• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In reply to post #28599:

Of those, I prefer the 521 (though too large @ 47mm).

But IMO both of them suffer from badly placed sub seconds. Either have them all the way too the edge to better balance with the opposite '3' (like on a Luminor Marina), or keep the '9' and have the seconds next to that.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Bernard had a 190 in steel about two months ago for something like $9K. But it didn't have box and papers.

Otherwise, I would have seriously considered a trade-up.

I do like those gold hands.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Nuke, verily this is a dangerous path you are treading.  Dino held my hand as I traversed this path as well.  Before you know it you may end up preferring and purchasing Hermes products for your significant other and/or yourself.  'Tis yet another world, closely associated with our own obsession with fine timepieces, that your wallet may wish you not to enter.

Speaking Biblical today.  Or is it Norse?  Like Thor?

Like Yoda it is not.

What I did there you see.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
In reply to post #28599:

Of those, I prefer the 521 (though too large @ 47mm).

But IMO both of them suffer from badly placed sub seconds. Either have them all the way too the edge to better balance with the opposite '3' (like on a Luminor Marina), or keep the '9' and have the seconds next to that.
Oh I like the silly seconds placement, it makes the oddness of having it on the side at all, just perfectly and completely odd. Panerai is fundamentally silly, and I find this placement the most consistent with that, and all the more delightful for it. Logically I agree with you. Emotionally, no.

One thing I do prefer about the 521 is that is doesn't have "platinum" and "8 days" written on the dial. The former in particular smacks of insecure dick-waving. As if wearing a 45mm Panerai wasn't dick-waving enough. I guess the 47mm doesn't have the same sense of inadequacy! Having said that, I tried on a 47mm Rad a while back - the 323 I think it was. I was very surprised at how easy to wear it was. Those little wire lugs certainly let it sit easy.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nuke, verily this is a dangerous path you are treading. Dino held my hand as I traversed this path as well. Before you know it you may end up preferring and purchasing Hermes products for your significant other and/or yourself. 'Tis yet another world, closely associated with our own obsession with fine timepieces, that your wallet may wish you not to enter.

Speaking Biblical today. Or is it Norse? Like Thor?
Hahaha...more like pointed you in the right (dangerous) direction by suggesting you read Deluxe, How Luxury Lost its Luster. You definitely, became a fan Hermes products very quickly...all on your own...well maybe with a bit of enabling!
devil.gif

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those Pammys are excellent (198) no doubt about it but when the $ goes through some sort of ceiling you're surely looking elsewhere.

Mimo, great times for the Fulham boys, I remember watching that game on TV, happy days. Rams fan indeed, for my sins.

Doesn't everyone wax their chest?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you might have gone a bit Tolkien. Talking of Thor, though, I was rather disappointed with the movie rendition: what kind of Norse deity would wax his chest? Pathetic. And I speak with authority: my great great grandfather claimed to be the bastard son of the King of Sweden. No kidding.

I cannot question your claimed ancestry. But yes, Thor was strangely hairless from the neck down. T'was truly mysterious to me as to why my wife insisted on seeing the sequel, when clearly she also didn't mind Henry Cavill's rather hairy rendition of Superman in the recent "Man of Steel" movie. Perhaps my bride is an equal opportunity "desirer" of men with muscular chests.

Like Yoda it is not.

What I did there you see.

Not Yoda indeed.
marchal.gif

I did not find anything introduced at SIHH interesting. Does that make me strange?

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh I like the silly seconds placement, it makes the oddness of having it on the side at all, just perfectly and completely odd. Panerai is fundamentally silly, and I find this placement the most consistent with that, and all the more delightful for it. Logically I agree with you. Emotionally, no. One thing I do prefer about the 521 is that is doesn't have "platinum" and "8 days" written on the dial. The former in particular smacks of insecure dick-waving. As if wearing a 45mm Panerai wasn't dick-waving enough. I guess the 47mm doesn't have the same sense of inadequacy! Having said that, I tried on a 47mm Rad a while back - the 323 I think it was. I was very surprised at how easy to wear it was. Those little wire lugs certainly let it sit easy.
Dick waving 45mm Panerai wearer! :rotflmao:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Frilly: then you are fortunate that she has settled for the "Man of Platinum". :)

Cleav, if I had the chance, I'd waggle my 45 or 47 with equal enthusiasm!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nuke, verily this is a dangerous path you are treading.  Dino held my hand as I traversed this path as well.  Before you know it you may end up preferring and purchasing Hermes products for your significant other and/or yourself.  'Tis yet another world, closely associated with our own obsession with fine timepieces, that your wallet may wish you not to enter.

Speaking Biblical today.  Or is it Norse?  Like Thor?

You know, I am in a fortunate position whereby most of the young ladies around here have not even heard of Hermes, let alone have a strong hankering for their goods. One advantage of living in a smaller city where LV ends up being the end-all-be-all...

Personally, I do love me some Hermes. My "bonus parents" tend to treat me to some Hermes goods once a year.

And I would love a sac a depeche one day...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I am in a fortunate position whereby most of the young ladies around here have not even heard of Hermes, let alone have a strong hankering for their goods. One advantage of living in a smaller city where LV ends up being the end-all-be-all...

Personally, I do love me some Hermes. My "bonus parents" tend to treat me to some Hermes goods once a year.

And I would love a sac a depeche one day...

Recent SF thread on that same product/topic...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/369326/hermes-sac-a-depeche-whats-the-lowdown

My problem with a splurge on bags I will use for travel is that there will inevitably come that day when I am in some airport restroom and I will have to place that damn thing on the floor and have it make contact with pee from other creatures. And do I really want to do that to a sac a depeche? I understand, there are grey areas here since the soles of my Lobbs, Corthays, EGs and GGs regularly make contact with crap on the street and floor, but shoes are made for that express reason. And along the same lines, I am hesitant to splurge on bespoke shoes. And my RTW shoes cost a fraction of the MSRP of a sac a depeche.

And yet here I am writing an entire paragraph on why I'm hesitating on getting a sac a depeche. Sounds familiar? Like how I was convincing myself that "I would never buy solid gold cuff links from Patek" a few months back? Right.

Sorry for the OT discussion haha!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
And it's only a proper one if it's crocodile. So they say.

(Five minutes ago I thought it was a grooming procedure...)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went and tried on a 5711R and 5712R. Sorry, but they are amazing. Next on the hit list unless a Dufour pops up.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Just went and tried on a 5711R and 5712R. Sorry, but they are amazing. Next on the hit list unless a Dufour pops up.

Do it! No need to apologize to us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads