• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahh the movado espereranza. I wanted that watch so bad it made me sick when i was young. hahaha.

Oh, that's what it's called. Haha! As Stitch said in another thread, uber phail on my part. I studied up a ton for the new mechanicals I acquired recently, but didn't do much to study up on the Movados I already had. Whoopsee!

Cylon

Reaction score
If you want to keep with the aviator heritage go for a stowa or a a sinn. I understand that you have your heart set on the particular aesthetic B&R has but if it were me I would wait to see if it was a passing fad or something that stuck with me over the long haul. Like others have said B&R are overpriced for what you get.

You could always go and save up only a wee bit more and just get a Rolex no-date sub like a 14060 for just under 4k...or get a submariner homage for cheaper than that. I know some people have problems with homages but hell i'd take a steinhart over a B&R any day.

Theres also an omega speedy pro or a seamaster too

Last edited:

ant702

Reaction score

My three better quality watches for your ridicule or praise as the case may be. Please excuse the poor iPhone photo.

The Oris was my first good watch. I loved it a little too much and the crystal is the worse for it. Not an economical fix I suspect. The bracelt is off as I was going to put an appropriate black strap on it, but I ran out of steam.

The Tissot caught my eye in an AD a year or so back and my subsequent research brought me to a great review by Teeritz on Watchuseek. Not the finest piece around but a pretty good no-nonsense watch.

Finally, the Submariner. I had always liked the Explorer, but when I went in to an AD to try one on the sales assistant suggested I try this one on too. I'm so glad she did. It sang to me and there was no turning back. I received a fantastic deal on it at the time, and it has hardly left my wrist since that time almost four years ago. And in that time it has seen some pretty serious abuse. I was in the navy at the time of purchase, and it saw service in many different and unforgiving environments. It has a few scuffs to show for it, but I love the fact that my Submariner was actually worn by a submariner in a submarine, keeping periscope or bridge watches, and it's done its share of diving too. The submarine connection was a cliche that I was initially keen to avoid, but I'm glad I got over that. I now work in oil and gas, and this watch continues to serve me well, and it's probably quite thankful for the respite it's been given. I'd buy it in an instant if I had my time over again.
You wore your Rolex on deployment 2, Ha,Ha,Ha! Did you catch any flack from your superiors? They told me I was out of uniform, but once I got my NB sneakers stolen, there was no way I could leave my watch in a damn tent!

ErikW

Reaction score
I had a Omega Speedmaster for a few years. It was alright. Most recently I had an Ikepod Hemipode, but I sold that about a month ago.

Anyone have any thoughts on Panerai?

If you want to keep with the aviator heritage go for a stowa or a a sinn. I understand that you have your heart set on the particular aesthetic B&R has but if it were me I would wait to see if it was a passing fad or something that stuck with me over the long haul. Like others have said B&R are overpriced for what you get.

You could always go and save up only a wee bit more and just get a Rolex no-date sub like a 14060 for just under 4k...or get a submariner homage for cheaper than that. I know some people have problems with homages but hell i'd take one of those over a B&R.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Quote:

Save a little money and get a Stowa or Laco Flieger without logo. I prefer the Stowa, but if you want something a bit bigger, go Laco. That is if you enjoy the look of Fliegers, if not, completely ignore me.

Cylon

Reaction score
You wore your Rolex on deployment 2, Ha,Ha,Ha! Did you catch any flack from your superiors? They told me I was out of uniform, but once I got my NB sneakers stolen, there was no way I could leave my watch in a damn tent!

Are you on drugs?

MSchott

Reaction score

You could always go and save up only a wee bit more and just get a Rolex no-date sub like a 14060 for just under 4k...or get a submariner homage for cheaper than that. I know some people have problems with homages but hell i'd take a steinhart over a B&R any day.

I keep reading the word "overpriced" in regards to B & R but luxury watches are just that and the price can only be justified by the wearer. Most would say any watch over $100.00 is overpriced and even a relatively high end piece like a BR03 would be beyond the concept of most people much less a Journe, Patek Philippe or AP. And even the watch enthusiast who owns these brands may have a B & R in their collection because it's what they want on their wrist. The square models been phenomenally successful for B & R for a reason. They are cool, big and the right watch at the right time.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice watch! I wasn't planning on spending that much on a B&R anyways - trying to stay under $3k and it looks like it's possible with the BR03-92. Any suggestions for the 1,500-3,000 price range (can be used)? I don't want a dress watch. I want something casual that I can wear everyday. Preferably automatic.

As far as I'm concerned, Sinn owns the under-$3K non-dressy category. They're an established, independent company with some real history — not some fashion-conglomerate-owned shell of a former name or lame-design-having off-the-shelf-Chinese-component-using fly-by-night "microbrand", their service is excellent, their no-BS designs are sober and functional, and they have a long list of useful technical innovations (surface hardening, de-humidification bits, lubricant-free escapements...). In short, they produce handsome, high-quality watches right in Germany, don't try to obfuscate the origin of their (top-grade) ETA movements, and price their stuff fairly.

They have an extensive list of models, although they apparently still haven't figured out how to take flattering photos of their own watches for their site.

If this even remotely appeals, check them out:

By the way, the hardened-steel thing is no joke. Here are my 20 mm and 22 mm bracelet clasps. Guess which one went through a bike crash...

Surprise, it ain't the scratched-up one, it's the one with the tiny dent on the lower left. They've both been subject to equal normal wear, aside from the hardened one taking a spill on asphalt. I don't know about you, but that's the kind of thing that I like having in a casual, everyday watch. One of the best luxuries is not having to worry about your stuff, so by that standard Sinns are extremely luxurious.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any thoughts on Panerai?

yes. they are awesome. go buy one now.

if you want a 176 i have one i can hook you up with. :spam:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprise, it ain't the scratched-up one, it's the one with the tiny dent on the lower left. They've both been subject to equal normal wear, aside from the hardened one taking a spill on asphalt. I don't know about you, but that's the kind of thing that I like having in a casual, everyday watch. One of the best luxuries is not having to worry about your stuff, so by that standard Sinns are extremely luxurious.

Wow, scratchproof demo for the win.

Belligero, you've become a Senior Citizen too!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As far as I'm concerned, Sinn owns the under-$3K non-dressy category.
They have an extensive list of models, although they apparently still haven't figured out how to take flattering photos of their own watches for their site.

...and you posted my favourite one.

ErikW

Reaction score
Yea, scratchproof is definitely a huge plus in my book. Does the Panerai have the same level of scratch resistance? They're titanium, right?

johanm

Reaction score

One of the best luxuries is not having to worry about your stuff, so by that standard Sinns are extremely luxurious.

Well stated. It's a great feeling to have a watch you can really trust. I'm going to have to look into the Sinn hardened steel.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, scratchproof is definitely a huge plus in my book. Does the Panerai have the same level of scratch resistance? They're titanium, right?

I'm not sure what kind of titanium they use, but if it's Grade 5, it's a fair bit more scratch-resistant than regular stainless steel. But it's not even close to hardened steel, unfortunately, except for the ceramic models — though they have an unfortunate tendency to shatter on impact. On the other hand, light scratches on normal steel or titanium polish/brush out easily, so it's not a huge deal. With a difficult-to-restore finish, like Sinn's bead-blasting, the scratch-resistance is a welcome bonus. Personally, I think the best defence against scratches is a watch that actually fits under one's cuff.

Aptly enough... :hide:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads