• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the B&Rs above, but you are the only person that will be wearing it, so if you like it go for it.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions. I think I will go for a TF and see if it gets any wrist time before upgrading her to a twenty4.

And here is my contribution to this great thread :). Apologies for the smartphone photo quality...

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! The stories are awesome! My dad is more about achievements.. every milestone has been a small little gift. When I graduated undergrad he gave me his vintage Oris..when I finished Grad school he gave me his Omega seamaster.. now with the baby he is giving me his breitling..he is urging me to get a Phd and he will get something big, lol... Im not even thinking of going that route for a very , very, very long time..lol.. Thanks for all the stories again guys.. will post when I get it

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! The stories are awesome! My dad is more about achievements.. every milestone has been a small little gift. When I graduated undergrad he gave me his vintage Oris..when I finished Grad school he gave me his Omega seamaster.. now with the baby he is giving me his breitling..he is urging me to get a Phd and he will get something big, lol... Im not even thinking of going that route for a very , very, very long time..lol.. Thanks for all the stories again guys.. will post when I get it

Glad you appreciate your dad's gestures. I got my PhD years ago and as a graduation gift I received... nothing. I was too busy working in any case.

Years later I started making up for the gifts I never received hahaha. :)

Congratulations again!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado.

OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis.

Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado. OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis. Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)
looks like you have delicate hands. :satisfied: Nice story though and it's great that you guys support her parents and are okay with doing so. :)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like you have delicate hands.
satisfied.gif

Nice story though and it's great that you guys support her parents and are okay with doing so.
smile.gif

I guess so. Despite all my macho bluster I'm really just a desk worker who has calluses from a few gym sessions a week. :)

My wife contributes her fair share. For years she made more money than I did when I was in grad school.

JimC

Reaction score

My three better quality watches for your ridicule or praise as the case may be. Please excuse the poor iPhone photo.

The Oris was my first good watch. I loved it a little too much and the crystal is the worse for it. Not an economical fix I suspect. The bracelt is off as I was going to put an appropriate black strap on it, but I ran out of steam.

The Tissot caught my eye in an AD a year or so back and my subsequent research brought me to a great review by Teeritz on Watchuseek. Not the finest piece around but a pretty good no-nonsense watch.

Finally, the Submariner. I had always liked the Explorer, but when I went in to an AD to try one on the sales assistant suggested I try this one on too. I'm so glad she did. It sang to me and there was no turning back. I received a fantastic deal on it at the time, and it has hardly left my wrist since that time almost four years ago. And in that time it has seen some pretty serious abuse. I was in the navy at the time of purchase, and it saw service in many different and unforgiving environments. It has a few scuffs to show for it, but I love the fact that my Submariner was actually worn by a submariner in a submarine, keeping periscope or bridge watches, and it's done its share of diving too. The submarine connection was a cliche that I was initially keen to avoid, but I'm glad I got over that. I now work in oil and gas, and this watch continues to serve me well, and it's probably quite thankful for the respite it's been given. I'd buy it in an instant if I had my time over again.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no frills - great story, and way to pay it forward. deets on shoes and tie plz. :)

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you appreciate your dad's gestures. I got my PhD years ago and as a graduation gift I received... nothing.  I was too busy working in any case.  

Years later I started making up for the gifts I never received hahaha. :)

Congratulations again!

What did you get your PhD in? Also, please tell me that grad school ends. Here in midway-through-land, it's all that can be seen going forward and backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads