• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys. Would it be completely ridiculous for your wife to have/wear the exact same watch as you? I'm not talking about his and hers Datejusts like what Cleav posted (which I think is a lovely concept), but literally 2 identical men's size watches.

I think this depends on the watch. And the wife. And the husband.

But I've had no problems or complaints when I went out with my wife and she wore my 3970 in yellow gold and I wore my 3970 in platinum.

Guess that doesn't qualify for "identical" since the metals are different...

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Beautiful watch. But I would not buy a luxury gold watch with a quartz movement. Ever. But that's me and how I choose to spend my money.
Totally get that. And to be clear, this thing actually has a stainless steel back! Even worse. :embar:
I have quartz-a-phobia, but ymmv. Wrist shots would help, looks like a very small watch.
Don't have any personal wrist shots of it stitchy, but having tried it on a few times, I'm not worried at all about the size of this piece relative to my wrist. It pretty much fits me like a modestly-sized, slim dress watch should.
Hi Keith, IMHO, the Tank is the quintessential rectangular watch. Its been around for almost 100 years and it still looks smart, relevant, and is a great change of pace from the usual round watches that we usually consider. [...] Actually, the current ultra thin Tank XL is considerably larger than my Tank XL. Tanks have been around for many years and there are many variations on the theme. Perhaps you should expand your search to include other pre-owned Tanks. Wishing you luck on your search, or luck being talked out of getting a Tank (if you truly wish to be talked out of it).
(emphasis mine) ^^OMG THIS^^ But I will definitely keep looking....and Dino, I believe yours is a limited edition, right? It's got that sweet "Paris" on the dial, and also an exhibition back, compared to the current offering from Cartier....do you know the actual case size on it?
[...]I think I agree with this, although part of the point seems to be that this particular quartz is a cheaper GOLD Cartier? But yeah, I think a gold quartz watch would be a great present for my daughter. But it wouldn't be for me. Whereas that Solo XL is definitely on my list of candidates for "under $3k, you know I almost could..." possible purchase.
The fact that it is YG is definitely a big part of the attraction for me. And I'll even admit that given current tastes, this particular version could be seen as unisex. And yet I'm totally okay with it for some reason. Maybe I just freeze the Amex in a big block of ice and wait for the fever to subside LOL. That usually works.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TC, Oh so that's what you meant about the silver dial AP she mentioned to you. Didn't realise same size. Depends on fit etc I'd say, why not? Why ever not!

I'm not gonna ask the Duchess for her opinion as it might plant the seed to some serious expense. :)

Mimo, that's the style longine I pictured in my response to Betelg earlier. I like that one too. What's not to like.

Keith, looks like it has bitten you, also looks like you not bought it in your head. For all the positive reasons mapped out by you Dino and others it's good, for all the neg reasons mapped out by you, Dino and others it ain't good. No real dilemma I feel, I think your head has the answer

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Question for you guys. Would it be completely ridiculous for your wife to have/wear the exact same watch as you? I'm not talking about his and hers Datejusts like what Cleav posted (which I think is a lovely concept), but literally 2 identical men's size watches.

I wouldn't do it, personally. I'd even have a hard time with the same watch in different sizes. YMMV.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Longines make some fine watches. The wife wants one, so I'll show that one off here as soon as it's on her wrist.

My wife wants one also. I like a lot of their watches. Particularly the Legend Diver.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't do it, personally. I'd even have a hard time with the same watch in different sizes. YMMV.

My wife wants one also. I like a lot of their watches. Particularly the Legend Diver.

Who's wearing the trousers here? Just saying :smarmy:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the his and hers idea, in their respective sizes. However, I wouldn't want to wear the exact same watch as my wife, in men's sizes. But that's just me. I know lots of guys think it looks great and cool when women wear men's watches (Subs, GMTs, Daytonas etc). I think women wearing mens watches up to about 36mm looks fine. Beyond that I don't particularly care for the look, but that's just my personal taste.

(emphasis mine) ^^OMG THIS^^

But I will definitely keep looking....and Dino, I believe yours is a limited edition, right? It's got that sweet "Paris" on the dial, and also an exhibition back, compared to the current offering from Cartier....do you know the actual case size on it?
Hi Keith,

yes, my watch was part of the Collection Privee (it says Paris on the dial and has the exhibition back with rectangular movement). Only 200 were made in rose gold and 50 in platinum. I believe its case measures 39.2 x 30 mm. I'd advise you to try on any rectangular and square cased watches that you are considering, as they almost always wear larger than similarly sized round watches. There are so many variations of Tanks that I'm sure you will be able to find a manual wind model version to satisfy your desire to own a Tank.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this depends on the watch.  And the wife.  And the husband.

But I've had no problems or complaints when I went out with my wife and she wore my 3970 in yellow gold and I wore my 3970 in platinum. 

Guess that doesn't qualify for "identical" since the metals are different...

Actually I think the fact that the metals are different (and the straps) make that a very different case for coordination--it actually sounds pretty awesome. Obviously it would make sense for one of us to get the gold one but that's 3x the expense. :(

TC, Oh so that's what you meant about the silver dial AP she mentioned to you. Didn't realise same size. Depends on fit etc I'd say, why not? Why ever not!

I'm not gonna ask the Duchess for her opinion as it might plant the seed to some serious expense. :)

Yes, we were out having drinks last weekend and she decided to try on the 15400. It immediately became "the one." I resized my SS Sub for her to wear and that only added fuel to the fire. She don't do hand-me-downs.

I'm with you, I gotta talk her out of this or distract her with something else. I think I would feel ridiculous. She's getting revenge on me for always wearing the same colors as her when we play mixed doubles (which I think is pretty funny).

If she's down with wearing a man's watch, why wouldn't you get something different so you have two watches to choose from?

Well, the problem is she is dead set on the AP bracelet, and her wrist is much smaller than mine, so sharing is not really practical. I even tossed out the idea of a Daytona, but nope, she just has her heart set on AP. I considered giving her mine and getting something else but there's nothing I like in this price range as much as the 15400, not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads