• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great story and the watch looks killer with that suit. Well done!
On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado. OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis. Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado. OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis. Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)
Deets on tie and shoes?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado.
OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis.
Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again: What's on one's feet has far more impact on overall appearance than what's on one's wrist. This photo is a perfect example; at a glance, that could be any slim watch from an inexpensive Skagen to a platinum Altiplano — and it doesn't even remotely matter, as you look absolutely minted with those kicks. It always amazes me when certain watch-nerd types have no problem spending multiple thousands of $/€ on man-jewelry but balk at paying for decent shoes. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I know which one I'd prioritize if forced to choose, though.
My three better quality watches for your ridicule or praise as the case may be. Please excuse the poor iPhone photo. The Oris was my first good watch. I loved it a little too much and the crystal is the worse for it. Not an economical fix I suspect. The bracelt is off as I was going to put an appropriate black strap on it, but I ran out of steam. The Tissot caught my eye in an AD a year or so back and my subsequent research brought me to a great review by Teeritz on Watchuseek. Not the finest piece around but a pretty good no-nonsense watch. Finally, the Submariner. I had always liked the Explorer, but when I went in to an AD to try one on the sales assistant suggested I try this one on too. I'm so glad she did. It sang to me and there was no turning back. I received a fantastic deal on it at the time, and it has hardly left my wrist since that time almost four years ago. And in that time it has seen some pretty serious abuse. I was in the navy at the time of purchase, and it saw service in many different and unforgiving environments.
It has a few scuffs to show for it, but I love the fact that my Submariner was actually worn by a submariner in a submarine, keeping periscope or bridge watches, and it's done its share of diving too. The submarine connection was a cliche that I was initially keen to avoid, but I'm glad I got over that. I now work in oil and gas, and this watch continues to serve me well, and it's probably quite thankful for the respite it's been given. I'd buy it in an instant if I had my time over again.
Funny thing about that watch; as much a vocal minority of WUSsy types like to dismiss it as the default choice of the least discerning — as if any normal person would notice and then judge what kind of watch you're wearing as long as it's not some truly obnoxious POS — it's chosen by a quite a few of those who are the most discerning about their watches as well. I don't think you could have picked anything better, and in the real world, it's near-impossible to trump a Submariner that's being worn by somebody who uses it for its intended purpose. It's up there with astronaut watches that have been worn by actual astronauts. Also, why would you not want something that's going to look better and become even more desirable with age? You can still be wearing and enjoying it ten, twenty and forty years down the road. Not to mention that you'll still be able to get parts and service at that time if necessary. Fantastic watch, and many thanks for sharing the still-developing story behind it.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belligero, watches for me are a private pleasure, and I'm sure at least some people here feel the same way, so I'm not sure that shoe comparison might work in every situation. :)

And re the second part of your reply, there is a particular 'class' of watches which can tell you a lot about their owners! :devil:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Belligero, watches for me are a private pleasure, and I'm sure at least some people here feel the same way, so I'm not sure that shoe comparison might work in every situation. :)

And re the second part of your reply, there is a particular 'class' of watches which can tell you a lot about their owners! :devil:

I know what you mean, it's just that I would have a hard time justifying expense on a luxury like a watch without having the foundation well taken care of. It's not only that low-quality shoes look shabby, they also have physiological drawbacks. I should have mentioned that it's not only for reasons of vanity that I'd rank... uh... hoof-ments over movements. I do realize that it's a bit apples-to-oranges, though.

Yes, yes, I'm trying to be a bit diplomatic there. A watch definitely can carry certain connotations, positive or negative. But it's normally not the only signal, either. ;)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that it's not only for reasons of vanity that I'd rank... uh... hoof-ments over movements. I do realize that it's a bit apples-to-oranges, though.

"Hoof-ments over movements." That's awesome. :)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no frills - great story, and way to pay it forward. deets on shoes and tie plz.
smile.gif

Im gonna go out on a limb here, Tie is Tom Ford, and shoes are Berluti???????? am i at least close?!

Thanks, guys. jeff13007 - nice attempt. You do realize that I will now have to look at Tom Ford and Berluti selections, right? Sigh....... :)

Shoes are Corthay's Satan - ezlau is right!

Tie is $15 from www.thetiebar.com: http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?g=g&pn=22846

When did I become a Senior Member!?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you get your PhD in? Also, please tell me that grad school ends. Here in midway-through-land, it's all that can be seen going forward and backwards.

Economics. Took me five years from matriculation to starting a full-time job outside academia, defended thesis six months after that, then received the degree six months afterwards, given the academic cycle. So, about six years. On top of a couple of years doing another master's degree.

It does end, but I feel your pain. The guilt of feeling like you didn't write productively that day, endless revisions from various thesis committee members, the missives from on high telling me I wasn't good enough (yet). It was a pretty hardcore program, but it's as close to a traditional master/apprentice relationship as you could find. Until the master says the student is ready............ but keep at it!

Great story and the watch looks killer with that suit. Well done!

Thanks, rnguy001.

ant702

Reaction score
I know what you mean, it's just that I would have a hard time justifying expense on a luxury like a watch without having the foundation well taken care of. It's not only that low-quality shoes look shabby, they also have physiological drawbacks. I should have mentioned that it's not only for reasons of vanity that I'd rank... uh... hoof-ments over movements. I do realize that it's a bit apples-to-oranges, though.

Yes, yes, I'm trying to be a bit diplomatic there. A watch definitely can carry certain connotations, positive or negative. But it's normally not the only signal, either.
wink.gif
Apples 2 oranges, not quite brother! You said the magic word "VANITY"!

ant702

Reaction score
On topic, here's a pic to support the notion of heirloom/sentimental value. From earlier this afternoon - me wearing my museum Movado.

OMG! Movado! Quartz! But hey, a his-and-hers pair was given to me and my wife when we got married more than a decade ago. My parents-in-law must have saved up for months to buy that, given what I know of their financial capabilities. I loved them for it, and honor their gift. Today they are retired, and we're fortunate to be able to support them as their retirement savings were obliterated by this and that financial crisis.

Yeah, we have several Rolexes and Pateks in our stable now but sometimes I still whip out my Movado. Frankly, I think it works well with the suit/shoe ensemble. :)
Hats off to you! And thats a GQ worthy picture
bigstar[1].gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

id pass on B&R. WAY overpriced. I owned this for a very short time...theyre REALLY fun watches. but pedestrian movements and rubber straps at their pricetag is ridiculous. This was 18K rose gold on a gator strap...I kinda miss it, but IIRC MSRP was well over $10K

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Hats off to you! And thats a GQ worthy picture
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

ahh the movado espereranza. I wanted that watch so bad it made me sick when i was young. hahaha.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ErikW

Reaction score
Nice watch! I wasn't planning on spending that much on a B&R anyways - trying to stay under $3k and it looks like it's possible with the BR03-92. Any suggestions for the 1,500-3,000 price range (can be used)? I don't want a dress watch. I want something casual that I can wear everyday. Preferably automatic.

id pass on B&R. WAY overpriced. I owned this for a very short time...theyre REALLY fun watches. but pedestrian movements and rubber straps at their pricetag is ridiculous. This was 18K rose gold on a gator strap...I kinda miss it, but IIRC MSRP was well over $10K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads