• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
A Stowa Prodiver. But I'll be back...

I spent a fair amount of time looking at Stowa and Nomos this week, and am now paying closer attention to that Junghans... the temptation to blow that grand is creeping up again... Well I do hope you're satisfied.
plain.gif

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Haha...if it were in my account, I doubt I'd have had the discipline. But like you, it's kind of a trade off with the wardrobe: I've lost a lot of weight in the last few months, to that point that literally none of my suits are anywhere near fitting me, and beyond adjustment, so I'm keeping the local tailors busy, and the bills are on the way...

The Junghans is certainly realistic in price and I like it, but having fallen for the Nomos I think I'll have to wait until I can afford it, or better: as you say, a grand is a grand, and I think it's too much for me to drop on something that I already know isn't the one I really want. The Stowa I will look at again though, for sure: probably not the Prodiver as I like the Seiko Orange Monster so much, and if I want to step up to a dive watch as casual wear, well one day I know it's got to be the Sub. The Tudor Black bay might hold a reasonable middle ground.

The Stowa I think I will probably get at some point is the Marine Original: it has the brand history of pilot watches, the design is very classic and versatile I think, and again, it's about a grand - complete with the croc strap. The only downside with Stowa, from your perspective, is the lack of a true dress watch of understated size. Anyway, one at a time, I suppose. :)

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you look at Japanese market Seikos which are quite a bit nicer than what we get here? higuchi and seiya carry them.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it's cool?

My question is "why by a platinum Rolex?"

I mean, there are a dozen cool Rolexes that I would be proud to own, including the Daytona. But seventy-five grand? To be honest, $13k for the steel one seems a bit steep these days too. But that much money could just buy so much love. Like all of those dozen cool Rolexes.

Or, if platinum chronographs are your thing, this one described by no less a master than Laurent Ferrier as "the best serially-produced watch" (apparently he bought one himself).

$75k for a platinum chronograph....I think I'd want it to look like this. Or get a nearly new one and have that steel Daytona with the change.

#langefanboi

Yes.

As for durability, I can't really tell you if Platinum is more durable than stainless steel. I'd probably treat my precious metal watches with a bit more care than my steel watches, although I'm pretty gentle with all of my watches. The question "Why get Platinum over Steel?" That's a bit like someone asking why purchase a pair of crocodile John Lobb shoes for several thousand dollars, if a pair of $250 shoes with croc embossing fit you comfortably. Sure 2 pairs of brown could look the same to most people so why bother spending more. There are things that go beyond simply the basic appearance and price. You get into the quality of materials, the workmanship, and intangibles like not having the same thing as a dozen other people at work, or appreciating the tanning process used with finer leathers.

I think Platinum is a bit of a thinking man's choice. It flies under the radar, it could be mistaken for steel or white gold by casual observers. Its not as blingy as yellow gold, particularly on a big watch like a Daytona. However, its a precious metal that is more durable than white gold, it needs no plating to look white (some white gold is rhodium plated because some compositions of WG in their natural state look dark gray), its has sort of a luxurious heaviness not experienced with steel. In addition, if you scratch gold, its very easy to polish the scratches out, but because its such a soft/delicate material you lose some of the metal (I've even seen 40 year old wedding bands that had nearly worn through in some places just from daily wear, it obviously depends on ones activities, but it can happen). However, when you polish platinum you lose almost no metal, you merely move the displaced molecules around, its just far more durable than gold.

Its purer than white gold, 95% pure platinum for most watches (I've seen jewelry grade platinum ranging from 90-99% pure, but the most common is 95%, again an 18Kt gold watch is only going to be 75% gold. In addition, one can consider the intangibles, its more difficult to work with than gold, its more difficult to mine ( I read something years ago to the effect of it take about 3 tons of gold ore to produce 1 ounce of pure fine gold while it takes 10 tons of platinum ore to produce 1 ounce of pure platinum). So you are talking about more work, more refining etc. In addition, companies usually produce far more watches in gold than they do platinum, so there is a rarity factor. Think of the number of gold Rolex watches one sees in person or even in a watch shop, relative to the number of platinum Rolex watches one sees. Platinum certainly not for everyone, and for some people maybe a steel watch is the right choice. If I were buying a precious metal watch and its going to be gold, I would choose rose gold, as its less brassy than yellow gold, and it looks like gold. I had a white gold watch, but its qualities didn't seem special enough to justify the premium over steel or even over RG or YG (WG, particularly if plated with rhodium often costs a bit more than rose or yg when a watch is new...and then you deal with possible re-plating issues), and it wasn't as unique or durable as platinum. However, IMHO based on the rarity, difficulty to mine, difficulty to work with, additional labor it requires to procure/produce, and its durability its worth a premium if one can afford a fine watch in platinum. I certainly hope to add a platinum watch in my collection some day. In the words of Ferris Bueller, ..."It is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up!"
cheers.gif

YES!!!

A Stowa Prodiver. But I'll be back...

Like the TERMINATOR (1984)!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mimo - on topic. Friends from halfway around the world are having dinner right now and sent me this image via Whatsapp:

e5agumu2.jpg

Not the best pic but hard to deny the lovely detailing for the movement of this RG Dato. Although I know your predilection for platinum!

Other watches from the current get-together:

7ynaja7a.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Man, your Illuminati WhatsApp group is really something! Good morning. :)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely, call the service centers and ask what an overhaul costs for which ever pieces you are considering.  You can look up where your nearest service center is/contact info online.  It makes far more sense to go directly to the source rather than hoping a sales associate has recently dealt with a service issue relating to one of the exact watches you have questions about servicing.  

As for durability, I can't really tell you if Platinum is more durable than stainless steel.  I'd probably treat my precious metal watches with a bit more care than my steel watches, although I'm pretty gentle with all of my watches.  The question "Why get Platinum over Steel?" That's a bit like someone asking why purchase a pair of crocodile John Lobb shoes for several thousand dollars, if a pair of $250 shoes with croc embossing fit you comfortably.  Sure 2 pairs of brown could look the same to most people so why bother spending more.  There are things that go beyond simply the basic appearance and price.  You get into the quality of materials, the workmanship, and intangibles like not having the same thing as a dozen other people at work, or appreciating the tanning process used with finer leathers.

I think Platinum is a bit of a thinking man's choice.  It flies under the radar, it could be mistaken for steel or white gold by casual observers.  Its not as blingy as yellow gold, particularly on a big watch like a Daytona.  However, its a precious metal that is more durable than white gold, it needs no plating to look white (some white gold is rhodium plated because some compositions of WG in their natural state look dark gray), its has sort of a luxurious heaviness not experienced with steel.  In addition, if you scratch gold, its very easy to polish the scratches out, but because its such a soft/delicate material you lose some of the metal (I've even seen 40 year old wedding bands that had nearly worn through in some places just from daily wear, it obviously depends on ones activities, but it can happen).  However, when you polish platinum you lose almost no metal, you merely move the displaced molecules around, its just far more durable than gold.  

Its purer than white gold, 95% pure platinum for most watches (I've seen jewelry grade platinum ranging from 90-99% pure, but the most common is 95%, again an 18Kt gold watch is only going to be 75% gold.  In addition, one can consider the intangibles, its more difficult to work with than gold, its more difficult to mine ( I read something years ago to the effect of it take about 3 tons of gold ore to produce 1 ounce of pure fine gold while it takes 10 tons of platinum ore to produce 1 ounce of pure platinum).  So you are talking about more work, more refining etc.  In addition, companies usually produce far more watches in gold than they do platinum, so there is a rarity factor.  Think of the number of gold Rolex watches one sees in person or even in a watch shop, relative to the number of platinum Rolex watches one sees.  Platinum certainly not for everyone, and for some people maybe a steel watch is the right choice.  If I were buying a precious metal watch and its going to be gold, I would choose rose gold, as its less brassy than yellow gold, and it looks like gold.  I had a white gold watch, but its qualities didn't seem special enough to justify the premium over steel or even over RG or YG (WG, particularly if plated with rhodium often costs a bit more than rose or yg when a watch is new...and then you deal with possible re-plating issues), and it wasn't as unique or durable as platinum.  However, IMHO based on the rarity, difficulty to mine, difficulty to work with, additional labor it requires to procure/produce, and its durability its worth a premium if one can afford a fine watch in platinum.  I certainly hope to add a platinum watch in my collection some day.   In the words of Ferris Bueller, ..."It is so choice.  If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up!"  :cheers:

Thanks for the write up!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not to be overly pedantic, but I believe it was the venerable Dufour who said that the Datograph was the best serially produced wristwatch. What I find just as interesting, is that he actually owns a Datograph. Supposedly it is one of the very few watches that he actually owns. I always found that quite interesting, and a heck of a testament to Lange.

But I completely agree with your assessment. The Datograph just blows the platinum Daytona out of the water in darn near every category. The two things I can think of that contribute so highly to the Daytona's high price are the insane amounts of platinum that are in that watch and the machining difficulty. But other than that, the Lange is in a completely different ballpark. Call me crazy, but I prefer the original than the new Dato up/down.

Dino, just a great write up. Very fascinating, I never knew all that. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out there.

Man, your Illuminati WhatsApp group is really something! Good morning. :)

+1. That is a heck of a get together. I <3 that Dato.

On a different note, I just wanted to share a little story. I have been somewhat out of the watch game a bit lately, as I have been focusing a lot more on my workwear (for those who follow the NMWA thread...). And really, I have been so content with my current pair, the Speedy and the MUT Moon, that I do not really feel any sense of urgency to acquire anything new (finally). But, having exhausted my morning reading early yesterday morning (down with the flu), I decided to check out the Timezone Showcase to see if there was anything interesting. And lo and behold, after about a year of shutting this darn thing out of my memory, I stumbled upon the stunning IWC 5251:

The IWC 5251 is actually one of the first watches that I ever laid my eyes on online. The first time I saw it, I was absolutely smitten. When I look back at my earliest "want" lists, that watch inspired most of my initial watch "crushes." I knew that the watch was out of production, but the IWC Port Chrono, the IWC 7 Day, and the Dornblueth 99.2 all kind of scratched that deck-watch itch. Since then, I have kind of grown out of my deck watch fascination phase. But every now and then I see the 5251 and all of those mushy feelings come back. I think that it may have the most gorgeous dial I have ever seen, bar none. Of course that is a subjective statement, but I do not think anyone can look at that watch and not think that there is something special about it. The watch is also incredibly thin--it is only 6mm wide, and it contains a pocket watch movement and has a big acrylic crystal.

The only real downside for me is the size--it clocks in at a monstrous 46mm.

However, considering that it was first made in 1981... it really does not bother me too much. This watch was just so ahead of its time. It is almost like it was a complete experiment. It is such an anomaly that I cannot help but love everything about it. It is probably the only watch that I have ever fallen completely, heads over heels in love with.

http://people.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles0035

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nuke, I hang my head in shame, it was indeed Philippe Dufour. I was just reading about both of them the other day. Doh! Yes, he has an original Datograph, in rose gold. Which I've never seen up close, and can be had for about $50k used and complete.

It's the new one that touched my heart; bigger case, cleaner dial, big power reserve. Didn't want to give it back!

At nearer $80k new it will have to wait, though. Maybe until I've burgled Frilly's house and sold his Pateks. Well, the gold ones...

As for your extraordinary IWC, it's certainly a beauty. I love the dial layout, the hands and the slender numerals. Sure, it's a dinner plate, but it's slim, with those curved wire lugs. I think you can carry it. Anyway, if not, you can always just sit and look at it.

Last edited:

suaviter

Reaction score
Could someone share the link again of the post on watchuseek that reviewed different straps for the Speedmaster? Looked back but couldn't find it.

Think I finally have one on the way after striking out a few times .... Thanks in advance.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love that newcomer, thanks for sharing. I shudder to think how much it might take to land one?
Yes, unfortunately they are quite steep. I think the MSRP was $14,000. I could see it being something of a collectors piece further down the road. The one posted on TZ was ~$22,000, which is still pretty darn high. That movement though is just spectacular.
Nuke, I hang my head in shame, it was indeed Philippe Dufour. I was just reading about both of them the other day. Doh! Yes, he has an original Datograph, in rose gold. Which I've never seen up close, and can be had for about $50k used and complete. It's the new one that touched my heart; bigger case, cleaner dial, big power reserve. Didn't want to give it back! At nearer $80k new it will have to wait, though. Maybe until I've burgled Frilly's house and sold his Pateks. Well, the gold ones... As for your extraordinary IWC, it's certainly a beauty. I love the dial layout, the hands and the slender numerals. Sure, it's a dinner plate, but it's slim, with those curved wire lugs. I think you can carry it. Anyway, if not, you can always just sit and look at it.
They are both cut from the same cloth, for sure. Those swiss (french) names tend to blur together after a while, anywho. And I can definitely understand the appeal of the newer one. I actually like the cleaner dial and the bigger power reserve, but I do not really care for the increase in size. However, the original just has that quirkiness that I am drawn to. Plus, it is a contemporary legend. Hard to pass up on that pedigree! But yes, aesthetically, the newer version is definitely more attractive. I am glad you share the love of the 5251. Aside from its tendency to look a little bit dinner plate-ish, it really is quite spectacular. It makes me yearn for the IWC of yesterday. On a related note, I wish that IWC had not shortened its name on some of the models. I love the script "International Watch Company" on the old Portuguese and Portofino models. The new "industrial" font does not really jibe with the "feeling" that a deck watch conveys, in my most humble of opinions.

spacetaekwon

Reaction score
Hey guys,
any of you have any experience purchasing from chrono24?
The vendors on the site seem to sell watches at a much lower price...from what I gather, the site + its premium/pro vendors are legit, but was wondering if anyone actually bought from them. Let me know, thanks!

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Quote:
Even with the date at the 3, this one is whispering to me. At $1,300 it's attainable, though indulgent at my level. I don't mind the date on this one either as the overall dial still feels very well balanced and elegant. This is the kind of classy, refined, and not ubiquitous look that I had in mind when I started looking for a dress watch. I'm going to say that my search for a first real watch (one whose dial doesn't feature a Disney character or the logo of a sports franchise) is over. Damn It Mimo... and thank you ;)

http://junghanswatchesusa.net/MEISTER/027-4110-00.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads