• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macs

Reaction score
Nice watch. I respect their heritage and the people who wear them but I get lost in the madness that is the Navitimer. I'd touch the wrong pusher and initiate the detonation sequence and know I messed up.
You mean the countless versions they make switching dials positions every year? If so, I couldn't agree more...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the cutout, especially done this way is playful while still staying true to the dressy nature of the watch. I guess it's more youthful.

Points taken though.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I think the cutout, especially done this way is playful while still staying true to the dressy nature of the watch. I guess it's more youthful.

Points taken though.

I don't consider myself old, though maybe not youthful anymore (early 30's), but it just looks tacky to me. Orient makes some good watches for the money, but this one would never get me to look twice at it for any good reason. If you're set on liking it, that's fine, but I don't consider random cut outs to be dressy or elegant.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I find those part-skeleton dials very tacky and associate them with fashion watches and nasty "hommages".

with a few exceptions, i agree to this. but the question was simply put is it a dress watch, and id say yes. :D

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A belated one, to be truthful - I lived near the Cottage for quite a short while about ten years ago, took my young son along a few times, then he wanted a shirt...season tickets followed...etc. That glorious season in Europe I made it to seventeen games - fourteen at home and three away including the final in Hamburg, despite living in Oman. I take it you're a Rams man?

RTC, youth ain't got nothing to do with it. What's right is right, and you can find a nicer Orient for your dress watch gap (or Seiko or Hamilton or Tissot or vintage wonder, within your budget!) And there's no reason that watch won't still please you in twenty years. But one with a hole in the dial showing nothing in particular, probably won't.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dig it. Dem Cartier links be purdy.

i like the rolexrolexrolex rehauts. :)

I don't know why, but I have kind of grown to like the Rolex rehauts. Sometimes I look at the bare rehaut in my MUT Moon, and kind of wish that something was there. Do I want JAEGERJAEGERJAEGER in my MUT Moon? Not really. But I am not as averse to the Rolex rehaut as I once was!

Honestly, I find those part-skeleton dials very tacky and associate them with fashion watches and nasty "hommages".  Nothing against Orient, but I think if you want an economical dress watch, then a cleaner dial is the way to go - and Orient have them too.  

Unless there's a tourbillon or something awesome to show off, I think displays of the movement should take place through the rear. :)

I don't consider myself old, though maybe not youthful anymore (early 30's), but it just looks tacky to me. Orient makes some good watches for the money, but this one would never get me to look twice at it for any good reason. If you're set on liking it, that's fine, but I don't consider random cut outs to be dressy or elegant.

I agree with both of these gents. Orient has some GREAT watches for the money (the Bambino is very noice), and I would not lump this one with those. I love skeletonized watches, but I really don't like "open heart" watches, with few exceptions. If this is the watch you are buying, I would say go for the open heart:

But a cut-out dial to show a basic Japanese auto movement with limited / no finishing? I would stick to a nice, clean dial.

I do not see it as youthful as much as tacky (I am 25 for reference).

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be honest, the only exotic skin that really interests me is croc or alligator, otherwise I'd prefer a nice simple calf skin.  While your comparison of other skins to other dermatology issues is entertaining, to me croc and alligator look elgant and luxurious.  Its rare for these vicious animals to grow to a certain size without sustaining battle wounds that reduce the value or usability of their skins. These animals are dangerous to man and their own kind,  often battling each other even when raised on farms etc.  The difficulty in getting good quality, undamaged skins is part of what causes croc or alligator to cost so much more than other exotic skins.

IMHO, lizard and python are road kill in many parts of the States, so I wouldn't consider paying a premium for them.  Ostrich, I just don't think looks luxurious or attractive (it looks like it needs Clearisil), nor is it that difficult to get good skins from them, so I see little reason to pay a premium for it.  But that's just my 2 cents. 

Interesting. I am in accord with you though, I personally love croc and gator and think they are beautiful (although I do not really like the small scale straps). And this is very true regarding good skins, which certainly makes me want to make a trek down to some of the Hermes farms in Mississippi / Louisiana. The premium for alligator is definitely warranted, considering, as you mentioned, the difficulty in procuring flawless skins, and also, from what I understand, the very limited amount of the alligator / croc that can actually be used! It blew my mind when I read how many gators go into the making of a Birkin. Definitely puts the price into perspective.

Also, thought I would bring this up:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-hamilton-pan-europ-vintage-inspired-and-budget-friendly

I am kind of excited about this... ~$1,000, vintage looks, could be a fun little vintage inspired piece. Much more reasonably priced than the chronograph version.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, thought I would bring this up:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-hamilton-pan-europ-vintage-inspired-and-budget-friendly

I am kind of excited about this... ~$1,000, vintage looks, could be a fun little vintage inspired piece. Much more reasonably priced than the chronograph version.

The 1971 one only existed as a chrono, yes? Still, I think the blue one looks as a fun watch. Glad it's 42mm as the original chrono, opposed to the 45mm of the chrono re-issue.

Last edited:

Rabelais

Reaction score
This is my first post ... Just a quick Hello and a little of my personal watch Appreciation... I have collected for many years and have Just ventured into shoe collecting. Enjoy Ron Patek Platinum 5035P Patek White Gold 5712G One off Kurt Schaffo Hand Engraved Masterpiece Enjoy

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 1971 one only existed as a chrono, yes? Still, I think the blue one looks as a fun watch. Glad it's 42mm as the original chrono, opposed to the 45mm of the chrono re-issue.

I think so. There is no reason why they could not have issued a 42mm or even 40mm reissue, but you know how these things go. I agree, I think it could be a fun watch to own, nice for beating around. The 45mm Pan Europ is just way, way, way too large.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this on hodinkee:

I'm usually only attracted to the simplest of Pannys, but this is rather well executed IMO. ($61K)

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think those new Chronographs are stunning. However, they (a) shouldn't be in precious metals, and (b) are not worth anything even remotely close to $60k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics