... anything at all that adds interest to you.

if you do that, i think you will have a much better chance at creating conversation.

+1. I support this recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads