• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THE onewatch

View attachment 793391

I've been wearing some version or the other of the Sub as my only watch for over 10 years.

Well, it's certainly one of them, I agree. Here's mine today (apologies for the poor cellphone photo):

20170607_145023.jpg

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day, I hope my future wife looks at me the same way Wraithy looks at his BB36. That's when I'll know I have true love :cheers:

Thanks mate. I'm particularly lucky...I have a gorgeous wife and a BB36 ;)

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subs, eh?

1-_DSF9183.jpg

1-_DSF9187.jpg

Well, I just so happen have this early LV in hand at this very moment. It's in desperate need of a cleaning and has a few minor scuffs, but it's complete, all-original, and unpolished. As this is a 2003 watch, it would be sweet if it was a mint-condition example, but this one should look just fine once I get rid of the wrist cheese, and I figure I'd be able wear it without stress.

Anyone want to talk me out of buying this thing? :colgate:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Her uncle who inherited the watch made some comments about his trouble getting it serviced, saying they couldn't source parts. It's likely a 60's, possibly 70's dress model.

Patek Philippe pride themselves that they will service, repair or revise their watches ad infinitum and if they do not have the required parts anymore, they will actually produce them (most other manufacturers will only guarantee spare parts for something like twenty years). Almost certainly, PP can do a revision to the watch in question......but at a price.

I presume that uncle just checked with local repair shops and not with PP themselves (through a local authorised dealer). Take the watch to an AD and ask them to get an estimate from PP. They are the people do do that job, but, as I said, it won't be cheap.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hard to argue against those two. Rock solid, gorgeous, tons of history, and entry level $ for a luxury watch.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Jaeger-Lecoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon, White Gold Boutique Edition Ref Q1363540, which does not appear to have been photographed in detail or reviewed out on the interwebs yet. I tried this on in Geneva two weekends ago, and it just clicked. I had to have it. Though I did buy it gray market (always nice to save $5 grand).

I was drawn to this watch for a multitude of reasons, especially:
  • I've always loved the elegant design of the Master Ultra Thin series, with the Moonphase being my favorite.
  • JLC's heritage as the "watchmaker to watchmakers" suits me. Not so uppity as some maisons d'horlogerie, but having brought about many of the advancements that enabled their greatness.
  • My only dress watch would have to be a precious metal, but white gold doesn't announce itself so loudly
  • The silvery-grayness of it will match any strap color
  • Not so sporty as a black dial. Not so formal as a white. Will dress down.
  • The complications are minimized but give a bit of a wink to an otherwise formal layout.
Some quick and dirty iPhone pics.

IMG_5663.JPG
IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

It is worth mentioning that the color of the dial and brightness of the metal seems impossible to capture with my iPhone camera. But the way it catches the light, and the oh-so-subtle gray sunburst effect on the dial, is just magnificent.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, my fiancée's grandfather passed away and left behind a vintage non-working Patek. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to handle the watch, otherwise I would have snapped some picks.

Her uncle who inherited the watch made some comments about his trouble getting it serviced, saying they couldn't source parts. It's likely a 60's, possibly 70's dress model. Don't know anything else about it. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone I/he can contact?

Not sure when he tried to get the watch serviced, but several decades ago, dealer networks and service centers were not as well established in the US as they are these days. Plus its easier to get contact info for watch companies searching google. Anyway, I agree with Bengal Stripe, that he probably took it to a local watch shop who didn't really know what to make of it and had no access to the parts unless they have a contract with Patek.

That being said, Patek (and most high end brands) will service any watch they have produced, and they will fabricate new parts, if they are unable to source new old stock original parts. Although, if they have to fabricate parts it will be very expensive. I had read a story about someone inheriting a non-functioning complicated VC that was better than 90 years old and it was over $10,000 to fabricate parts and get it serviced & running again...although that was for a very complicated watch, and luckily, the watch was worth many multiples of $10K. I think a basic service on a Patek time only watch starts at around $1,200. Its possible, Patek (the Henri Stern Agency if sending it to NYC) may have or be able to get the parts so fabrication may not even be necessary. Its just nice to know that even if expensive, these works of art can always be repaired and passed down for other generations to enjoy.

Subs, eh?

Well, I just so happen have this early LV in hand at this very moment. It's in desperate need of a cleaning and has a few minor scuffs, but it's complete, all-original, and unpolished. As this is a 2003 watch, it would be sweet if it was a mint-condition example, but this one should look just fine once I get rid of the wrist cheese, and I figure I'd be able wear it without stress.

Anyone want to talk me out of buying this thing? :colgate:

Sorry, can't talk you out of it. I've had my SubLV for over a decade and I love mine. Easy to wear, classic size, and I really like the black maxi dial with the contrast of the green bezel. :decisions:
DSCN0422_021_021.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Dino. I have also heard that the Sub Date outsells the Sub by quite a margin. Makes sense. People who aren't watch people and want a Rolex want the cyclops. Otherwise not everyone will know they are wearing a Rolex. And I guess they could also want the convenience of the date. Haha

Yes, I'm not surprised by the idea of the Sub date outselling the Sub. There are lots of non-watch people that buy 1 good watch, and they like the convenience of having a date. Some of my other watch friends and I have lamented about some brands putting dates on certain dress watches and ruining their aesthetics, however, we are well aware that we are a small segment of the watch buying public, and that putting a date on a watch broadens its appeal to average consumers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads